Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Life on Mars  (Read 2226 times)
yeo

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 22:03:45 »

I fell asleep :x

So was he in a coma?

I woke up as he jumped off a building and retuned the radio it doesnt make any sense.

/
W56196272
sonic youth

« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 22:13:40 »

It was a shit ending. Truly shit.

He was in a coma but woke up, decided he felt out of place so jumped off the building to kill himself and returned to his coma 'dream' and everyone lived happily ever after.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 22:13:56 »

OK, don't read below if you don't want to know what happened.

Yes, he woke up from the coma (long story)- Then he realised his life had no meaning in 2007 whereas he felt 'alive' in 1973. Jumped off a building and ended up back in 1973.  Unappreciative bastard.

Edit: Although whether he really jumped, or whether it was used to depict that he slipped back into a coma because of his (benign)  tumour or what already has internet nerds arguing.
neville w

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2007, 07:24:10 »

Or was it the fact (as suggested by the critic in the Telegraph) that he died during surgery, the modern scenes being a continuation of the coma dream, and that final death was signified by the girl from the Test card turning off the TV right at the end ?
fatbury

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2007, 07:36:07 »

I think he never got out of the coma from when he was in the coach crash at 12 ... and yes it signified he died at the end .. just before the radio had said that he was slipping away and they were losing him
sonic youth

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2007, 10:01:29 »

Quote from: "neville w"
Or was it the fact (as suggested by the critic in the Telegraph) that he died during surgery, the modern scenes being a continuation of the coma dream, and that final death was signified by the girl from the Test card turning off the TV right at the end ?

I wouldn't credit BBC writers with that much intelligence.
fatbury

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2007, 10:24:33 »

Nor would I normally but this has been a brilliantly written series ... the one liners of Gene Hunt are legendary.

Also there were a couple of Dr Who references in the last couple of stories - it was obviously known that John Simm was going to do a major part in Dr Who after this - (Life on Mars is also a BBC Wales Production)

Last night they said "You Need To See A Doctor!" and the other week Hunt said to Sam " Well Youre The Master what do we do?"
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2007, 11:22:37 »

An interview with the lead writer and co-creator Matthew Graham appears to explain much of it. Seems people read too much into things (The Walrus was Paul).

http://blogs.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ianwylie/2007/04/life_on_mars_the_answers.html

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Northern Red

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2007, 12:09:28 »

Life on Mars 2 (Called "Ashes to Ashes") is shortly to go into production

Set in 1981 in London, with Gene Hunt still in lead role, no Sam Tyler, but a modern feminist policewomen to go back in time.

Might be good, but sequel's are always hard to do well....
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, December 12, 2008, 02:38:20 »

*BUMP* The folks and bro were good enough to get me the box sets of Life on Mars for my birthday this year and I've been using them as late night "waiting for code to compile" therapy. Completely brilliant - "As for you, I can just about handle you driving like a pissed-up crackhead and treating women like beanbags but I'm gonna say this once, and once only, Gene - stay out of Camberwick Green!" has to be one of the best lines in the history of British television
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, December 12, 2008, 08:32:41 »

Shame the sequel Ashes To Ashes didn't come close to this series, well not yet anyway.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, December 12, 2008, 08:35:16 »

Did anyone watch the Channel Four series, 'The Devils Whore'?

John Simm was brilliant in it.

It's All Good..............
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, December 12, 2008, 08:42:50 »

Did anyone watch the Channel Four series, 'The Devils Whore'?

John Simm was brilliant in it.
John Simm is brilliant in everything - at least, I've never seen anything he was in I didn't like or he didn't improve. Cue flood of posts reminding me of some complete turkey he was in I've forgotten about.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, December 12, 2008, 08:45:54 »

John Simm is brilliant in everything - at least, I've never seen anything he was in I didn't like or he didn't improve. Cue flood of posts reminding me of some complete turkey he was in I've forgotten about.

BBC drama, 'The Lakes' was pretty shit. But John Simm was still brilliant in it.....

It's All Good..............
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, December 12, 2008, 08:48:14 »

BBC drama, 'The Lakes' was pretty shit. But John Simm was still brilliant in it.....
I remembered to add the rider "or he didn't improve" right before hitting "post" with precisely this in mind. My missus loved it though, mind she loves any old shit. Which is probably why she's still with me...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: