Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: £5,000 Fine  (Read 4310 times)
Spud

« Reply #15 on: Friday, October 5, 2007, 11:51:34 »

Quote from: "STFCLady"
Quote from: "Spud"
Rules are there to be broken.  Cool

Not at the cost of a fine they're not.  If we can't find 25k to pay Cheltenham where are we going to find another 5k to pay this?

Fucking pathetic if you ask me.

Well if the Swindon board swallowed their fucking pride and finally sold up then it wouldn't be a problem would it!
Barry Scott

« Reply #16 on: Friday, October 5, 2007, 12:28:56 »

I'm not saying its a good rule, I think its crap too but you completely missed the point!

I'm just saying its stupid to moan when we broke rules that were blatently in place that we should have abided by!

What makes us different that we shouldn't have to abide by them?

Ahhhh, I understand! - The ambiguity of the written word!

Yes, okay, if we break a rule - that we know is in place - we deserve the fine. I stand corrected.  Cheesy
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, October 5, 2007, 12:31:41 »

Doesn't surprise me tbh. We all knew we would get fined for it.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, October 5, 2007, 13:19:13 »

Quote from: "The_Plagiarist"
Such a bullshit rule, it's so subjective. How can anyone definitively determine who the strongest team is anyway? If we lose a match with our supposed "Strongest team" then make eleven changes because they all performed shite and our other eleven wins a match, who's the fuck to say which is the strongest team. Do you then take into account the opposition? and what team they had fielded? It's a ridiculous rule and one that in theory can be successfully appealed every single time. Especially when you win four fucking one.
It's not subjective at all. There are clear rules about the definition of "strongest team" to make sure there was no subjectivity involved.

Although I think the fact we won 4-1 makes a bit of a mockery of it all  Cheesy
adje

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, October 5, 2007, 13:19:44 »

I'm not saying its a good rule, I think its crap too but you completely missed the point!

I'm just saying its stupid to moan when we broke rules that were blatently in place that we should have abided by!

What makes us different that we shouldn't have to abide by them?

As always,the beautiful voice of reason

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, October 5, 2007, 13:21:25 »

Quote from: "reeves4england"
Quote from: "The_Plagiarist"
Such a bullshit rule, it's so subjective. How can anyone definitively determine who the strongest team is anyway? If we lose a match with our supposed "Strongest team" then make eleven changes because they all performed shite and our other eleven wins a match, who's the fuck to say which is the strongest team. Do you then take into account the opposition? and what team they had fielded? It's a ridiculous rule and one that in theory can be successfully appealed every single time. Especially when you win four fucking one.
It's not subjective at all. There are clear rules about the definition of "strongest team" to make sure there was no subjectivity involved.

Although I think the fact we won 4-1 makes a bit of a mockery of it all  Cheesy

Especially as Brentford were unbeaten in the league and fielded what looked to be a pretty much full strength team against us.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, October 5, 2007, 20:16:07 »

A 5K fine is totally out of order.

The 'fielding a weakened team' rule was brought in, I would imagine, for two reasons:

1) The Football League want clubs to take the competition seriously. Fair enough.

2) They don't want paying customers to be subjected to a farcical, meaningless game. Also fair enough.

The only problem here is that we won the game, if I remember correctly, by four (count them FOUR) goals to one.

This fact alone proves, surely, that we were A) Taking the game seriously, and B) The paying customers AKA the fans, were most definitely not subjected to a farcical, meningless game. I can't imagine too many Town fans were complaining after the game. Equally, any Brentford fans who bothered to go, would hardly have been venting their anger at STFC for short-changing them and blackening the name of such an esteemed competition. They might have been having a go at their own players but surely not STFC.

In other words, when dishing out fines like it was Monopoly money, the Football League should be considering points 1) and 2) above and not the starting XI which is the business of the manager and no one else.

To sum up. this fine is horse shit and makes the Football League look like a bunch of incompetent pricks.

FACT!
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, October 5, 2007, 23:32:50 »

From what little I understand, the rule is written such that clubs should field a team of players that have started the majority of league games, rather than explicitly stating your 'strongest' team, which I agree is somewhat subjective.

Hence, we broke the 'rules', as ridiculous as they are. In this day and age, football is a squad game, and why shouldn't Sturrock use it as a mechanism to look at some of his fringe players in a competitive match scenario (as opposed to the reserves).

Flip side of the coin though is that this competition is realistically the only competition that a club like ours can reach a final, held at Wembley. As opposed to the Carling Cup or FA Cup where you may be lucky and get a run through to the third or fourth rounds. Potential big payday and day out for the fans. What would you rather have?

Your call.......
STFC4LIFE
Fence Fucker

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, October 6, 2007, 00:23:41 »

If the same team started tomorrow, would it still be classed as weakened?

Who exactly decides its a weakened team?
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, October 6, 2007, 00:29:04 »

Quote from: "STFC4LIFE"
If the same team started tomorrow, would it still be classed as weakened?

Who exactly decides its a weakened team?

As I understand it (did I say that before), if it doesn't contain a certain % of players that have started the majority (pick a figure!) of league games, then you are breaking the rules. Or something like that! I can't recall the numbers though.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, October 6, 2007, 00:30:14 »

Do we HAVE to enter the competion?

What would happen if we didnt?

/
W56196272
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, October 6, 2007, 11:19:19 »

this is fucking stupid, who the fuck are the FA to decide whether our team was a weak one or not?

Sure we made the best part of 11 changes, but we have a big squad......

Sturrock has always said he wants 22 first team players, so in effect we just played the other half of our first team squad

....and we fucking won 4-1 for fuck sake!
sonic youth

« Reply #27 on: Saturday, October 6, 2007, 14:29:27 »

it's a little harsh as we gave debuts to a lot of players who have figured regularly since, so an appeal against the fine might be worthwhile.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: