Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bradman  (Read 2780 times)
alanmayes

Ignore
« on: Sunday, August 24, 2008, 17:26:36 »

Wednesday 27th August would have been The Don's centenary.His cricketing feats and accumilation
of runs are legendary,as well as his impact upon the game.

I'm told that he scored a double hundred for one of the Aussie touring sides at Worcester in a day,with
comparative ease.However,a few year earlier in the 30's Duleepsinghi scored 300 in a day for Sussex!

An Aussie statistician now claims to have found Bradman's missing 4 runs, which would have given him an
average of 100.Probably fantasy.

Today's Independent has an interesting article about Bradman.I wouldn't agree with the author's choice of
top 10 batsmen,but it's all about opinions.

The best batsmen that i've ever seen would be Viv Richards.As for english  batsmen,from what i've read
and seen on film, Dennis Compton would be at the top, followed by Sir Jack Hobbs and Sir Len Hutton.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cricket/the-dons-century-why-bradman-reigns-as-greatest-ever-sportsman-907108.html

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
Rich Pullen

« Reply #1 on: Sunday, August 24, 2008, 17:32:01 »

The Aussie Ashes team I saw in the 1990's were ridiculously good. Steve Waugh was amazing the day I saw him play.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, August 24, 2008, 19:26:04 »

No doubt Bradman's stats are incomparable, but he "only" averaged 56 when the Ashes were taken 4-1by England in 32/33.

Such was the whining from the colonies about fast leg theory not being cricket, that the toffs who run the game ensured Jardine, Larwood etc were hounded from the game, and Bradman was off the hook (see what I did there Nev)
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, August 29, 2008, 15:54:53 »

Nicely 'slipped' in there Reg

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, August 30, 2008, 00:44:42 »

I can't believe this didn't have more press.  I've been following today's game avidly, and was completely unaware of the anniversary.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: