Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Random observations from the game on Saturday  (Read 3031 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« on: Monday, April 11, 2005, 03:21:35 »

If I was a statistican (or Reg) I'd work out how many points Ifil has cost us this season with "schoolboy errors". I'd imagine it's quite a few, but how many players haven't cost us goals and points?

The Arkells isn't as quiet as I expected.

The Walsall player who had to change shirt but couldn't manage to put it on properly, and had to get the physio to help him, was the funniest thing I've ever seen a football.

Evans should never have been beaten on his near post like that, although I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until I actually see the goals again, if I can be arsed.

Why do we only seem to start playing properly when we go 1-0 down? When was the last time we scored the first goal in a game? after a brief look on the official website, it was against Donny back in February.

What the fuck was the point in going 3-4-3? I can understand 4-3-3 but when you're playing without decent wingers and no fullbacks, you've basically left yourself totally exposed down either flank. I really cannot understand why King felt the need to move a right-back into midfield, it makes no sense whatsoever. It didn't cost us the game though, Ifil managed that pretty much all on his own.

Spacey chainsmokes during games - out of boredom or nerves?

5,500 wasn't a bad attendance considering the Grand National and that royal wedding thing was on, I was expecting less than 5,000.

Roberts seems to have lost his pace since coming back from injury, although he did show some good touches at times. Perhaps he's lacking some match sharpness.

Caton changed the game when he came on, not to a huge extent but he was willing to make runs, receive the ball out wide, run with the ball, take shots and actually showed some interest and desire, something that few of the players showed. Unfortunately it was also plainly evident at times that he's simply not strong enough yet, he'd get beaten up against some big old bruisers of centre-halves.

Games like today and Bournemouth at home aren't going to make Parkin think he should give promotion once last attempt with us, he was let down majorly by his teammates at the weekend and not for the first time this season.

Smith isn't a winger because he can't beat players.

I've never seen my Dad so angry after a game. Someone cut him up whilst driving home and I thought he was going to pull over and twat him.  :shock:

Players such as Evans, Ifil, Igoe and even O'Hanlon are performing nowhere near the standards they set for themselves last season. The same could be said for Howard and possibly even Nicholas, but I don't think any of us truly knows what's happened there. Ifil was superb during his loan spells, prone to the odd error and clearly it was a gamble we were willing to take. I admit myself that I was probably wearing rose-tinted specs when I greeted his permanent transfer to STFC with open arms, but you can clearly see why Watford let him go. I recall watching him for Watford against Ipswich last season and he made two errors which led directly to Ipswich goals, his positioning and more importantly his concentration are very poor. With nobody in the defence particularly vocal, he's got nobody there to keep him alert, keep him in position and keep him awake - is the difference Gurney? Food for thought. It might just be that he's suffering from a lack of confidence due to being out of  the team so much and it's leading him to be more error prone than usual.

Of the 14 players who were on the pitch at various points on Saturday, there's a distinct possibility that only four of them will be there next season. The others are free to walk as far as I'm aware. Scary thought.

Finally, it was dead cool to meet Jase, Yeovil and Whits. Forum buddies are skill!  Cool
McLovin

« Reply #1 on: Monday, April 11, 2005, 09:15:02 »

Oooh, i like this format...

Duke has cost us more goals and points, especially in February and March.

Interest and desire - spot on. People take more kindly to defeat if it looks as though the players gave their all and tried everyting they could to win it.

We have a decent left winger in Howard who didnt even make the bench (is he injured?)

Evans is annoying in interviews and is rather involved with his own backside if you ask me.

I think Kingy is actually really gutted about the way teh season has panned out, it would help if some of the players felt the same.  I don't get the impression that many of them are bothered.  It's weird, since the higher they finish, the bigger the bonus, but as they say, you get out of something what you put in.  They give little, so will get little in terms of financial rewards.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, April 11, 2005, 14:12:12 »

Howard can beat players but he's not really a winger, he doesn't stay wide enough and constantly cuts inside. Duke's best form this season came when he had Holmes in front of him.

Evans is as good as gone, but yes - he's up his own arse.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, April 11, 2005, 14:29:38 »

Here are my observations....

Its odd sitting in a stand where you can see whats going on and the only person shouting is Sonic Youth Soapy Tit Wank

Sonic Youth wouldn't let me call him Sonic :x

Whits let me call him Whits Cool

I'm bored of half arsed displays and cant wait for the season to be over,much the same as everyone else I suppose.

/
W56196272
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, April 11, 2005, 14:31:08 »

"I'm bored of half arsed displays and cant wait for the season to be over,much the same as everyone else I suppose"  and so say all of us!!  The TEF has spoken.

Is it odd paying £23 to watch a shit standard of football YR?
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, April 11, 2005, 14:35:44 »

He didn't pay, he got a free ticket  :evil:
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, April 11, 2005, 14:36:20 »

Didnt pay Jaanage Spacey won some tickets and kindly let me have one otherwise I would have been in the Townend as per normal though I am considering a move for next season(if the price is right)

Roll on the Summer and the Townend Forum Elite Ghostbusting unit!

/
W56196272
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, April 11, 2005, 14:36:54 »

Fair play, I used my mates season ticket!!  Concession one too.  Saves for the  :beers
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, April 11, 2005, 14:52:20 »

I just watched the goals again, I wish I hadn't.

Rhys got beaten on his near post when Joachim was practically on the goal line - how?

I still can't work out what the fuck we got that penalty for.

Ifil's error was comical Sad
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, April 11, 2005, 14:59:02 »

At the time I didn't think it was a pen, but seeing the replay Caton goes to flick the ball in and it hits the fella on the ground on his arm.  Defo pen!  Joachim's goal Crying Sums up Rhys of late.
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, April 11, 2005, 16:02:37 »

You can't seriously sit in the Arkells YR it's dreadful - at least sit in the Nationwide where there is some atmosphere.  The only benefit of the Arkells is that you are close enough to hurl abuse at Kingy!   Cheesy

Agree with lots of your observations Sonic, particularly re.: Going a goal down - that's a shocking statistic that we haven't gone a goal up since Donny.  We don't deserve to be in the playoffs with statistics like that floating around.

Evans was terrible, and if he hadn't touched it I suspect the ball may have not itself gone in (though a Walsall player may have got on the end of it).  To be honest, I won't be overly sorry to see him go as I feel we need someone more reliable, which we haven't had in my opinion since Mildenhall....

We didn't deserve a pen in my opinion - there was scrapping on the floor, it was mayhem, but it was, as they say, "six of one, half a dozen of the other".

Smith isn't a winger for God's sake play Howard out there and move Smith into Hewlett's place.  Howard can beat people, he can put in a decent cross - two things Smith struggles to do, plus ideally you want Smith on the end of crosses not supplying them with his good aerial ability (or should that read immense bravery - Griffin Park goal testifies this).

Of the 14 players who played, I'd only be sorry to see Caton, Roberts, Parkin, O'Hanlon and Smith go, and that is saying something.  Right now I'm pretty hacked off with most of our squad, as many aren't showing the desire.  However, I'm resigning myself to losing Parkin in the Summer (as we need the money for this CVA payment and to bring in new players), and Jenkins is likely to stay having only recently been bought (and he isn't bad, and he's pretty hard so I won't mess with him).
Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #11 on: Monday, April 11, 2005, 17:44:23 »

Quote from: "Yeovil Red"

Whits let me call him Whits Cool

everyone calls me that anyway! though most of those people have known me for 5-10 years!

bring your dog next time

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #12 on: Monday, April 11, 2005, 17:47:56 »

and the only person shouting is Sonic Youth at an old man and his kid

:twisted:

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
Piemonte

« Reply #13 on: Monday, April 11, 2005, 18:41:39 »

What I cant believe is how the bloke handled it on the line (clear view from the TE) and stayed on the pitch!??

There was me thinking deliberate handball to stop a goalscoring oportunity was an automatic red card.

That said, we barely deserved a draw anyway and half the team at least didnt want it.

Its somewhat typical that Kingy's most expensive signing is turning into one of his worst. What the fuck has happened to Jerel? He was never the brightest player, but its as if someone gave him a lobotomy around the end of November. Since then he's been dire and has cost us numerous goals and points.
spacey

« Reply #14 on: Monday, April 11, 2005, 19:24:11 »

Quote from: "sonicyouth"

Spacey chainsmokes during games - out of boredom or nerves?

Was I chainsmoking :shock: I think I must have been trying to look cool and hard Cool

I don't think I noticed much on saturday, although when I looked down upon our brave heroes in red with their silky skills and heel toe magic, I kept hearing the theme tune to Benny Hill.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: