Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: on the basis that....  (Read 10430 times)
jimbob

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Saturday, October 4, 2008, 19:22:37 »

unconfirmed,rumour mill,long time ago,nothing to do with football and not meaning to be ambiguous etc......but hasn't calderwood left a bit of baggage here that may prevent him coming back??
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Saturday, October 4, 2008, 19:28:36 »

Unless he pissed off the tea man surely its too long ago to matter

Things get better but they never get good
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, October 4, 2008, 19:30:39 »

Yeah, I know I get that bit, but a lot of those advocating Calderwood/Ling etc add in the "Town through and through" , "always gave 100%" etc bits as if their being an ex-player will somehow make them a better (rather than more popular) manager

The ex-player as manager discussion gets brought up with depressing regularity, and every single time it does my fucking head in.

JPC82 (hope you're feeling better this evening, by the way) would have Calderwood back in a heartbeat.  Why?!  Think about it.  If he became our manager, maybe he would take us up in a blaze of glory.  Just as likely, however, we would drift around mid table for a season or two and he would get the sack after a bad spell.  Colin Calderwood is a Swindon legend, and I would like to keep him that way.  Returning to an old club is a rarely a good move, as invariably our heroes are shown up for the mortals they really are.  I never want to risk hearing 'Calderwood out!' from the Town End.  It would make me want to give up altogether.

And Martin Ling being 'Town through & through'?  I read an interview with Lingy in one of the London freesheets on my way home from work last week.  He was talking about his 5 year tenure as manager of Orient, and how that made him the 6th longest serving manager in the League.  In my book, that makes him quite Orient through & through.  He may well do a job for us at some point in the future, but the seasons he played for us does not itself qualify him to do this.  The greatest managers we have had while I have been following Swindon were Ardiles, Hoddle and Sturrock...and none of them was an ex-player.

All of which, of course, is completely fucking irrelevant because we have a manager (himself a playing 'legend') called Maurice Malpas.
jimbob

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Saturday, October 4, 2008, 19:31:28 »

Unless he pissed off the tea man surely its too long ago to matter

guess I was too cryptic dave....try tea lady!
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Saturday, October 4, 2008, 19:35:52 »

He had sex with the tea lady?

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Saturday, October 4, 2008, 19:36:40 »

He had sex with the tea lady?
Maybe he took tea with the sex lady?
jimbob

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Saturday, October 4, 2008, 19:37:20 »

The ex-player as manager discussion gets brought up with depressing regularity, and every single time it does my fucking head in.

JPC82 (hope you're feeling better this evening, by the way) would have Calderwood back in a heartbeat.  Why?!  Think about it.  If he became our manager, maybe he would take us up in a blaze of glory.  Just as likely, however, we would drift around mid table for a season or two and he would get the sack after a bad spell.  Colin Calderwood is a Swindon legend, and I would like to keep him that way.  Returning to an old club is a rarely a good move, as invariably our heroes are shown up for the mortals they really are.  I never want to risk hearing 'Calderwood out!' from the Town End.  It would make me want to give up altogether.

And Martin Ling being 'Town through & through'?  I read an interview with Lingy in one of the London freesheets on my way home from work last week.  He was talking about his 5 year tenure as manager of Orient, and how that made him the 6th longest serving manager in the League.  In my book, that makes him quite Orient through & through.  He may well do a job for us at some point in the future, but the seasons he played for us does not itself qualify him to do this.  The greatest managers we have had while I have been following Swindon were Ardiles, Hoddle and Sturrock...and none of them was an ex-player.

All of which, of course, is completely fucking irrelevant because we have a manager (himself a playing 'legend') called Maurice Malpas.

he may have been a playing legend, but do you seriously see him being a legend of a manager when we look back in 20 years??(or even 2 years for that matter)
« Last Edit: Saturday, October 4, 2008, 19:43:09 by jimbob » Logged
jimbob

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Saturday, October 4, 2008, 19:38:29 »

Maybe he took tea with the sex lady?

if we were playing hunt the thimble, i'd say you're kinda luke warm at the moment....
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Saturday, October 4, 2008, 19:40:40 »

he had tea with a sex lady?

Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Saturday, October 4, 2008, 19:42:50 »

he may have been a playing legend, but do you seriously see him being a legend of a manager when we look back in 20 years??(or even 2 years for that matter)

No I don't, but that's not my point.  I'm saying that if Malpas does go (and, for the record, I don't believe the time has come for that to happen) I sincerely hope that candidates who happen to have played for us in the past are not given preferential treatment in the selection process for a replacement.
jimbob

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Saturday, October 4, 2008, 19:49:45 »

No I don't, but that's not my point.  I'm saying that if Malpas does go (and, for the record, I don't believe the time has come for that to happen) I sincerely hope that candidates who happen to have played for us in the past are not given preferential treatment in the selection process for a replacement.

neither do I. However if a non ex-town player was in the frame e.g. holloway, I think he would be more likely to use us as a stepping stone to get his profile raised again if he were to be successful here. Calderwood has (to a degree) shown loyalty so far in his life both as a player and a manager (lets forget the tea lady!)
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #41 on: Saturday, October 4, 2008, 19:53:40 »

I would rather a manager who has had success and maybe failed on the way rather tham a manager who has just failed
jimbob

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Saturday, October 4, 2008, 20:04:27 »

trevor francis it is then Cheesy
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #43 on: Saturday, October 4, 2008, 20:05:30 »

Haha let us stay as we are then
Spencer_White

« Reply #44 on: Saturday, October 4, 2008, 20:16:45 »

But that means we will have Fitton and Watkins going through all that interview crap again, trying to pick a manager who will listen to his team preferences.

I can make this post, because I know Fitton doesnt read internet forums because he thinks they are a waste of time. Hes probably right on that one!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: