Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 57   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is The Recession Affecting You?  (Read 78696 times)
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 11:05:36 »

Found out last night that a couple of mates down here are looking at redundancy as more companies go to the wall, or downsize.

It's becoming very real in these parts and, with hardly any industry to speak of, things are looking bleak.

It's not touched me personally and touch wood it won't, but has anyone on here felt its effects yet?

It's All Good..............
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 11:09:27 »

Nope. (**touches wood**)
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 11:12:03 »

I think its in the back of everyone's mind in all honesty
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 11:14:17 »

Was made redundant last month. I still have a job with the same company, only I now work on commission only without a salary. It could turn out that I make more money, but then maybe not.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 11:16:58 »

I think its in the back of everyone's mind in all honesty
Yup. So far, I've actually benefitted short term as petrol's gone down and my mortgage payment has halved. But "there for the grace of God" and all that, not counting my chickens and I'm sure I'll get bitten on the arse long term like everyone else
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 11:20:27 »

much like paul says really.

I've not been negativly effected personally and I dont know anyone who has been yet (thankfully)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 11:21:41 »

Definitely.  I am less concerned about job security as I was a few months ago, but the worry will not disappear completely until the tone of the news flow improves.

On a financial level, my pay rise this year was not what it has been in previous years and my house is worth less than it was this time last year (not I'm really worried about a fall in a paper profit).  On the other hand, my mortgage costs have fallen dramatically over the last few months.

Like millions of others, I am hoarding cash at the moment (which I accept is not great for the economy as a whole).  When things improve, we will likely make a few capital purchases (new kitchen, bathrooms etc) and pay off another slice of the mortgage.  But for now, we're digging in and keeping our fingers crossed.
sheepshagger
Suburban Capitalist........

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 11:26:44 »

I was OK until the second half of November.  Since then my sales have literally fallen off a cliff.

This time last December (2007) i sold around $3.2 Million of kit - December 2008 was just above $1 Million - so massive shortfalls - bloody unfortunate when salary is determined purely on commission !!

Cannot really see when it is going to change either - for me the biggest single influence is the £ to $ exchange rate - customers are not bringing in stock because they are afraid of more currency fluctuations....

Wise men say........
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 11:37:44 »

Me and my Mrs' jobs, safe for the time being, I'd be surprised if I get laid off as we're pretty financially stable according to reports, but Mrs job could go without much notice tbh.  Fingers crossed.

Weird how 2 years, even one year, makes such a difference, is there anyone out there who doesn't know anyone who's lost their job??

Mate worked at Woolies distribution, lost job, other mate Mrs' made redundant.  One of my best mates was laid off on Friday (via text), was due to go back to work on Monday.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 11:43:52 »

HMV are safe for now. I want to leave but I can't until a job is lined-up and at this stage it's been hard finding one that works with uni and paying the bills.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 11:44:41 »

Anyone losing their job has been my deepest sympathy.  Redundancy can sometimes have a silver lining, but it's rarely a pleasant experience at the time...especially when the economic backdrop is as poor as it is at the moment.

However, I am constantly on the look out for a glimmer of good news, and remain cautiously optimistic that we should at least see the beginning of the end some time this year.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 11:57:55 »

I work in HR at Nationwide so anything can happen.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 11:58:52 »

I might lose my job in April but has nothing to do with the recession. It is then that this whole mess might start to affect me. Balls.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Sussex

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 12:02:05 »

Yep. Royally screwed. Officially redundant on New Years Eve. Off to the solicitor at 2.30 to get the statutory compromise agreement checked and signed so I can get the redundancy money. Restructuring my fucking arse!

Bugger all out there in my line of work at the moment too. My head is in a very bad place.

I'm clinging on to the fact that something will turn up. Sob.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 12:03:57 »

Yep. Royally screwed. Officially redundant on New Years Eve. Off to the solicitor at 2.30 to get the statutory compromise agreement checked and signed so I can get the redundancy money. Restructuring my fucking arse!

Bugger all out there in my line of work at the moment too. My head is in a very bad place.

I'm clinging on to the fact that something will turn up. Sob.

It's only going to get worse.

(I'm here to help)

It's All Good..............
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 57   Go Up
Print
Jump to: