Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Today's game  (Read 1946 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« on: Saturday, April 16, 2005, 19:15:27 »

Bloody jammy Northerners still managed to get themselves promoted despite Evans saving a late penalty and being outplayed by us at times, especially in the second half. Grrr!  :x

Anyway, we played bloody well again and might have deserved the win, the first half was quite evenly matched but after the first five minutes or so of the second half, we dominated and had a lot of posession, created a lot of chances and the game became much more open with lots of space for Jenkins to bomb down the wing, Igoe, Smith and Howard to run the midfield and were comfortable at the back as Hull seemed content to play long balls upto Fagan who was being closely marked by Ifil throughout the game. I can't think of a real clearcut chance, but Fallon should have done better with a header in the second half which he didn't wrap his head around properly. The delivery from wide by Igoe and Jenkins on the right and Duke and Howard on the left was fairly good, although Howard's crosses went from superb to very poor throughout the game.

On the balance of play a draw was probably fair, but the ref was spineless and very home biased. I have no idea what the penalty was for and we must have only won half a dozen freekicks throughout the game, every single 50/50 decision went Hull's way, or so it seemed. The atmosphere was poor most of the game despite the 23,000 crowd but we created a bit of noise and the Hull fans are mouthy cunts. Some of them didn't seem terribly pleased with promotion when I walked back to the car! Nice ground though. Good view Cool

Again, it has to be said that if we'd played like we have the past two games over most of the season, we'd be where Hull and Luton are now.

Evans 8 Another excellent performance, kicking was a bit dodgy but he made lots of good saves, including the penalty. Commanded his area well.
Jenkins 8 Solid at the back, good going forward, totally committed to the cause - as ever.
O'Hanlon 7 Solid without being spectacular.
Heywood 7 As above.
Ifil 8 Kept Fagan very quiet and dealt well with everything that came his way. Man marking suits him perfectly, if only he could improve his concentration and positioning.
Duke 7 Steady but a bit error prone, looked better going forward than he has done lately.
Smith 7 A fairly quiet game by his standards, but worked hard and created chances.
Igoe 8 Relatively quiet in the first half, but sprung to life in the second and was central to everything we created. Superb at times but also disappeared entirely at other points. MOTM.
Howard 6 Lazy, selfish and only interested when the ball was at his feet. Showed some good touches and flashes of skill but largely anonymous.
Parkin 6 Bit harsh perhaps, but he did nothing all game and just looked annoyed and to be going through the motions. Hopefully not a sign of what's to come...
Fallon 8 Worked hard, created some chances and had some as well. Can't fault him, I'd leave him in until the end of the season to see how he does.
Dazzza

« Reply #1 on: Saturday, April 16, 2005, 19:19:05 »

Nice write up bud, seems pretty much the impression I got from HQ.

What did you think of the Kingston?  Nice stadium I did some time up at Kingston Communications just as it was opening and it was very impressive.

The whole community was right behind it, the rugby element probably helped but it's turned that club completely around.

yeo

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, April 16, 2005, 19:22:36 »

Are you at home?

you got back quick

/
W56196272
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, April 16, 2005, 19:28:00 »

It's a very nice ground, got there about 1pm so had a walk around outside as the gates weren't open, some nice facilities of all sorts, including a business training area which is run by the college. Once inside the ground, they had plenty of TV's to watch the Arsenal game on which was nice, and whilst we were only given a third of the north stand it was a very good view from the back and it looked very nice, bit more interesting than some of the identikit grounds I've been to lately - Wycombe, Rushden & Diamonds et al - and I imagine our ground would have been like that up at Shaw Tip.

Along with Reading, I think Hull are a perfect example of how a new ground can propell a team forward throughout the leagues. They've got a bit of financial clout, are getting 20,000+ crowds and most of all, they've achieved back to back promotions.

Interestingly, a friend of mine did his dissertation at uni on the effect new football stadia have on the local community and the KC stadium was one of his case studies. Surprisingly, most local residents think the ground has had a small negative effect on the area, but I haven't had chance to read through it properly.

Sadly I don't think we'd ever achieve what Hull and Reading have done, but a rebuilt ground would probably bring the crowds back providing we have a decent team at the time.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, April 16, 2005, 19:30:05 »

Quote from: "Yeovil Red"
Are you at home?

you got back quick

no I'm still in Yorkshire, everyone here is Northern, my phone battery is dead, there's no CD player here and my batteries are flat and I've finished my book. I WANT TO GO HOME.
Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #5 on: Saturday, April 16, 2005, 19:47:06 »

i'm home, did it in 3 hours,  Cheesy

photos to come soon

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
Dazzza

« Reply #6 on: Saturday, April 16, 2005, 19:47:34 »

The big difference with up there is that the council where behind most of it (they own Kingston Communications) and invested a lot of council cash, hence the "community" bit.

Also as much as it's improving it's fair to say a lot of Hull is a slum but it's on the up.  So there was not much objection to planning.  

That's why Holt should really look at sticking a "community facility" tag on the CG development.  A lot seem to have it in for the club but if we where to be providing something for all in the process it may help grease the wheels.

strooood
As black as Patrick from EastEnders who is officially the blackest man on the planet.

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, April 16, 2005, 19:58:36 »

really enjoyable away trip i thought, although these teams really annoy me, plymouth wigan etc, who quadruple gate sizes in a few years after their financial clout propells them up the league and think they are better fans than you, but this time, even worse than plymouth they didnt even fucking sing.

we worked bloody hard at the top to get a few songs going although but their loyal supporters just nicked everyone we started halfway through with about 1000 voices. cunts. where were you when you were shit went down a treat.

would've fucking loved it if they hadnt gone up today

officially blacker than the night.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, April 16, 2005, 20:02:50 »

we outsung them for 90% of the match, regardless of volume. well, you lot outsung them, i just stood there frowning a lot  Cool
DMR

« Reply #9 on: Saturday, April 16, 2005, 20:27:43 »

Class atmosphere, I enjoyed that.
DMR

« Reply #10 on: Saturday, April 16, 2005, 20:43:31 »

Quote from: "Whits"

photos to come soon

4 and a 'arf
Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #11 on: Saturday, April 16, 2005, 20:48:19 »

Quote from: "dave_m_russell"
Quote from: "Whits"

photos to come soon

4 and a 'arf

you driving a tractor?  Tongue

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
DMR

« Reply #12 on: Saturday, April 16, 2005, 20:50:22 »

No we're driving off the wrong fucking junction
strooood
As black as Patrick from EastEnders who is officially the blackest man on the planet.

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, April 17, 2005, 02:39:19 »

where abouts were you sat dayf?

officially blacker than the night.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: