Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Yeovil - expert advice please  (Read 1797 times)
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« on: Friday, August 29, 2008, 16:10:19 »

Without wishing to take trade away from you, which is the best breakdown service to join ?

I'm looking for breakdown and recovery, I travel between Swindon and Devon regularly and would want to be returned to Swindon in the event of a problem.

Any suggestions ? I seem to remember you saying on here once before that some services don't take you all the way to your home address ?

Advice welcome from non professionals as well, thanks !

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
flammableBen

« Reply #1 on: Friday, August 29, 2008, 16:15:20 »

You fly planes?
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, August 29, 2008, 16:16:40 »

space rockets I bet
Sussex

« Reply #3 on: Friday, August 29, 2008, 17:08:38 »

Think he said that even if your policy cover has the 'get me all the way back home please' cover, some/most/all have a maximum distance they will take you in the small print. Probably have to find out what that distance is and get the policy amended to cover it if you need extra distanceage added.

I think.
STFC_Chris
Charlie Croker

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, August 29, 2008, 19:15:59 »

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/roadside-recovery

That gives a brief-ish explanation of the different sorts of service. I think RAC have £40 Quidco at the moment, if you are into that.
nevillew

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, August 30, 2008, 07:15:33 »

Thanks all (well, not Ben, really). I'll have a look over the next few days

flammableBen

« Reply #6 on: Saturday, August 30, 2008, 09:40:39 »

JFW didn't help either, you could not thank her. That's sexism that is.
nevillew

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, September 1, 2008, 07:06:57 »

JFW didn't help either, you could not thank her. That's sexism that is.

At least hers was a sort of compliment Ben (I took it as such anyway).

yeo

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, September 1, 2008, 09:59:22 »

My firm works for them all so its no matter.

Im sure there are stats out there to disprove what im about to say but this is from a personal expierence.

In an initial breakdown situation between 7.am and 11pm the Rac or AA are probably best,their Patrols are best equipped and best trained and most likely to fix your car.All other breakdown clubs use local Contracters and its frankly pot luck as to the quality of the mechanic thats coming to you.Not a problem if you have a bulb out or a flat battery but maybe one if its something complicated.But a local contracter will get to you quicker so its swings and roundabouts.Outside of these hours despite what their advertising says you will probably get a contracter sent by the big two anyway.

The Law has changed in the last year meaning recovery companys have to use Tachos outside of an 80ish mile radius of their base.So if you need recovering more than 80 miles its a distinct possibilty that you will have to have your recovery linked with another recovery company and your journey home is going to involve alot of waiting for trucks.Green Flag,Brittania Rescue,Call Assist keep control of each leg of the journey and contact their contracters directly during the journey and pressure them to be where they are supposed to be when they asked to..if that makes sense? The Rac put the whole journey in the hands of the 1st contacter,whilst most are able to arrange link ups with no problems at busy times it can be hard.

I dont know the price differnces but you definitly need Roadside and Full Recovery.Id say stuff like Onwards Travel and Parts its a waste of time on  the whole.Certainly worth everyone getting something,If the Highways or Police call a recovery company for you its £130 just to get you off the motorway.

Oh and if you have an accident I dont think the AA will recover you but the Rac will.

/
W56196272
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: