Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What is virtual memory?  (Read 1444 times)
yeo

Ignore
« on: Saturday, October 21, 2006, 18:34:08 »

?

on the computer and why dont I have enough?

what can I do to get some more?

can I have some of yours....

shall I buy a new computer?

/
W56196272
Newburyroyal

« Reply #1 on: Saturday, October 21, 2006, 18:46:01 »

Mate...

go to control panel, then system. Go to the advanced tab then go to Performance..settings then once again Advanced.

You can play around and see what gets rid of the messages, but there should be a recomended option around there somewhere. Try 1534 Mb.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, October 21, 2006, 18:52:38 »

cool it was set at 334 so I changed it to 1534 will that break stuff?

/
W56196272
Newburyroyal

« Reply #3 on: Saturday, October 21, 2006, 19:00:37 »

Na should't do mate. Can always do a system restore to an earlier date if you get any problems, pretty straight forward to do.
STFCBird
Ralphy's Wet Dream

C U Next Tuesday!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, October 21, 2006, 23:13:18 »

you need more RAM yeovil bled
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, October 22, 2006, 10:22:22 »

Virtual memory is an area of disk Windows sets aside to use as if it were physical memory (ie RAM), also known as the paging file. Typically, it should be set to 1.5-2 x the amount of physical memory you have installed. So if you have 1Gb of RAM, then your page file should be between 1.5-2Gb. If you're increasing virtual memory settings much beyond that ratio then in effect you're trying to get the OS to use comparatively slow disk space to compensate for a lack of physical memory. But in this instance, unless you've only got 256Mb of RAM (and if you have you need to get more), it sounds like simple misconfiguration. The plastic's suggestion of 1534MB will be fine if you have 1GB of RAM, won't work well if you have more. Hope that helps - now I'm off to put a propellor on my hat.

http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/virtualmemory.htm
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, October 22, 2006, 10:25:07 »

Oh, and it's generally a recommended performance enhancement to store the page file on a separate logical drive from the system files. So if you have your system area (ie where Windows installed to) on drive C: but you also have a D: drive (either physical or logical), put the page file on D: (unless D: is a CD/DVD drive, that won't work). Best of all is a completely separate partition just for the page file. Well, actually, best of all is to use an OS that has a more rational memory management system, but let's not go there ;-)
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, October 22, 2006, 11:25:55 »

Quote from: "pauld"
Oh, and it's generally a recommended performance enhancement to store the page file on a separate logical drive from the system files. So if you have your system area (ie where Windows installed to) on drive C: but you also have a D: drive (either physical or logical), put the page file on D: (unless D: is a CD/DVD drive, that won't work). Best of all is a completely separate partition just for the page file. Well, actually, best of all is to use an OS that has a more rational memory management system, but let's not go there ;-)

Shrug
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, October 22, 2006, 14:22:05 »

Bloody nerds. Hate them.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, October 22, 2006, 16:11:23 »

Seemed to work

errrm thanks is that Klingon Paul?

/
W56196272