Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wise Line's up Marshall and Pidgeley - Western Daily Press  (Read 5471 times)
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 09:20:22 »

Taken from today's WDP:

09:50 - 31 May 2006  
New Swindon Town boss Dennis Wise is lining up two former colleagues to fill the gap left by the departing Rhys Evans. The ex-England under-21 international goalkeeper has agreed to sign for Blackpool.

So Wise is ready to turn to Andy Marshall, the keeper who helped his Millwall side to the FA Cup final in 2004, and Lenny Pidgeley, a former colleague at Chelsea.

Marshall, 31, has had spells with Norwich City, Ipswich Town and Wolves. He was recently released by Millwall.

Twenty-two-year-old Pidgeley, meanwhile, has been at Chelsea since Wise's days as a midfield enforcer.

Recently he had loan spells with Watford and Millwall and played for Chelsea in their final game of the Premiership season.

He remains well behind Petr Cech and Carlo Cudicini in the Stamford Bridge pecking order and has been made available for transfer by manager Jose Mourinho.

Wise made a last-ditch bid to keep Evans by calling the Swindon-born keeper from his holiday in Dubai.

But Evans has chosen to link up with the Tangerines on a two-year contract.

The former Chelsea trainee had spoken of his desire to avoid the drop into the Football League's basement division.

"The question is do I want to go into League Two and risk disappearing into the abyss or do I want to push on?" he said recently.
Johno

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 09:37:26 »

pidgeley and marshall is def better than evans and bulman!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 09:48:58 »

Youth and experience. Nice.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 10:06:57 »

I'd take that, Marshall would be the best keeper outside the Championship if this is true, obviously his time at Ipswich wasn't great for him but he's still a proven keeper, one I never imagined we would be in for.

I'm not sure Pidgeley would be too happy being a number two mind, as would undoubtedly befrom the off.  Still no. 2 is better than not geting a look-in at all I suppose.
Sade

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 10:33:05 »

Sounds good.

RED ARMY
my-velocity

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 10:38:24 »

Beers the teams getting better already.
Sade

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 10:45:04 »

Cheesy  Yes its slowly starting to peice together and its looking good! We've had one hell of a clear out. Physios and all!

RED ARMY
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 11:10:27 »

Hold on chaps we haven't even signed them yet...
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 11:13:13 »

Quote from: "Tails"
Hold on chaps we haven't even signed them yet...

Indeed, how can a team shape up if all that's happened in last couple of weeks is that our player of the season has left and no new players have arrived? :nuts:  Wink
STFC Village

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 11:16:02 »

Nice choices! (if it's true/happens)
Dazzza

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 11:26:07 »

Interesting combo that, to be honest I'd be overjoyed with just bringing Leonard in with a younger character coming in as back-up but the promise of a combination of the two is mouth watering.  

Although without wishing to put a dampener on things with Chelsea now looking to “sell” the youngster rather than see him go out on loan are we going to be prepared to actually cough up a transfer fee for essentially a backup keeper?

Chelsea tend to be quite reasonable with letting their younger chaps move on so you’d have to hope that a fee wouldn’t be beyond the realms of reality but seeing any fee on a backup player almost seems like seeing flying pigs after the past few years!

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 11:30:47 »

On the surface, you'd think Pidgeley could probably expect better than L2....there would have to be very a very specific reason for him to arrive at STFC... Wink
sonic youth

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 11:34:05 »

perhaps he's a lifelong town fan, reg?

fair points though, we'd probably have to fork out some cash for pidgeley so it's time for mr power to put his money where his mouth is - would be a lovely signing though.

the thought of an experienced backup goalkeeper who isn't entirely useless fills me with glee as well.
Piemonte

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 11:39:06 »

I cant see us signing both.

On the face of it either would be a decent replacement for Evans.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 11:42:17 »

Quote from: "sonic youth"
perhaps he's a lifelong town fan, reg?

fair points though, we'd probably have to fork out some cash for pidgeley so it's time for mr power to put his money where his mouth is - would be a lovely signing though.

the thought of an experienced backup goalkeeper who isn't entirely useless fills me with glee as well.

This is, of course, the great imponderable, if we are serious about getting the club moving forward under Wise, then Pidgeley is just the sort of signing we should be looking for.  Marshall is more realistic, and TBH I don't know a great deal about him.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: