Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Paul Sturrock  (Read 5828 times)
rockincockinrobin

« on: Wednesday, November 1, 2006, 09:16:58 »

According to the daily express today, Sturrock is leading the race to become our new manager.

I wouldn't mind Sturrock at all, i think he's a good manager, done very well at plymouth and was unlucky at southampton and shouldn't have been sacked by sheffield wednesday.

He is a great lower league manager and i would welcome him here.
Panda Paws

Arse

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2006, 09:31:22 »

Where in the Express - I've just scoured the sports section and it ain't in there.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2006, 09:53:45 »

Quote from: "Chris K"
Where in the Express - I've just scoured the sports section and it ain't in there.

It's in the news and gossip section on the BBC website.
mastapeaka

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2006, 09:59:59 »

It's in the Western Daily Press.

Get Sturrock in. He would be great for Swindon. Used to working on a tight budget when at Plymouth too, also if he can handle Rupert Lowe, he should be able to handle some of the interesting characters on the town board.

Paul Sturrock's Barmy Army. Hmm, not sure about that though!
Rich Pullen

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2006, 10:06:25 »

Quote from: "mastapeaka"
It's in the Western Daily Press.

Get Sturrock in. He would be great for Swindon. Used to working on a tight budget when at Plymouth too, also if he can handle Rupert Lowe, he should be able to handle some of the interesting characters on the town board.

Paul Sturrock's Barmy Army. Hmm, not sure about that though!

Paul Sturrock wouldn't be a bad choice.... He didn't last long at Southampton... His treatment there by the players was atrocious. (looks like Worzel Gummidge was one excuse given!)

Expect Graham Coughlan to join! Remember when he joined us as a youngster?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=309020&root=england&cc=5739
ESPN article which features Sturrock at Saints.

If we want Sturrock I think we'll need to act quickly because if a lower Championship team or a League One team lost their manager he could be in the frame
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2006, 10:23:10 »

Would love Sturrock here. He'd be my first choice of the names I've heard so far, with Nijholt being second.
wokinghamred

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2006, 10:23:19 »

He said in his interview on the Wednesday site yesterday, that he will be going to the first club that offers him a job, so come on Swindon.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2006, 10:31:58 »

Quote from: "wokinghamred"
He said in his interview on the Wednesday site yesterday, that he will be going to the first club that offers him a job, so come on Swindon.

Good luck with our board Sturrock!

Quote from: "Paul Sturrock Article"
Sturrock Bows Out With Dignity - To Return One Day?

In a sometimes emotional interview, Paul Sturrock said “Goodbye” to Sheffield Wednesday yesterday. But in a surprising move he also said he wanted to come back and manage the club.
 “I'm hopeful one day to come back.

“I'll tell everybody that I'm gonna put a clause in my next contract that there's one team that there will be no compensation for, if and when that ever happens.”

Like Jack Charlton and Ron Atkinson before him, Sturrock has become part of the fabric at the club. What possibly makes this bizarre, to say the least, is the fact that Sturrock really doesn’t want to leave and the fans also don’t want to see the back of him.

It really is difficult not to compare Sturrock’s performance with that of the current Sheffield Wednesday chairman; but what a difference. Sturrock operated with compassion, dignity and refreshing honesty. He did not point fingers and admitted that he had made some mistakes. A week earlier Allen slammed the fans, criticized the team as too defensive and tried to take the credit for keeping the team up last season. Is there any wonder that 99% of supporters are still mourning the loss of Sturrock almost two weeks later.

Salient points from Sturrocks interview:

* His wife and son sat on the Kop to watch the QPR game (the first game after Sturrock departure)

* Next season (2007 – 2008) the Chairman had told Sturrock that he would receive funds to try and achieve promotion if he achieved mid-table.

* Admitted that he was ‘drifting apart’ from the Chairmen. Sturrock made a point of Dave Allen’s interference with football matters – pointing to the demands he made on him to play open attractive football – this was the first time any Chairmen had done this to him.

* Complained that he needed backing earlier in the season when there were 10 or 12 injuries. He was only able to bring in 1 loan signing.

* Admitted that after the Derby game (when Dave Allen was away on holiday) he did threaten to resign following some comments which upset him. He later calmed down and matters carried on as normal.
When the players dedicated the QPR victory to him – he got a lump in his throat.

* After calling every manager in the league he discovered that Wednesday’s budget is 16th (out of 24). In contrast to Dave Allen’s assertion that they are 10th.

Sturrock said that the first club that offers him a job would be the one he would be taking.

Sturrock is a class act. Replacing him is not something a normal football Chairmen would find easy, let alone someone who exhibits both a lack of self-control and questionable basic intelligence.

http://www.sheffieldwednesday.com/
Panda Paws

Arse

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2006, 10:40:49 »

http://www.westpress.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=145786&command=displayContent&sourceNode=200219&home=yes&sports=yes&more_nodeId2=145797&contentPK=15818099 Sturrock bit in WDP
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2006, 10:43:19 »

I'd be happy if Sturrock joined Town.  Hes got a proven track record with Sheffield Wednesday and Plymouth, and he knows what it takes to get a club promoted.

My fear is that if we employ a relativley unproven manager (ie) Williams, then we are taking a big gamble.  Sure he may turn out to be amazing, in which case its great.  However, he may also prove to be absolute turd, in which case, we can kiss any chance of promotion goodbye.

Whilst there is no guarentees of Sturrock getting us promoted, as least  hes seen and done it before, and therefore seems the more logical and safer division
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2006, 10:46:06 »

Not sure if I want a guy to come here who will up and leave if Wednesday come sniffing around again.  Haven't we just been stung by that kind of  thing already?  All we'd need is that Wednesday chairman to be ousted and we'd be back to square one.  No money, no manager.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2006, 10:55:11 »

We'd have to haggle the clause to 'after 12 months' otherwise he shouldn't get the job...
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2006, 10:58:51 »

doesn't read like someone who would settle well with our off the field fiasco.
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2006, 13:43:47 »

My thoughts exactly Rob

Out of the frying pan and into the fire Huh???
SwindonTartanArmy
Go Team GB!

London Scottish - More History than Franchise!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2006, 13:50:38 »

Quote from: "RobertT"
doesn't read like someone who would settle well with our off the field fiasco.

But then who would?

Vi er best i verden! Vi er best i verden! Vi har slått England 2-1 i fotball!! Det er aldeles utrolig! Vi har slått England! England, kjempers fødeland. Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana--vi har slått dem alle sammen. Vi har slått dem alle sammen. Maggie Thatcher can you hear me?
Your boys took a hell of a beating!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: