Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: NEW FANS GROUP - Name to be decided  (Read 17726 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Monday, June 23, 2008, 15:36:53 »

To answer a few questions, because they are similar to some I had when I was properly involved.

What is the point?

Many clubs the world over have groups of fans who try and do a little bit in an ornganised fashion to help the atmosphere at games.  RALP was an attempt to do that, but not an attempt to replace or seem better than the fans who already make that effort through their voices etc.  In fact, many where probably part of the Town End, or back in the day the Bank, Shrivvy Rd etc.

It was sort of an effort to use a bit of what "Ultras" would do, but not fully, so as not to buy into the European culture of Ultras also being very politcal, sometimes violent.

Why not just the SC or Trust?

They both have very distinct purposes.  One raises money and works with the club, the other works to try and get Supporters involved in the running/decision making of their local club.  The aims of the group were never to get involved in that.  the fact that we had such a turbulent year off the field is probably what caused the group to drift, because it became clear the politics was important.

The Bushey question

It's not an attempt to replace or outdo other fans.  As mentioned it's more a way of co-ordinating efforts of likeminded individuals.  As RALP, we generally tried to branch out and do things to get people involved who maybe were not part of the Town End, or the ones making a noise away.  It was about trying to do things to make people that little bit more positive, to concentrate on getting involved if they could.  Sometimes it went well, Yeovil away, sometimes it was a bit of a damp squid.  It also served as a way of socliasing, likeminded fans getting together, maybe making an away trip they wouldn;t have on their own.  The fact that we had 3 mini buses for 1 game (it was 3 wasn't it?) was damned impressive.  I know that a fair few of those would not normally have gone, especially not in a group.  That in itself can help, a spirit of fun (ok, sometimes with the aid of beer!), togetherness, call it what you like.

Overall, it's why I completely support Gazza and his efforts.  A flag and logo are important because it allows people to recognise what it means and stands for, provided the message is put out as well.  On speaking to people at the club, our efforts were generally well received, and a few people I never met knew what RALP was.  That for me was great, it was never about personalities, always about doing that bit extra for the club.  There were far easier and less expensive ways of getting your mug in the Adver, that's for sure.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: