Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 ... 93   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cricket  (Read 199457 times)
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #960 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 10:29:46 »

He should, but Bairstow is not alone in having very low standards catching. For all the athletic brilliant stops, England drop a lot of catches across the side.

The main reason Bairstow was put in over Foakes was because of his batting, and he’s been poor other than the first innings.
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #961 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 10:42:39 »

Bairstow was phenomenal last summer, but if he’s not scoring runs he should be out of the team for Foakes who should score at least as many runs but not drop the ball
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #962 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 10:53:47 »

Taking their catches has been the biggest difference between the two teams so far.

Bairstow (whilst probably the biggest) is not the only culprit here.

As for this game, you have to think England need to get another 100 or so to keep themselves in the game
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #963 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 11:11:03 »

Bairstow was phenomenal last summer, but if he’s not scoring runs he should be out of the team for Foakes who should score at least as many runs but not drop the ball
The problem with Bairstow is similar to that with Alec Stewart a few years ago.

England want him to be a top Test batsman and a top Test wicket keeper - He is neither. He is an all rounder. A number 6 batsman who can be a bit hit or miss. As a wicket keeper, he is a stopper who is prone to mistakes.

As with Alec Stewart, who was nowhere near the keeper Jack Russell was, he is being asked to do a job that is very difficult. Batting early after keeping wicket for a couple of days isn't easy.

P.S. Another problem is that Foakes is half the keeper that Jack Russell was! He's good, but he isn't great! On the batting side, he is less of a batsman than Bairstow (who is less of a batsman than Stewart was)
« Last Edit: Friday, July 7, 2023, 11:13:04 by Nomoreheroes » Logged

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #964 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 11:33:59 »

Is it really within the spirit of cricket for Australia to catch everything? I wouldn't want to win that way.
Clap
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #965 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 12:04:19 »

Not really sure what that session was. Stokes and Ali looked to be batting “proper test match batting.” Ali got away with one then decided to hit it straight to the fielder that got moved there next ball. Woakes trying to swing at everything just before lunch. Completely brain dead cricket
swindon74

Ignore
« Reply #966 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 12:24:25 »

This is just such brain dead cricket! Bairstow, Ali and woakes all pathetic dismissals! 13 dropped catches!? 0 fight in this team
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #967 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 12:46:34 »

This is just such brain dead cricket! Bairstow, Ali and woakes all pathetic dismissals! 13 dropped catches!? 0 fight in this team

Bazball is Bayliss-ball with more stupid shots
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #968 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 12:48:19 »

Mark Wood is ace.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #969 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 12:56:14 »

Looks like Stokes has realised it's time to just go for it as a one man team again at this stage. Although he's with Broad again so maybe they can frustrate the Aussies a little longer - keep Stokes on strike and Broad can tickle away a few singles whilst Stokes thrashes it about for an hour.

I'll be impressed if England get to 250 from here. But as been stated - catches win matches.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #970 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 12:58:16 »

Mark Wood is ace.

to "catches win matches" add "if you're gonna swing, swing hard" to the village cliches that are still true for the pros list!

Fuck me they've dropped one!

Ben Stokes is turning into Boromir here, getting increasingly injured and still whacking people right left and centre. If he plays all five tests it'll be a miracle.
« Last Edit: Friday, July 7, 2023, 13:00:22 by Nemo » Logged
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #971 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 13:00:59 »

Stokes dropped twice in 2 balls.

Luvverly!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #972 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 13:05:16 »

And then Broad not dropped. Every England wicket so far has been caught, and six of Australia's ten (plus three major drops).
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #973 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 13:21:56 »

I do feel like Stokes is the absolute opposite of what Ian Bell was (perhaps unfairly) accused of being. He absolutely only scores runs when England really, really need them. Injured players at both ends now!
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #974 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 13:28:55 »

I guess 250 was not a bad score afterall

I come from a land down-under
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 ... 93   Go Up
Print
Jump to: