Poll
Question: Five latest news stories on homepage?
Yay
Nay
Yes, but under the topics

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Five latest news stories on homepage?  (Read 5984 times)
Barry Scott

« on: Sunday, January 25, 2009, 18:43:54 »

People might prefer the homepage to be without the 5 latest stories, or they might like them, vote away. Result decides fate. Smiley
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, January 25, 2009, 18:45:36 »

I like the idea of having them on the home page, just not right at the top so I have to scroll down to see the new/threads posts box below, if that makes sense.
Barry Scott

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, January 25, 2009, 18:49:41 »

You mean have them below all the posts instead? It can be done, i'll add that to the options.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, January 25, 2009, 19:04:15 »

I'm not bothered either way.

If I see the green flashy thing in the news section then it tells me that their is some news. Quite self explanatory methinks.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, January 25, 2009, 19:07:23 »

You mean have them below all the posts instead? It can be done, i'll add that to the options.

I dunno then one would still under the other. Perhaps side by side.....but thats only my preference
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, January 25, 2009, 19:09:44 »

i dont like it

Things get better but they never get good
flammableBen

« Reply #6 on: Sunday, January 25, 2009, 19:12:08 »

I had a bit of a think, and with preference of things I read and pay attention to, I'd go with soemthing like this.

[url width=800 height=900]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d35/flammableben/teffrontpage.png[/url]

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, January 25, 2009, 19:17:30 »

Yes ^!
Barry Scott

« Reply #8 on: Sunday, January 25, 2009, 19:26:33 »

I had a bit of a think, and with preference of things I read and pay attention to, I'd go with soemthing like this.

That idea is certainly better, but it's not a case of just ticking boxes unfortunately. Still, i'll see what i can do.
flammableBen

« Reply #9 on: Sunday, January 25, 2009, 19:35:37 »

That idea is certainly better, but it's not a case of just ticking boxes unfortunately. Still, i'll see what i can do.

yeah. I figured I was probably being difficult. Sorry dude.

flammableBen

« Reply #10 on: Sunday, January 25, 2009, 19:39:46 »

Does index.php pull some set up configuration from somewhere to decide how it lays out the tables, or are is the table layout hardcoded in and it just queries the content to fill them up?

I presume the former.

If my question even makes any sense.
Barry Scott

« Reply #11 on: Sunday, January 25, 2009, 20:33:34 »

It's a bit of both, but mainly the latter. The index, i think, is mainly includes, based around if/else statements. One of the includes, in one format or another, will be the simpleportal addon. This then queries the database, based on the setup within the admin. This is then fairly simply displayed with hardcoded tables. The code isn't too bad, it's just all that awful tabled data. I fucking hate tables. Smiley

I should read up on something smf call SSI. It's some sort of includes system to build your own front end or some bollocks. This seems likely to be how the whole simpleportal thing is coded.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, January 25, 2009, 20:41:27 »

I'm not too bothered either way.
flammableBen

« Reply #13 on: Sunday, January 25, 2009, 20:42:58 »

Tables can be a cunt. Although not too bad if it's only things spanning columns. It's when you start combining in the colspans with things spanning rows that it gets horribly messy.

That and there's always 1 fucking column/row/cell which decides that it isn't playing fair with your lovingly worked out fully relative table design. I used to like cheating the basic layout in dreamweaver and then cannibalising the html, but it's got a nasty habit of throwing in some absolute widths in there when you don't want them; what's the fucking point of having width=33%, width=33%, width=340. Well I can think of some uses, but you know what I mean.

Throw in doing half of it with css class definition thingies and you're better off with a sheet of graph paper and a pencil.
Barry Scott

« Reply #14 on: Sunday, January 25, 2009, 20:58:59 »

Well, exactly, given the choice i'd have it in valid css code anyday, far cleaner. I can't imagine it'd be too hard, it's got no spans, i think, and for the main posts section it's 100% and side bits are absolute. I just can't really be arsed at this moment, and lost is about to start! It's attached if you wanna look.

* SPortal.template.php (23.76 KB - downloaded 244 times.)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: