Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 10 Games Left, Starting at Kenilworth Road  (Read 4481 times)
walrus

Ignore
« on: Monday, March 7, 2005, 20:48:35 »

The performance on Saturday was dire, but I still think it is a little early to be writing off our season just yet.  With just potentially four points separating us from the playoffs, albeit with teams above us having one, two, or in Brentford's case three, games in hand only a very rash pundit would condemn this season to mid-table mediocrity.  From our own experiences last season, the run-up to the playoffs springs several surprises, with pressure of expectation causing average performances, and pressure to avoid the drop causing lowly teams to overperform distorting results.  With Christian Roberts set to return shortly, and the influential Miglioranzi looking sharper on Saturday, we can only grow stronger.

The 3-0 disaster at home may merely be a blip in an otherwise impressive run of results.  This weekend sees some tough fixtures for teams around us, and a win at Kenilworth Road would immediately place us back in the running.

Doncaster vs. Brentford
Walsall vs. Bournemouth (Blackpool at home on Tues 8/3)
Bristol City vs. Barnsley

Last season we battered Luton, and I see little reason why we cannot go there again expecting to perform to similar levels.  The needless, stupid and bloody-minded loss of Rory Fallon so that he can warm the bench in Somerset rather than Wiltshire is a big blow in my opinion, but Michael Proctor has undoubted quality and we can only hope he returns to goalscoring ways on Saturday.

Assuming that Rhys Evans will be fit for Saturday, I would play a 4-4-2, realising that a win is much needed at this late stage of the season:

GK:  R.Evans
DR:  S.O'Hanlon
DL:  A.Nicholas
DC:  M.Heywood
DC:  J.Ifil
MR:  S.Igoe
ML:  B.Howard
MC:  G.Smith
MC:  S.Miglioranzi
FC:  S.Parkin
FC:  M.Proctor

We need players who will run themselves into the ground for the cause, and I think we should play our best players in the back four, even if that means shifting O'Hanlon to right back and dropping Jenkins, who for me, is the club's fifth best defender, which leaves him with just a place on the bench.  David Duke deserves to be dropped after performances against Doncaster and Bournemouth which were unsatisfactory, although Nicholas' match fitness and sharpness may be questioned.

However, expect to see the inexperienced and unreliable Lee Holmes and Matthew Hewlett to retain their starting shirts, and if King is really stupid, he'll keep the same back four that conceded 3 goals at home, like he did last time after Colchester, although this did result in a 2-1 win at Bradford in his defence.

This season I've seen nothing but piss-poor performances, and currently we do not deserve a place in the top 6.  King needs to turn things around, and I still am not convinced we have turned a corner despite the accolades recently handed out.  If we fail to make the Top 6, I fear a mass exodus from the club:  Parkin, Nicholas, Robinson, Fallon, almost certainly leaving.  For me, the message to King is simple: Get us in the play-offs or get sacked
DMR

« Reply #1 on: Monday, March 7, 2005, 20:59:18 »

That was quite a decent post until you picked Howard over Holmes.
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, March 7, 2005, 21:08:08 »

Lee Holmes has yet to win me over, but I will concede that I haven't seen his best performances so perhaps I am a little harsh on the lad.  However, I was a big fan of Howard and didn't think he deserved to get dropped.  I base my fandom on:

- He scores goals - prior to Smith, we had no midfielder who could do this
- He belongs to us - makes him more committed to the cause, Holmes won't be here in May no matter what Burley and King agree
- Howard would be handy next year - if he thinks he'll be warming the bench he'll go elsewhere
- He has a great left foot, good for set plays
- Can take players on and is exciting, although not to the extent of Holmes.  However, this can be a blessing as Holmes often tries to skin his man too often for my liking
- Howard offers more defensively - essential for games away from home
DMR

« Reply #3 on: Monday, March 7, 2005, 21:09:47 »

You say picking Nicho might be iffy re: fitness.

It'll be ten times worse for fatty, surely.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #4 on: Monday, March 7, 2005, 21:09:54 »

run themselves into the ground

run themselves into mcdonalds in howards case
DMR

« Reply #5 on: Monday, March 7, 2005, 21:11:38 »

1. Howard offers A-Grade fuck all defensively!
2. Holmes has a betetr left foot.
3. Howard wants to play for a Prem club, one thing he is NOT is committed.
Piemonte

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, March 8, 2005, 09:53:39 »

Quote from: "dave_m_russell"
1. Howard offers A-Grade fuck all defensively!
2. Holmes has a betetr left foot.
3. Howard wants to play for a Prem club, one thing he is NOT is committed.

fucking hell.

i agree with Russell
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, March 8, 2005, 16:04:15 »

I think everybody is too harsh on Howard. He cant be THAT fat otherwise King would NOT give him a place on the bench every week.
Holmes can be creative and has carved out som great oppertunities for SSP so far, but have to admit he's struggled when the opposition has him covered.

The thing I like about Howard and Igoe is that they change wings every so often, which can cause problems for opposition defences.

Its a tough one realy, but I think Holmes would be the best option, atleast until half time.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, March 8, 2005, 16:32:19 »

They only swap wings so the other one can be by the bench and get some fluid on board when they're fucking knackered after 15 minutes.
Nils

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, March 8, 2005, 18:36:01 »

I would have Howard on the right, better than Igoe.
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, March 8, 2005, 21:51:37 »

Blackpool beat Bournemouth 3-2 at Dean Court - Bournemouth's first defeat there since Barnsley way back in October.  Looks like the pressure is already getting to them - especially with the rock-solid Maher scoring an own goal - as Blackpool were in 16th, although admittedly on a good run of form.  Good news for Swindon!  Hull won also, against Hartlepool who could still be in a playoff battle, so pressure is back on Luton!  Let's hope that works in our favour.

I do not think Brian Howard on the right, or in the centre, would work/works.  He is a predominantly left-footed player who is very one-sided.  Placing him on the right wing would be suicidal - when Holmes first signed I was under the impression he was to replace Igoe who was far more inconsistent than Howard.

I think questioning Howard's weight was a joke, but it seems some people geniunely believe it.  Yes the lad has a big frame, but he certainly isn't fat.  Stand him alongside Hartson and he'd be dwarfed, although perhaps that isn't say much!

I cannot wait for Holmes' loan spell to expire and a hungry, on-fire Howard to roar into the team and drive us up the table.  Remember his impact last Christmas - he'll do it again.

Christian Roberts also reappeared in a Swindon shirt for the reserves, so hopefully he may feature on Saturday, although realistically perhaps only as a substitute.  Anyone have any inside information on him, as I believe getting Roberts back could be key - it would also, for me, render the loan signings of Michael Proctor and Jamie Slabber pointless - apologies to the RAF who stumped up the money for Proctor, but I don't think King used it very well in this instance!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, March 9, 2005, 02:17:32 »

Quote from: "Walrus"
Blackpool beat Bournemouth 3-2 at Dean Court - Bournemouth's first defeat there since Barnsley way back in October.  Looks like the pressure is already getting to them - especially with the rock-solid Maher scoring an own goal - as Blackpool were in 16th, although admittedly on a good run of form.  Good news for Swindon!  Hull won also, against Hartlepool who could still be in a playoff battle, so pressure is back on Luton!  Let's hope that works in our favour.

I do not think Brian Howard on the right, or in the centre, would work/works.  He is a predominantly left-footed player who is very one-sided.  Placing him on the right wing would be suicidal - when Holmes first signed I was under the impression he was to replace Igoe who was far more inconsistent than Howard.

I think questioning Howard's weight was a joke, but it seems some people geniunely believe it.  Yes the lad has a big frame, but he certainly isn't fat.  Stand him alongside Hartson and he'd be dwarfed, although perhaps that isn't say much!

I cannot wait for Holmes' loan spell to expire and a hungry, on-fire Howard to roar into burger king and drive us up the table.  Remember his impact last Christmas - he'll do it again.

Christian Roberts also reappeared in a Swindon shirt for the reserves, so hopefully he may feature on Saturday, although realistically perhaps only as a substitute.  Anyone have any inside information on him, as I believe getting Roberts back could be key - it would also, for me, render the loan signings of Michael Proctor and Jamie Slabber pointless - apologies to the RAF who stumped up the money for Proctor, but I don't think King used it very well in this instance!

Until roberts is 100% fit we can't risk fielding him. Because he has just come back from injury and trying to regain fitness. Also, Proctor is only here for a short spell, probably better to let him find a goal or two, than to have Roberts languish whilst he struggles with his fitness
McLovin

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, March 9, 2005, 11:17:07 »

The main problem with Howard this season is that he wasn't playing on the wing, like last season. His lack of backtracking is noticed much more in the centre.

When Holmes goes, Smithy will be forced out left, making way for Howard in the middle again, and the Bournemouth performance will become a more regular thing.

According to someone i know who went to the Bristol game, Howard performed terribly in the middle again, and nearly got throttled by Bradley Orr after yet another two-footed lunge.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, March 9, 2005, 11:19:59 »

Quote from: "richard hatchard"
I would have Howard on the right, better than Igoe.

are you mad! thats been tried by king already! it didnt work and will probably never work
Johno

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, March 10, 2005, 16:10:15 »

Have to remain positive! on saturday me, reeves4england and another mate taking stfc ballons, confetti etc.... so lets get behind the lads hey!?  :beers
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: