Pages: 1 ... 3049 3050 3051 [3052] 3053 3054 3055 ... 4030   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 9273361 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #45765 on: Saturday, June 18, 2022, 15:33:41 »

How does data work when any loanees we’re likely to get are youngsters with little or zero data available.

In fact, the whole thing seems to point to getting slightly older players in who at least have some data with which to make a decision.

There has to be data from the different ages groups you’d assume.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #45766 on: Saturday, June 18, 2022, 15:35:25 »

How does data work when any loanees we’re likely to get are youngsters with little or zero data available.

In fact, the whole thing seems to point to getting slightly older players in who at least have some data with which to make a decision.

Most academies will have data on players from a young age you’d imagine.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #45767 on: Saturday, June 18, 2022, 15:35:32 »

it's going to be interesting to see how the data side helps us.

I don't mean that in a disbelieving way.

but it's surely only a short cut to a short list, not an absolute

Yeah, it is supposed to provide you with a list of players that you should go and scout rather than just looking at any player that is available in the position you need.  In short, if the data doesn't put you on that list, you are probably not going to get scouted/considered.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #45768 on: Saturday, June 18, 2022, 15:35:44 »

@dv - yeah there does.

wherever is transferable to senior football is another matter.

I guess that's true of lower league players, do the stats hold in a higher league.

interesting stuff.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #45769 on: Saturday, June 18, 2022, 15:39:34 »

Quote from: Berniman
, it is supposed to provide you with a list of players that you should go and scout rather than just looking at any player that is available in the position you need.  In short, if the data doesn't put you on that list, you are probably not going to get scouted/considered.

I guess the aim is to buy more hits than misses.

may well work, but the odd Sam Parkin is going to slip through the net (though his stats before Northampton were ok)

maybe we'll still do a bit of traditional scouting based on recommendation too.

truth is, there is no foolproof system. All you can do is play the odds (imo)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #45770 on: Saturday, June 18, 2022, 15:40:49 »

Yeah, it is supposed to provide you with a list of players that you should go and scout rather than just looking at any player that is available in the position you need.  In short, if the data doesn't put you on that list, you are probably not going to get scouted/considered.

Would be interesting to know in hindsight how Harry McKirdy would have scored on his pre Swindon career data and whether his rather poor goals return would have meant the computer said no…

Obviously it’s not an exact science (nor is anyone claiming it is) but there will always be players who improve or just fit at certain clubs.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #45771 on: Saturday, June 18, 2022, 15:41:23 »

Would academies make available to other clubs the data on their young talent?

It’s different for players actually playing 1st team football as their data can be collected independently.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #45772 on: Saturday, June 18, 2022, 15:43:40 »

Would be interesting to know in hindsight how Harry McKirdy would have scored on his pre Swindon career data and whether his rather poor goals return would have meant the computer said no…

Obviously it’s not an exact science (nor is anyone claiming it is) but there will always be players who improve or just fit at certain clubs.
That’s my worry about McKirdy following Garner - the man who got him going. How much, realistically, would he be worth?
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #45773 on: Saturday, June 18, 2022, 15:43:44 »

Just wondering if anyone got examples of players that had signed for a club who had the perfect data stats but never delivered. Performances are not guaranteed which could be for many reasons so computer stats shouldn't be the only reason a player is purchased.

You just gotta keep livin man!

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #45774 on: Saturday, June 18, 2022, 15:46:17 »

Got to admit, I don’t fully understand all the data that is available on players and how to actually wheedle out the ones that might improve. Surely, many clubs would come to the same conclusion if a player’s stats showed him to be better than he was actually performing.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #45775 on: Saturday, June 18, 2022, 15:47:41 »

Got to admit, I don’t fully understand all the data that is available on players and how to actually wheedle out the ones that might improve. Surely, many clubs would come to the same conclusion if a player’s stats showed him to be better than he was actually performing.

Same as

You just gotta keep livin man!
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #45776 on: Saturday, June 18, 2022, 16:02:56 »

mckirdy is the type of player that buzzes around with a fantastic work ethic- perfect for a team that presses. im sure his data would highlight this work along with chances created. his expected goals would probably have been high even though his actually goals weren't pre swindon. it at least gives coaches something to work with and tune in with the team. thats where just looking at goals isn't very helpful- something that us fans always overlook when we sign players because we dont have much else to go on.

Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #45777 on: Saturday, June 18, 2022, 16:04:43 »

I guess the aim is to buy more hits than misses.

may well work, but the odd Sam Parkin is going to slip through the net (though his stats before Northampton were ok)

maybe we'll still do a bit of traditional scouting based on recommendation too.

truth is, there is no foolproof system. All you can do is play the odds (imo)

I am sure they will mix it up on occaisions, contacts will still be used no doubt - we would be mad to not consider the potential next Charlie Austin etc.

Would academies make available to other clubs the data on their young talent?

It’s different for players actually playing 1st team football as their data can be collected independently.

I think the data goes onto a central database that all clubs/scouts have access to.  I know a few posters on here that actually have access to it as well.

That’s my worry about McKirdy following Garner - the man who got him going. How much, realistically, would he be worth?

If we are offered decent money for him, I would cash in.  There is no guarantee that he will have a another season like last, and no guarantees that our new manager will get him ticking, or put up with his shananagans - finding a buyer might be the problem as I think the football world is well aware of the personality that comes with Harry

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #45778 on: Saturday, June 18, 2022, 16:19:32 »

Re. McKirdy, don’t be surprised to see Garner come in with an offer.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #45779 on: Saturday, June 18, 2022, 16:23:08 »

mckirdy is the type of player that buzzes around with a fantastic work ethic- perfect for a team that presses. im sure his data would highlight this work along with chances created. his expected goals would probably have been high even though his actually goals weren't pre swindon. it at least gives coaches something to work with and tune in with the team. thats where just looking at goals isn't very helpful- something that us fans always overlook when we sign players because we dont have much else to go on.

…but…did he buzz around pre Swindon?
Pages: 1 ... 3049 3050 3051 [3052] 3053 3054 3055 ... 4030   Go Up
Print
Jump to: