Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bill Power court case  (Read 46444 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2009, 17:53:50 »

Isn't there also a Stratton St Philip?

I've always thought that Penge sounds like an unfortunate venereal complaint.  I wouldn't want to live there.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2009, 18:48:07 »

You wouldn't ,i cant think of one redeeming feature about it, bar that its better than tulse Hill, although that isn't a high accolade.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2009, 18:52:30 »

If the judge puts on an orange wig......They're fucked!

Clems Army!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2009, 18:58:38 »

I've always thought that Penge sounds like an unfortunate venereal complaint.  I wouldn't want to live there.

Well there's a St Phillip's Road....never heard of it, which doesn't mean it's not so, I'll do a bit of research.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2009, 19:00:42 »

No, although there is a ward called St Phillips that covers part of Stratton!  It's the Headlands, Wheeler Avenue, Meadocroft sort of area!  Believe the church on Beechcroft Road is called St. Phillips!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2009, 19:11:40 »

You'd be correct in all that Ronnie.....here's something to chew on though..my 1956 OS map, has a Stratton Green marked. Shown as a triangle of land between Ermine Street, the railway and Swindon Road.  Am I imagining the chapel in Swindon Road being called Stratton Green baptist chapel or similar?

Also of interest is Stratton Park....think it must have been the name given to the sizeable house which still stands near the White Hart.  The nearby Halt on the railway was known as Stratton Park Halt.
Talk Talk

« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2009, 19:22:38 »

No, although there is a ward called St Phillips that covers part of Stratton!  It's the Headlands, Wheeler Avenue, Meadocroft sort of area!  Believe the church on Beechcroft Road is called St. Phillips!

The ward is named after the parish of St.Philips. The church's biggest claim to national fame is this, which happened back in 2000:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1045021.stm
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2009, 21:20:20 »

Used to live near St Phillip's Road.  Besides the nearby classic Watney's pub (can't believe typed that), I recall major gossip that a resident of St Phillip's Road left his missus to live with his boyfriend.  We thought that was highly assuming as we were only kids, and it was in the Sixties. 
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2009, 21:24:45 »

Used to live near St Phillip's Road.  Besides the nearby classic Watney's pub (can't believe typed that), I recall major gossip that a resident of St Phillip's Road left his missus to live with his boyfriend.  We thought that was highly assuming as we were only kids, and it was in the Sixties. 

Would that have been The Wheatsheaf, Dores Road.

You'd have thought seeing as how Stratton already had a Wheatsheaf they'd have come up with something more original.
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2009, 21:29:03 »

Would that have been The Wheatsheaf, Dores Road.

You'd have thought seeing as how Stratton already had a Wheatsheaf they'd have come up with something more original.

Bloody 'ell couldn't remember the name of it.  It was about as rustic as the Brunel Center. I don't recall actually drinking there, might have bought some bottles of cider and crisps from the Offy.  Seem to remember being twelve wasn't an obstacle to getting served in the Offy.

Just remembered there was a coach firm quite close, rivals to Rimes.  They had a fleet of underpowered compared with Rimes out of date luxury vehicles.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 18, 2009, 21:34:53 by Crozzer » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2009, 21:32:20 »

Bloody 'ell couldn't remember the name of it.  It was about as rustic as the Brunel Center. I don't recall actually drinking there, might have bought some bottles of cider and crisps from the Offy.  Seem to remember being twelve wasn't an obstacle to getting served in the Offy.

Offy's in pubs used to be quite common didn't they.  I suppose the idea was you sent your kid along for some beer, and they didn't actually have to go in the pub.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2009, 21:33:06 »

You'd be correct in all that Ronnie.....here's something to chew on though..my 1956 OS map, has a Stratton Green marked. Shown as a triangle of land between Ermine Street, the railway and Swindon Road.  Am I imagining the chapel in Swindon Road being called Stratton Green baptist chapel or similar?

Also of interest is Stratton Park....think it must have been the name given to the sizeable house which still stands near the White Hart.  The nearby Halt on the railway was known as Stratton Park Halt.
I am sure you are correct about the Baptist church Reg.  That house has been converted into offices now, but you can see it was fairly imposing.  Guess at one time it stood in its own grounds known as Stratton Park.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2009, 21:40:19 »

I am sure you are correct about the Baptist church Reg.  That house has been converted into offices now, but you can see it was fairly imposing.  Guess at one time it stood in its own grounds known as Stratton Park.

I'll see if I can find out a bit more about it when I've got some time.

There's a short stretch of Ermine Street just out of the White Hart, that has been by-passed various roads and still manages to retain something of its character.
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2009, 22:06:29 »

Again more nostalgia, often traffic being backed up by the White Hart due to cows being herded.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2009, 22:08:36 »

The ward is named after the parish of St.Philips. The church's biggest claim to national fame is this, which happened back in 2000:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1045021.stm

The he-she vicar christened my cousin's little girl. I believe it was his/her's first service back after the op. Very surreal.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: