Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 36   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Cyber Robins' Worldnet Adventure  (Read 56991 times)
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« on: Sunday, July 20, 2008, 17:31:53 »

Well, I know a few of you showed interest but couldn't come, but Swindons only fans team (as far as I'm aware) did a pretty good job at WorldNet this year. For those of you who don't have a clue what I'm talking about, it's a competition where fans of teams all over Europe compete every year in Leeds' Boddington Hall (donkey started a thread on it earlier in the year). The top two teams go through to the cup, the bottom two to a plate competition.

Anyway, as per usual we were pretty short on players, with only 13 to our name and no goalkeeper. Despite that, we managed a 0-0 draw with Arsenal Nigeria, a 1-0 win against Halifax and a 2-0 win against Hampton and Richmond yesterday. For the first time in years, we won our group! Not a bad feat really, when you consider last year we finished bottom, with 1 goal for and 8 against!

We entered the next stage of the competition this morning against one of the favourites, Bury (they had just won the IFA league, and they play as a team every week which is obviously something we lack). Despite a pretty good performance, we went down 2-0. An own goal in the first half, and a second which was pretty dubious IMO, as I'm certain our centre back was fouled. Nevertheless we did ourselves proud I think, and we looked pretty good kitted out in last seasons home kit which was kindly provided by the club (BIG thank you to them for their help).

I know a lot of you won't care, but the main reason for me posting this is simple - we need players! The older boys in the team are really getting on, and it is leaving us short for players. If you would be interested in participating next year (it is always a great weekend, cheap beer in the student halls!) then keep your eyes peeled for threads during next season or PM me or donkey, as he is the manager. The banter is always really good, we ended up playing on the pitch next to Oxford who kindly attended our games with their megaphone and gave us a nice rendition of "The Swindon family". I think they were just bitter, as they lost all their 3 games yesterday, scoring 1 and conceeding 10.

We've got a few pics we'll be posting up shortly to give you an idea of what it's like, but if anyone is up for it please let us know!
Rich Pullen

« Reply #1 on: Sunday, July 20, 2008, 17:45:05 »

Nice one Tails... If you keep me posted, I'll probably be available next year - Leeds is not hard to get to for me these days.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, July 20, 2008, 17:54:11 »

Sounds like a good laugh, I may be of use to you due to the fact that I can wield a pair of goalkeeping gloves with reasonable levels of competency (As long as there's no goal kicks involved)

Well done to the lot of you, now get training for next year, bring us some glory.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, July 20, 2008, 18:23:29 »

If I can afford it I will play next year, which is exactly what I said last year....but this year I mean it, well I meant it last year as well...
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, July 20, 2008, 18:34:05 »

Just had a quick look online, and found an article on the Arsenal Nigeria side we played...

The Gunners FC of Lagos will depart Nigeria on Thursday to participate in this year’s World Network Championship scheduled for Leeds in the United Kingdom from July 18 to 20.

The All-Stars side comprise of ex-Nigerian internationals and other individuals from the corporate community in the country but who are strictly fans of Premier League club Arsenal.

Among the former national football stars that will travel for the three-day event are ex-Eagles’ defender Taribo West, winger Friday Elahor as well as midfielders Friday Ekpo and Waidi Akanni, who is also the Chairman of the Lagos Football Association. Others are the Vice Chairman of the NFA, Amanze Uchegbulam; former board member Emmanuel Ibru and corporate icon Goke Coker while Nollywood stars Fred Amata and Don Pedro Obaseki will also be on the trip.

The Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Arsenal Nigeria, Chika Mordi, who is also the Chief Executive Officer of UBA Capital, said that the group would present two teams of regulars and All-Stars.

Virgin Nigeria, UBA, Transcorp and Tinapa are sponsoring the Gunners to the Leeds competition over 96 teams will engage in a knockout format till two finalists emerge.

I had no idea we played against some famous Nigerians!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, July 20, 2008, 18:49:16 »

Taribo West? Oh yes Cheesy
Rich Pullen

« Reply #6 on: Sunday, July 20, 2008, 18:52:48 »

You didn't notice Taribo West?

http://www.virginmedia.com/microsites/sport/slideshow/worst-haircuts/img_3.jpg
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, July 20, 2008, 18:54:51 »

They all looked like that to be honest.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, July 20, 2008, 18:55:56 »

They all had the awesome hair-horns?
Rich Pullen

« Reply #9 on: Sunday, July 20, 2008, 19:01:13 »

They all looked like that to be honest.

Isn't that what John Motson once said? Wink
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, July 20, 2008, 20:58:20 »

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/Tails_STFC/worldnet01.jpg

One of the squad, we took a load and it appears I've got the one where some of us (myself included) are doing stupid faces! Got a few more of us 'relaxing' before our big game against Halifax.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/Tails_STFC/worldnet02.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/Tails_STFC/worldnet03.jpg
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, July 20, 2008, 21:10:15 »

A few more random pictures of other teams.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/Tails_STFC/worldnet04.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/Tails_STFC/worldnet05.jpg
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, July 20, 2008, 22:22:22 »

How was the piss up Tails?
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, July 20, 2008, 22:36:58 »

Didn't really drink much mate, Friday night I had a fair few in the hotel with the other boys but Saturday night I just played pool with some of the younger guys in the team.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, July 20, 2008, 22:56:40 »

Didn't really drink much mate, Friday night I had a fair few in the hotel with the other boys but Saturday night I just played pool with some of the younger guys in the team.

You are one of the younger guys!

And for the first time the youth was more important to us than the experience of the older ones.  Times, they are a-changing.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 36   Go Up
Print
Jump to: