Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Hicky....  (Read 3852 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, September 2, 2008, 18:10:24 »

....retiring at season's end  Crying
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, September 2, 2008, 18:13:22 »

Isn't he about 40 now?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, September 2, 2008, 18:18:53 »

Isn't he about 40 now?

Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, September 2, 2008, 18:21:58 »

Ahhh my first reaction was 43 but i changed my post to 40 in the hope i'd be right. In any event i'm still wrong. Hick's had a good career to be fair.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, September 2, 2008, 18:40:18 »

Ahhh my first reaction was 43 but i changed my post to 40 in the hope i'd be right. In any event i'm still wrong. Hick's had a good career to be fair.

Worcestershire have always been my second  favourite county....so I've followed his career since about 85.

Well recall staring in disbelief at teh ceefax scorecard when Hicky took 405 no off Somerset in 88.

Back then when waiting to qualify he was just a phenomenon....unfortunately it didn't quite work out at test level....but there were some good knocks like the 98 no at Sydney when Atherton declared and deprived him of a century v Convicts.

His one day stuff for England was decent though.

My favourite Hick memory though was on Question of Sport, I suppose around 94, when   the graphic showed a small clip of some action at the CG.. question: what ground? None of the other participants had a fucking clue, but Hicky knew.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, September 2, 2008, 18:47:39 »

I remember watching him (as a teenager) and Botham at Frocester in a special game to mark the building of the pavilion and bar. Botham put everything into a couple of six hits before getting out. Hick on the other hand seemed to gracefully wave the bat to dispatch ball after ball out of the ground at a rate of knots that I have not seen before nor after!

NMH

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, September 2, 2008, 18:53:31 »

I remember watching him (as a teenager) and Botham at Frocester in a special game to mark the building of the pavilion and bar. Botham put everything into a couple of six hits before getting out. Hick on the other hand seemed to gracefully wave the bat to dispatch ball after ball out of the ground at a rate of knots that I have not seen before nor after!

NMH

I used to cycle out to Frocester to watch cricket on a Sunday afternoon, I suppose early 80's....that was when pubs closed at 2:00 on a Sunday, so you could get a drink out there .
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 14:34:57 »

A good batsmen no doubt but was unfortunate in the fact he batted when ther were a hell of a lot of brilliant fast bowlers around....would make hay with todays cannon fodder.
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2008, 17:17:51 »

Interview with Hicky in todays Guardian.Nice pic from his last innings and farewell to the crowd.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/sep/16/worcestershire.cricket

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: