Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Moonrakers  (Read 3328 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« on: Friday, July 27, 2007, 18:11:22 »

Probably one for Reg.

I know the folklore behind the term, and I'm sure it was previously used in matchday programmes in the 80's (which is as far as my memory goes back).

Is it seen by Swindoners as a nickname, one we should use more then Robins really, or is it seen as a term of ridicule???

I've seen Oxford fans think it's a piss take but I've always thought it to be the complete opposite and liked by STFC fans.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, July 27, 2007, 18:25:23 »

Quote from: "RobertT"
Probably one for Reg.

I know the folklore behind the term, and I'm sure it was previously used in matchday programmes in the 80's (which is as far as my memory goes back).

Is it seen by Swindoners as a nickname, one we should use more then Robins really, or is it seen as a term of ridicule???

I've seen Oxford fans think it's a piss take but I've always thought it to be the complete opposite and liked by STFC fans.

I think the little cartoon figure of the 80's prog, was based on Ray Howell pere of David who, dressed up as a moonraker and did a bit of Rocking Robin style handshaking before some of the important games back then.

Older fans, may recall an old boy, who did a similar job before games, dressed as a moonraker replete with a string of sausages round his neck.

I think its a fine term for Wiltshirepersons, but in todays fluid society a large number of Town fans wont be moonrakers.
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, July 27, 2007, 18:27:25 »

Couple of pissed up locals coming home after the end of harvest piss up.

Both carrying their "rakes" over their shoulders, pass a pond on the way home.

It is a clear night and they see what they think is a massive round cheese sunk to the floor of the pond. The colour of the cheese is very bright somebody must have dropped it in the pond recently.

Anyway, as they had their harvesting rakes with them, they decide to try and reclaim this fucking huge cheese from the base of this pond.

Alas after 2 hours of trying they could not budge it.

Of course it was a reflection of the moon.

Most people from out of town take the piss at us because of it.

It quite appeals to me.

But then it would ..............wouldnt it ?
SwindonTartanArmy
Go Team GB!

London Scottish - More History than Franchise!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, July 27, 2007, 18:27:28 »

from wikipedia:

Moonrakers is the colloquial name for people from Wiltshire, a county of southern England. This refers to a folk story set in the time when smuggling was a significant industry in rural England. The story goes that some local people had hidden contraband goods from customs officers in a pond. While trying to retrieve it at night, they were caught by the revenue men, but explained by pointing to the moon's reflection and saying they were trying to rake in a cheese. The excise men, thinking they were simple, laughed at them and went on their way. But, as the story goes, it was the moonrakers who had the last laugh.

Vi er best i verden! Vi er best i verden! Vi har slått England 2-1 i fotball!! Det er aldeles utrolig! Vi har slått England! England, kjempers fødeland. Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana--vi har slått dem alle sammen. Vi har slått dem alle sammen. Maggie Thatcher can you hear me?
Your boys took a hell of a beating!"
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, July 27, 2007, 18:28:25 »

Quote from: "SwindonTartanArmy"
from wikipedia:

Moonrakers is the colloquial name for people from Wiltshire, a county of southern England. This refers to a folk story set in the time when smuggling was a significant industry in rural England. The story goes that some local people had hidden contraband goods from customs officers in a pond. While trying to retrieve it at night, they were caught by the revenue men, but explained by pointing to the moon's reflection and saying they were trying to rake in a cheese. The excise men, thinking they were simple, laughed at them and went on their way. But, as the story goes, it was the moonrakers who had the last laugh.

Ahhhh

a different slant

I love old myths
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, July 27, 2007, 18:30:02 »

Quote from: "SwindonTartanArmy"
from wikipedia:

Yep, that's the story that gets credence (in so far as folklore goes).  The one Fred's quoted is the one Oxford fans use but it has no background.

Was just wondering because Robins is a shit nickname for a club and I was sure we embraced Moonrakers (the smuggler used to take the gin to Swindon from Devizes).
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, July 27, 2007, 18:33:11 »

Ehem

I like the thought of Fred and Ben trying to fish a half eaten Kebab out of the bin in Lawn woods after an afternoon on the piss, only to find that it is a reflection of the Star Ship Enterprise that is hovering above and not a crispy mixed meat with coleslaw and chilli sauce after all.

That's what we are all about surely ?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, July 27, 2007, 18:33:57 »

A bit more detail: http://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/Moonrakers.htm

Between the fifteenth and eighteenth centuries the wool produced from the English County of Wiltshire was known and prized all over Europe because of its superb quality.

Dutch and Flemish merchants had permanent headquarters in the Wiltshire town of Swindon, attracted there by the high profit obtained from the wool trade.

But there was a problem!

The merchant's favourite tipple was Hollands Gin, but that carried a heavy import duty.

The solution for the Wiltshiremen seemed obvious, they would have to smuggle in the barrels of spirit and so avoid the import duty.

By the mid-sixteenth century they had established a smuggling operation that would run for more than 200 years. The barrels of spirit were landed in quiet coves on the Hampshire coast and brought up to Swindon by night.

The barrels were hidden during the day in church crypts or in village ponds. The green weed in the ponds concealed the barrels beautifully.

Problem solved!!

But one night it all went wrong.

The story is, that in either Bishop Cannings, or All Cannings (two villages reputed to be heavily involved in smuggling), the villagers were raking their kegs out of the village pond when they were surprised by a patrol of Excisemen.

The Wiltshire smugglers, with a flash of inspiration, pretended to be idiots, gibbering and grimacing at the Excisemen.

They pointed to the moon's reflection in the pond and told the officials that they were trying to rake out a piece of the moon that had fallen from the sky.

They were so persuasive and acted their parts as 'mental defectives' so well that the Excisemen just laughed at this example of rustic simplicity and rode on.

Success!!

But Wiltshiremen are called 'Moonrakers' to this day!
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, July 27, 2007, 18:37:15 »

I like the pissed up version myself
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, July 27, 2007, 18:43:20 »

Lets bring it back.

I like the idea of a dude with a smock and rake winding up the away fans Cool

/
W56196272
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, July 27, 2007, 18:46:41 »

Quote from: "Yeovil Red"
Lets bring it back.

I like the idea of a dude with a smock and rake winding up the away fans Cool

The job's yours YR.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, July 27, 2007, 18:48:47 »

Im game.

/
W56196272
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, July 27, 2007, 18:52:10 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
Probably one for Reg.

I think the little cartoon figure of the 80's prog, was based on Ray Howell pere of David who, dressed up as a moonraker and did a bit of Rocking Robin style handshaking before some of the important games back then.

Older fans, may recall an old boy, who did a similar job before games, dressed as a moonraker replete with a string of sausages round his neck.

I think its a fine term for Wiltshirepersons, but in todays fluid society a large number of Town fans wont be moonrakers.
The guy who used to parade around the ground in the 60's-70's was Vivian Sutton, who actually owned a shop and bakery in the village of Minety, almost next door to the printing works where I was apprenticed!  Alas, the shopand bakery are long gone and the rather large piece of land on which the printing works stood were sold off for bulding some five years ago.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, July 27, 2007, 19:05:01 »

More trusting times.....Yeovil would probably need a CRB clearance for moonraking duties now.
flammableBen

« Reply #14 on: Saturday, July 28, 2007, 02:14:37 »

A bit more detail: http://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/Moonrakers.htm

Between the fifteenth and eighteenth centuries the wool produced from the English County of Wiltshire was known and prized all over Europe because of its superb quality.

Dutch and Flemish merchants had permanent headquarters in the Wiltshire town of Swindon, attracted there by the high profit obtained from the wool trade.

But there was a problem!

The merchant's favourite tipple was Hollands Gin, but that carried a heavy import duty.

The solution for the Wiltshiremen seemed obvious, they would have to smuggle in the barrels of spirit and so avoid the import duty.

By the mid-sixteenth century they had established a smuggling operation that would run for more than 200 years. The barrels of spirit were landed in quiet coves on the Hampshire coast and brought up to Swindon by night.

The barrels were hidden during the day in church crypts or in village ponds. The green weed in the ponds concealed the barrels beautifully.

Problem solved!!

But one night it all went wrong.

The story is, that in either Bishop Cannings, or All Cannings (two villages reputed to be heavily involved in smuggling), the villagers were raking their kegs out of the village pond when they were surprised by a patrol of Excisemen.

The Wiltshire smugglers, with a flash of inspiration, pretended to be idiots, gibbering and grimacing at the Excisemen.

They pointed to the moon's reflection in the pond and told the officials that they were trying to rake out a piece of the moon that had fallen from the sky.

They were so persuasive and acted their parts as 'mental defectives' so well that the Excisemen just laughed at this example of rustic simplicity and rode on.

Success!!

But Wiltshiremen are called 'Moonrakers' to this day!

Qaulity, bestest post ever. Although  I would have thought that wooden barrels full of gin would have floated.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: