Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Pride  (Read 20259 times)
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Wednesday, August 20, 2008, 21:43:50 »

I recommend it Ben - I think you will like it
flammableBen

« Reply #211 on: Wednesday, August 20, 2008, 21:44:54 »

Big cook little cook, Ballamory and Charlie and Lola are my favourite modern shows.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #212 on: Wednesday, August 20, 2008, 22:47:20 »

Kids will generally find anything to rip the piss out of each other at school. There was a girl at my school who was rumoured to be adopted because, to put it politely, looked a darned sight uglier than the rest of her family. It also turned out she was in fact adopted and the piss taking probably made her feel like the lowest of lows. Funny thing is, I see her around now and then and she is one of those girls that turned out to be really attractive. So I guess she had the last laugh.

If gay pride festivals are about showing kids what gay people do when they get intimate, then no I would not take my kids there. Much like you wouldn't take your young child to a lap dancing club - it's just not appropriate. My impression was that the gay pride things aren't about that at all. Having never been to one, is my impression of them incorrect?

In this day and age when your kid hits puperty, they've probably already seen all kinds of things on the internet anyway.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Wednesday, August 20, 2008, 23:48:47 »

Ironside, i had a letter at the end of term to inform me they will be starting sex education when he goes back in year 5, thats 9 and 10yr olds.
I can ask for him to be excluded from these lessons if i wish.
The thing is i would have said it was way too soon before i had a child at his age... but these things come out in the school playground anyways and are really miss informed so i guess, in my opinion its better he is taught properly.

You had a child aged 9?
Lumps

« Reply #214 on: Thursday, August 21, 2008, 08:35:47 »

OK

Let me ask you one thing ......................

Why celebrate the whole "gay pride" thing ?

If all is equal and the gay community wants to be an integral part of our community, then why have a festival to highlight the fact they are in same sex relationships ?

I am very very proud to be a father, as are a lot of other people on here

I dont shout about it, nor ask for a special shindig to let people know that fact

Fred, I think the attitudes of a significant percentage of the people posting on this thread should tell you why there is a "gay pride" "out and proud" type reaction from a proportion of the gay population.

If other parts of society are constantly telling you that what you are is "wrong" "unnatural" and whatever else is code for "something I don't understand and therefore fear" then it's understandable that there's going to be a reaction to that saying "actually this is the way I am and I'm not ashamed of it no matter what you think about it".

So we have the "black is beautiful" thing in the late 60's and 70's, and so also gay pride.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Thursday, August 21, 2008, 08:45:05 »

.....and STFC Loud and Proud...
Lumps

« Reply #216 on: Thursday, August 21, 2008, 08:55:46 »

On the subject of gay adoption, I think its wrong because it just undermines the natural order of the family unit and replaces it with an "anything goes" approach which ultimately, is detrimental the children.

Do you want to tell me what "natural order of the family unit" you're referring to here?

Surely you don't mean the nuclear family unit, something that at best has a few hundred years of history behind it.

Your argument makes two major errors, the first as I've already pointed out is in assuming that the social arrangements that YOU are used to and grew up in are "natural", so if the norm when you were a kid was a mum, a dad and 2/3 kids this is "natural" and "normal".

Any brief study of history or anthropology will tell you that such family arrangements are socially constructed. Go back 500 years and see how many households you find, even in Britain, that have that sort of nuclear structure.

The second is more philosophically fundamental. You fall victim to what moral philosophers call "the naturalistic fallacy". That is, even if your chosen family model, the nuclear family, WAS the "natural" way of living, you have made the assumption that alone is enough to make it morally desirable.

And that's bollocks. Go down that road and we're back to being tribal hunter gatherers pretty fucking quickly.

Lumps

« Reply #217 on: Thursday, August 21, 2008, 08:57:06 »

.....and STFC Loud and Proud...

Exactly!

It's a shame they've dumped the L&P name as I was always rather fond of your splinter group Quiet and Ashamed.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Thursday, August 21, 2008, 09:07:29 »

Do you want to tell me what "natural order of the family unit" you're referring to here?

Surely you don't mean the nuclear family unit, something that at best has a few hundred years of history behind it.

Your argument makes two major errors, the first as I've already pointed out is in assuming that the social arrangements that YOU are used to and grew up in are "natural", so if the norm when you were a kid was a mum, a dad and 2/3 kids this is "natural" and "normal".

Any brief study of history or anthropology will tell you that such family arrangements are socially constructed. Go back 500 years and see how many households you find, even in Britain, that have that sort of nuclear structure.

The second is more philosophically fundamental. You fall victim to what moral philosophers call "the naturalistic fallacy". That is, even if your chosen family model, the nuclear family, WAS the "natural" way of living, you have made the assumption that alone is enough to make it morally desirable.

And that's bollocks. Go down that road and we're back to being tribal hunter gatherers pretty fucking quickly.

That'd be cool...

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Thursday, August 21, 2008, 09:08:58 »

Exactly!

It's a shame they've dumped the L&P name as I was always rather fond of your splinter group Quiet and Ashamed.

Q and A, is in mothballs and resting in a hangar up at the Science Museum, Wroughton.

After this week, I'm wondering whether its time to revive it.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: