Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Staunton  (Read 3468 times)
Dazzza

« on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 17:53:19 »

Former Republic of Ireland manager Steve Staunton has emerged as a shock contender to take over at Swindon Town.

The Robins board had made a decision last week about their chosen successor to Maurice Malpas, believed to be Newcastle United academy director Richard Money, only to be de-railed when on the verge of an announcement due to a disagreement over compensation.

This has allowed new candidates to enter the race for the vacant position and Chairman Andrew Fitton revealed discussions have already taken place with people not on the previous shortlist as he looks for a swift resolution to the on-running saga.

“A number of conversations took place at the weekend with potential applicants as well as advisors,” he said.

"We’re still quite focused on the shortlist we had but the landscape is changing all the time with people like Danny Wilson, Gary McAllister and Steve Staunton becoming available.

“Some people who have suddenly become available may directly influence our thinking and others may not.”

The Gazette understands that no approach has been made to or received by former Swindon player / coach Paul Ince.

The board have not discarded a second approach for Money but were frustrated to be thwarted at the last minute when they believed a deal was in place.

Southampton youth team coach Dave Hockaday, who made over 200 appearances for the club, was believed to be the second name on last week’s shortlist and is still under consideration for the position.

“It has always been urgent but nobody will thank me if I make the wrong decision,” said Fitton.

“It does feel as though you’ve got less time than before though.

“I’d like it to be resolved quite quickly but I can’t be held hostage to that statement.”

Meanwhile director Nick Watkins admitted the board were disappointed to miss out on their previous top target after the prior weeks of deliberations and negotiations.

“All of us would have loved someone to be here before the Yeovil game, especially given the eventual result,” said Watkins.

“One or two new names could come into the reckoning now because the world changes at a rapid rate.

“That’s not to say they definitely will but people like Danny Wilson and Steve Staunton are men of great character.

“It is now a matter of confidence. We’ve seen Sam Allardyce, Harry Redknapp and Joe Kinnear go into new clubs and have an immediate impact so why can’t that happen at Swindon Town as well.

“We’ll continue to pursue the right man and if Santa Claus can deliver someone before Christmas that would be great.”

http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/sport/3996364.Staunton_a_surprise_contender_for_Swindon_s_top_job/

Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 18:06:58 »

i don't think that'd be an awful appointment

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
STFC_Gazza

« Reply #2 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 18:14:11 »

Decent name, decent pedigree.... a fresh aproach. Bring him in!
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 18:35:41 »

A leeds fan was on 606 yesterday slating him for their defensive woes

Things get better but they never get good
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 18:38:55 »

I'd be happy with that!

bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 18:39:48 »

Remember some of his interviews when in charge of Ireland. Very dour and wouldn't inspire anyone. Can't believe he's any better than Malpas.

Hopefully a change of heart over Richard Money is in order.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #6 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 18:42:11 »

35.29 & win ratio for Ireland, not bad for a tin pot international team.
jimbob

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 18:48:14 »

no thanks Stan
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 18:51:24 »

Stan Staunton was in charge when Ireland lost a qualifier to Cyprus.

I think he would be a huge gamble, and therefore a terrible appointment.
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 18:54:34 »

not for me, worst candidate so far. No thanks.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #10 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 18:55:14 »

Still confuses me how people can want Staunton (dubious spell at Eire and that's it as a manager) but totally dismiss Hockaday with over a decade of coaching experience (not that I'm wanting us to go into detail but you know what I mean) - ho hum.

Erm, yeah - anyone without a club or two of lower league experience is a risk - let's add Staunton to this infinite list of potentials shall we.
« Last Edit: Monday, December 22, 2008, 18:59:33 by Rich Pullen » Logged
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 18:58:45 »

I agree with you RP. My saints supporting mate reckons hockaday would be ace. Staunton is very unproven, had an ok record with ireland but played against some utter chuff. He's not what we're after.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 19:01:50 »

I disagree juddie, Stan is very proven. Cyprus, fer chrissakes.

If I make a big enough song and dance about this then hopefully "Fitts" will scrub him off the list.
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 19:03:00 »

I mean, we're not all gonna gree on who gets it, but there are a few we can safely say would be given little chance at all, and staunton's one of them?!

I wonder if fitton reads this forum?
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 19:04:12 »

I've heard that he does read it but chooses not to contribute
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: