Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Parkin Summer Saga begins  (Read 3043 times)
Dazzza

« on: Wednesday, May 4, 2005, 18:48:01 »

Not that it has ever ended since his arrival but King's on the old BBC talking the situation up....

Swindon manager Andy King has conceded he has his work cut out to keep star striker Sam Parkin for another season.

"He will probably end up moving in the summer and that will be a nightmare for this club - I cannot replace his goals.

"He has another year but there are parts in his contract that allow him to speak to people and the monetary terms in his deal mean the bids will come in.

"I know we've had a bid this week. He's 24 and feels he needs to move his career on," King told BBC Sport.

"If we had gone up I know he would have stayed with the club and finalised the ambition of getting into the Premiership.

"But I feel he's done his three-year apprenticeship and if someone offers the money, he's an ambitious boy and he wants to play at a higher level.

"My job is to get a team together quickly and convince him we can do it here."

He's done it consistently every year and he's the best player in the division

Andy King

Parkin has scored 23 goals this term and has reached at least that mark in each of his three seasons at the County Ground - statistics fit for graduation to the Championship.

But King's frustration at losing the former Chelsea youth player is compounded by the fact he will not see much in financial recompense if, or more pertinently when, a move occurs.

"There's a contractual agreement and it ain't as much as we should get, but the offers are already in for him at that level," King added.

"Hull last year offered the same sort of money, but whether they'll do it again this summer having won promotion I don't know.

"I don't see why all of a sudden Peter Taylor would change his mind in 12 months because the boy has got his goals again.

"He's done it consistently every year and he's the best player in the division. Leroy Lita's done it for one year with Bristol City. Let's see if he does it three years on the trot.

"If I've taught him anything I've taught him to take the most ambitious route and not money. Money comes with success. If he chooses the right club the success will come."

Looks like we have had our first bid then and sadly King has let slip that he wants to move on and up.  

Biggest concern is that the current bid is of a similar ilk to the Hull one last summer and it's implied that it may be enough to break the minimum release clause.  

275k would be a disaster after Chelski take their cut the board cover their losses there won't be enough left for a Loyd Opara.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, May 4, 2005, 18:55:48 »

SSP will be playing his last game on Saturday.....I think we know that....the selling clause now about 300k, will be met by a number of interested parties, then its down to the player, after Chelsea have had their cut we'll get around 200K.

End of subject, King I suppose may get 50K to fund a replacement, but it will be a very difficult job.
DMR

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, May 4, 2005, 18:57:46 »

I'm going to write to Chelsea and ask them to waive the fee, they don't need it. Our board should try it, it can't hurt to try.

To be honest Daz, such a story was a matter of when rather than if, like Sam's move really. That just serves to make Saturday a more emotional game in my opinion. Let's hope the Town End are belting out "Super Sammy Parkin" come 4.45pm
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, May 4, 2005, 21:17:45 »

Wish I could be there to give him a proper send off.  A fucking legend.  But it's a bit defeatist of King to say he can't replace his goals - Parkin did not cost an arm and leg, whose to say we don't uncover another legend?
Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, May 4, 2005, 21:24:51 »

Quote from: "dave_m_russell"
I'm going to write to Chelsea and ask them to waive the fee, they don't need it.

i thought about that to, they gave all their gate receipts in the fa cup to that league 2 side (can't remember who).

they might overlook it if they get some free press. Copy in the sun with your letter, think we should all do it  Cool

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, May 4, 2005, 21:29:34 »

It is of course possible, but very difficult, when Macari had to replace the likes of Dave Bamber and Jimmy Quinn, he could spend 250K on Duncan Shearer also from Chelsea reserves.

McMahon couldn't replace Fjortoft straight away, but got Thorne, again 250K from Blackburn reserves, too late to stave off relegation.

Of Wayne Allison's 800K fee, McMahon had 500K to spend on George Ndah, so King may get another 50K if he's lucky....Kirk went from Boston to Cobblers for 125K, that's the benchmark price for a lower league proven goalscorer.
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, May 4, 2005, 21:30:12 »

Quote from: "Whits"
Quote from: "dave_m_russell"
I'm going to write to Chelsea and ask them to waive the fee, they don't need it.

i thought about that to, they gave all their gate receipts in the fa cup to that league 2 side (can't remember who).

they might overlook it if they get some free press. Copy in the sun with your letter, think we should all do it  Cool

sCUNThorpe
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, May 4, 2005, 21:33:36 »

I thought Shearer came from Huddersfield.

/
W56196272
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, May 4, 2005, 21:35:59 »

You're right of course he started at Chelsea before Huddersfield.
lebowski

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, May 4, 2005, 21:37:06 »

at the moment parkin's release fee is £450'000, and it goes down to £350'000 when he enters the final year of his contract.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, May 4, 2005, 21:51:56 »

set up an online petition to chelsea - they always work, supposedly  Wink
Johno

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, May 5, 2005, 06:32:32 »

Soapy Tit Wank

well he goes, it better be to a decent championship side, not someone like crewe who would probably come straight back down!
Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #12 on: Thursday, May 5, 2005, 09:11:14 »

to forest heard it here first

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
Titch

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, May 5, 2005, 09:26:04 »

Can't see that myself!  I would be really surprised if he went to a team just coming down to our division!

y wings are like a shield of steel!
Marie

« Reply #14 on: Thursday, May 5, 2005, 10:09:21 »

Quote from: "Whits"
to forest heard it here first

I cant see that either to be honest. But he may fit in quite well there. and at the momnet they do need a striker. Gareth Taylor going, although he was crap anyway. David Johnson off i assume and i cant see scott dobie playing in this league.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: