Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Afc Rochdale v Swindon Town Matchday Thread  (Read 61665 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Monday, November 21, 2016, 10:32:40 »

Well, whatever the reasons,we are where we are - staring down the barrel. Ultimately, the blame lies with Power.

Either the budget is such that these are only the kind of players we can attract, or

The budget is fine and he's recruited a pile of shite

Ally that to an novice manager and, voila, here we are.

Don't know how long Williams will put up with being in the firing line now Sherwood is responsible for everything.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Monday, November 21, 2016, 10:41:53 »

Being a player of limited ability doesn't stop them putting in some effort, making a tackle, or being organised.

A half decent coach should be able to make their team hard to beat at the very least - even if they end up losing.

Shrews went 2-0 down and had a player sent off and managed to only lose 2-1. Gills lost to Brackley in the week yet won away at Walsall Saturday.

We got thrashed by Rochdale reserves. It's not entirely down to the players.

There's two things that stand out for me, and have done all season.

1) They aren't fit
2) They aren't disciplined

We can't play two games in a week, it's obvious. Not to mention the fact we pick up a shit load of injuries and did last season too. Sometimes it's bad luck but if something keeps happening there is a reason. The amount of bookings we've had, penalties we've conceded and the fact their heads drop as soon as we concede one points to a complete lack of discipline.

This is down to Williams. He's their mate, they all love him, which is fine but we need a 'bad cop' and that now HAS to be Sherwood.

I think we have enough in our squad to be midtable. Improvements have to be made on the two points I've stated above IMO, and we need a plan B when things don't work. I'd sooner the players were fit and organised than 'passionate'.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #272 on: Monday, November 21, 2016, 11:34:56 »

1) They aren't fit

We can't play two games in a week, it's obvious. Not to mention the fact we pick up a shit load of injuries and did last season too. Sometimes it's bad luck but if something keeps happening there is a reason. The amount of bookings we've had, penalties we've conceded and the fact their heads drop as soon as we concede one points to a complete lack of discipline.

This is down to Williams. He's their mate, they all love him, which is fine but we need a 'bad cop' and that now HAS to be Sherwood.

I think we have enough in our squad to be midtable. Improvements have to be made on the two points I've stated above IMO, and we need a plan B when things don't work. I'd sooner the players were fit and organised than 'passionate'.
I know Williams has always been good cop, arm round the lads etc and Embleton has always been the "bad cop" in the relationship, giving bollockings etc, I think the players dont respect Embleton as much as they would Sherwood, you don't take a bollocking from someone you don't think should be giving it.

Its time that Sherwood did that, as you say, and take responsibilty for when shit happens, as it did Saturday.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Monday, November 21, 2016, 11:39:37 »

Well, whatever the reasons,we are where we are - staring down the barrel. Ultimately, the blame lies with Power.

The barrel looms up again tomorrow.....    Big Bertha style.

We've conceded 4 or more on the road in successive games in Div 3, you have to go back to the tail end of 76/77 for the last time that happened.

Then we had the makings of a decent side, had a good cup run famously thrashing Fulham, and were always mid table, drawing  a few too many 2-2.  For some reason the wheels fell off for about 3 weeks in April, losing 5-0 at Palace and 4-2 at York. The Palace defeat understandable as they went up and were strong at home. York less so, but we had put 5 on them 3 weeks earlier. The wheels were quickly put back on again, gaining a point at promotion seeking Rotherham.

I would like to think there will be a collective rolling up of sleeves tomorrow, and a desire to show some pride and professionalism. Whilst not expecting any points, think it is important, we at least see or hear about some semblance of effort, and not another supine capitulation.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Monday, November 21, 2016, 12:02:16 »

I can't see how, after 20 or so games, the players are unfit. Granted, those coming back from a layoff may not be 100% i.e. Obika, but the bulk of the squad have played enough to get fit.

Appearing to be unfit is more a case of heads dropping and, consequently, a loss of desire. I think the fact that when we have won it has been to nil, so we can't be hanging on too badly at the end of games.

It's application, or lack of, an all too ready acceptance of defeat once we go behind and being bereft of confidence. Unfortunately, I'm not sure those things can be 'taught'. You've either got it or not.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Monday, November 21, 2016, 12:36:35 »

It's application, or lack of, an all too ready acceptance of defeat once we go behind and being bereft of confidence. Unfortunately, I'm not sure those things can be 'taught'. You've either got it or not.
You can, there's plenty of techniques for handling mood-management/mindset in sport. Unfortunately it can be a little circular, in that the the player has to be willing to engage with it and the individuals who lack confidence in themselves quite often also don't believe they can improve that situation so effectively end up sabotaging themselves and then say "Oh, all that psych mumob-jumbo doesn't work". And then continue to spiral downwards.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Monday, November 21, 2016, 13:10:17 »

Mmmm. Not convinced by the charlatans using psycho babble.

Too much talking, not enough doing, for me.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Monday, November 21, 2016, 13:23:34 »

1) They aren't fit

Point 3 is that a number of them aren't good enough. We shouldn't overlook this fact. BOO & Rodgers wouldn't get into any other side in the league IMO. I absolutely shit myself everytime I see them named in the same starting line up as unless they have their 1 good game in 6 it's effectively like playing with 9.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
derbystfc

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Monday, November 21, 2016, 13:33:35 »

1) They aren't fit

October Williams was talking about players not being match fit, this is down to the coaching/management staff who despite a pre season, and 2 months into the season have failed to get the team upto the required fitness

I agree with Tails 100%, and partially FreddySTFC.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Monday, November 21, 2016, 14:15:30 »

Mmmm. Not convinced by the charlatans using psycho babble.

Too much talking, not enough doing, for me.
Because you've experienced working with a sports psychologist, right?

the player has to be willing to engage with it and the individuals who lack confidence in themselves quite often also don't believe they can improve that situation so effectively end up sabotaging themselves and then say "Oh, all that psych mumob-jumbo doesn't work". And then continue to spiral downwards.
But thanks for proving the point about circularity being a problem with individuals with negative mindsets
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Monday, November 21, 2016, 14:15:51 »

Bloody hell, I've just seen the highlights, and if I was the manager I'd be either murderous or suicidal. You really would be hard-pressed to find a more spineless response, with everyone back round our box, to four harmless balls/runs into the box. BOO and Barry looked particularly shite. Edit: On a second look, you can add RRB and Jones into that. Beaten for every crucial header. And as for Rodgers' air-shot... Crash

Bugger me, respect to anyone who's still forking out to watch that.
« Last Edit: Monday, November 21, 2016, 14:22:30 by Red Frog » Logged

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: Monday, November 21, 2016, 14:31:02 »

Because you've experienced working with a sports psychologist, right?
But thanks for proving the point about circularity being a problem with individuals with negative mindsets
No. I just think it's a crock. And wtf is circularity? Proved my point about psycho babble.

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Monday, November 21, 2016, 14:33:53 »

Always loooks the same to me. Not strong enough a yard off the pace and lacking confidence.
It's like watching a kids u15s team taking on the age group 2 years older. The opposition that bit sharper, confident and better organised.
I read people dismissive of it not being down to age, aggression and experience etc. I beg to differ.
You can have inexperienced players in a side. Just not in a struggling side all at the same time. I am in no doubt that the player's labled as shit would grow in a better team. Not all of them,but the majority.
Flashheart

« Reply #283 on: Monday, November 21, 2016, 15:14:21 »

Millions is spent on Sports Psychology. Somebody should let them know they've been wasting their time all along.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: Monday, November 21, 2016, 15:21:12 »

Just goes to prove. There's one born every minute.

Up there with Eileen Drury  - or whatever her name is.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: