Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 ... 57   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is The Recession Affecting You?  (Read 80711 times)
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #510 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 08:43:39 »

One in 50 suggests to me it's not very succesful. At least if you applied for 50 jobs you'd probably get at least 5 interviews.

I have applied for 8 jobs....lets see how succesful i am!!??

Clems Army!
stfctownenda

Ignore
« Reply #511 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 08:57:25 »

One in 50 suggests to me it's not very succesful. At least if you applied for 50 jobs you'd probably get at least 5 interviews.

Chances are there is not 50 jobs though, where as there is 50 companies you send your CV to.  Spec'ing in also shows initiative especially if you put across yourself in the right way.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #512 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 09:25:09 »

Chances are there is not 50 jobs though, where as there is 50 companies you send your CV to.  Spec'ing in also shows initiative especially if you put across yourself in the right way.

Both valid points, but I'm just speaking from experience. I sent loads of speculative CV's when I left college (that was 5 years ago when the job market was in a lot better position) and only had the courtesy of 1 reply which was to tell me they didn't accept speculative applications.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #513 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 09:51:10 »

Sorry to hear of those of you who've been made redundant.

The 2 main companies I work for in live music are also struggling.  Its all gone safety first.  The busy periods are still busy (october - december, march - may) but the quiet times are now ridiculously quiet.

Ive taken on a second job cheffing to make sure some moneys coming through, but peveresly Im likely to be turning round to one of the companies and turning down their work.

Since the turn of the year Ive had 88 days work in my main job, only 9 from one of these companies when last year Id had 32 in the same period, I cant balance it anymore and justify it that I owe loyalty to both companies, so Im going to have to throw all the eggs in one basket.  

At the same time Im taking on any work I can get from odd companies who are only going to give me 10 days work a year but it'll be at times when Im not needed by the main company.

Its a lot of hustling and to be honest its doing my head in trying to make sure I can support the family.

It's a weird world freelancing.

If its tour managing and the like the you do, what you have just posted is one of the main reasons why i gave it up 10 years ago, too much fishing for odd fortnights here and there. did my head in after a while, plus the majority of musicians are fucking idiots Smiley
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #514 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 10:12:20 »

To be fair 25 in 6 weeks is not a lot (only 5 a week), you need to blitz it.  Try spec'ing your CV into companies as well just put a covering letter with what type of work your looking for and what your good at. The more people you get the CV out to the better.

Cheers for the advice. 5 a week may not be that much, but I find them hard to face sometimes when it comes to the section where I have to say what my skills and experience are and how they're relevant.

I'm thinking that if I do end up managing to snag a transfer at blockbuster (current workplace) then I'm not likely to get more than 30 hours a week, which might leave me free to volunteer somewhere and get some experience. Best of a worst case scenario, that.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #515 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 10:18:47 »

If its tour managing and the like the you do, what you have just posted is one of the main reasons why i gave it up 10 years ago, too much fishing for odd fortnights here and there. did my head in after a while, plus the majority of musicians are fucking idiots Smiley

I do very occasionally tour manage and yes musicians are still fucking idiots!  Last time I did it was Kula Shaker which was good because they're grown ups! You get treated right and you dont have to drag bands out of clubs at 3am as they're late for bus call.

Mostly Im a promoters rep.  Which is like TMing but you're not beholden to a bunch of kids with huge egos!

But yes the world of Freelancing in live music is hard.  I started this full time after running venues 6 years ago and have hardly ever had to really hustle for work as I am now.  Reputation and relationships with promoters agents, bands etc has seen to that in the past.  

Im up to Manchester on thursday to throw all my eggs into one basket and hope they can guarantee me some sort of level of work that I can survive on.  We'll see.  Getting out of the business and retraining so I can get a job where I don't have to hustle like this and then worry about paying my tax is a distinct possibility.

Never knowingly overstated.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #516 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 10:26:36 »

Im pretty sure our paths must have crossed over the years, its tough. moved from live music into clubland, much easier to make money and less idiots to deal with
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #517 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 10:59:48 »

Sure we must have done.  I started just as a crew boy in a student union in 96 so Its been a while. 

Unfortunately the one thing I found I wasnt good at was the clubs, otherwise Id be looking for that sort of work.

Never mind Ill get my way out of this freelance trap one way or another 

Never knowingly overstated.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #518 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 11:21:18 »

I.m fucked off with selling BUT...i've been doing it since i was 19 and it becomes a sort of trade....trapped!

Clems Army!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #519 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 19:07:18 »

Word.

Everyone else, apologies.

No fun, you didn't even bite at my post.
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #520 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 19:16:09 »

Jobs in my company (not my account) are fast dissolving - especially those related to the finance industry.  I've just applied for a more Senior position, however knowing how many people are likely to go for it internally and externally (due to current climate) don't fill me with much confidence.

Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #521 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 19:31:19 »

Depending on if you can keep your current job then it may work out better not to get it!

They probably won't fill that position but pass the work on to someone lower down with a very small payrise. Instead of manager you become 'assistant manager' when really you're doing a manger's job. You'll get half of the pay increase if you're lucky. It's what they do in recession. Then when things go more tits up in the next few months they'll get rid of you because you're more expensive to employ than before.

Ask Fred.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #522 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 19:36:34 »

I too thought about applying for a different role within the company, but came to the same conclusion as Si and didn't bother.

First roles to go when job cuts come about are middle management.
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #523 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 19:56:39 »

Luckily this job is just senior of what I'm doing at the moment - but with lower work load and more direct work with the client/process improvement etc.  Its worth going for as its the kind of company where you have to make your interest known in order to ensure the top management know you want to progress - plus if you apply, your manager has to work on a career development plan so even thats a bonus in its own right! 

Just gotta ride the storm and hope to god we have jobs left at the end of it!
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #524 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 22:34:03 »

Depending on if you can keep your current job then it may work out better not to get it!

They probably won't fill that position but pass the work on to someone lower down with a very small payrise. Instead of manager you become 'assistant manager' when really you're doing a manger's job. You'll get half of the pay increase if you're lucky. It's what they do in recession. Then when things go more tits up in the next few months they'll get rid of you because you're more expensive to employ than before.

Ask Fred.

Word

Crying

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 ... 57   Go Up
Print
Jump to: