Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 ... 93   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cricket  (Read 199477 times)
DMC

« Reply #900 on: Sunday, July 2, 2023, 15:59:50 »

It makes sense but in my thick as shit mind i still think having at least 1 who is decent at the end would have given them a chance wouldn't it today. The minute it was just the 3 left it was game over, a half decent batter would have given them a chance ... No ?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #901 on: Sunday, July 2, 2023, 16:09:17 »

It makes sense but in my thick as shit mind i still think having at least 1 who is decent at the end would have given them a chance wouldn't it today. The minute it was just the 3 left it was game over, a half decent batter would have given them a chance ... No ?

The batters are only out when they personally are out, not the pair, so a good batter can often be left towards the end (as Stokes was today).

You do see the sort of thing you're describing sometimes with night watchmen (basically, they throw a rubbish batter they don't mind getting out in when there are like 10 minutes left in a day and the real batters don't fancy it because it's dark or something) and it broadly doesn't seem to change much.

There are one or two recorded cases of "reversing the batting order" i.e. sending in the shit ones first in very specific circumstances, but you do look silly if you end up with a Joe Root or whoever not out when the other ten wickets have been lost.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #902 on: Sunday, July 2, 2023, 16:09:45 »

But a lot of the time, a half decent batter would have still been at the crease anyway. We had 6 batters in our team this test, 1 all rounder and 4 bowlers. You’d hope one of them could still be around at the end of an innings.
Having another batter coming in at 10 or 11 wouldn’t be any benefit as he wouldn’t have much time to score.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #903 on: Sunday, July 2, 2023, 16:13:31 »

Just seen the Bairstow thing back. Dozy as fuck from Bairstow. I assume umpires call over in international cricket the same way I would umpiring in club cricket.

It's not great from the Aussies particularly but I don't think it's worth the sheer amount of anger there seems to be.

Real Schrodinger's Ashes this one - my point of view is we've had two tightly contested, entertaining games with England playing much closer to the Aussies than their "true" level but I can also see the argument where we've lost two games, one against Australia with Smith & Marnus making 38 runs in the match and us declaring an innings, and the second where the Aussies had 10 men. Pick your own adventure I guess.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #904 on: Sunday, July 2, 2023, 16:17:25 »

In his mid 20's Broad was quite handy with the bat

Despite being known for his bowling prowess, Stuart Broad scored a superb 169 while batting at nine during England's first-innings versus Pakistan in 2010.

So, give no fucks
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #905 on: Sunday, July 2, 2023, 16:18:28 »

In his mid 20's Broad was quite handy with the bat

Despite being known for his bowling prowess, Stuart Broad scored a superb 169 while batting at nine during England's first-innings versus Pakistan in 2010.

That was in the spot fixing game, so append your own asterisk to that...

But yes, he was a very decent batter. Then he got half his teeth broken by Varun Aaron and he's never been the same against the short ball since.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #906 on: Sunday, July 2, 2023, 16:27:07 »

That was in the spot fixing game, so append your own asterisk to that...

But yes, he was a very decent batter. Then he got half his teeth broken by Varun Aaron and he's never been the same against the short ball since.

Fair point but can't deny he used to be a decent batsman.

All kicking off at the end with the members.

* IMG_4789.PNG (415.1 KB, 1536x1190 - viewed 56 times.)

So, give no fucks
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #907 on: Sunday, July 2, 2023, 16:28:38 »

Fair point but can't deny he used to be a decent batsman.

All kicking off at the end with the members.

That was at lunch, not after.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #908 on: Sunday, July 2, 2023, 16:29:26 »

That was at lunch, not after.

Apologies didn't know that

So, give no fucks
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #909 on: Sunday, July 2, 2023, 16:30:17 »

I think Jimmy needs resting for the Headingly test, he wasn’t been at his best at all. Would like to see Mark Wood come in for him.
Moeen, if fit, will surely come back in too? So do you drop Broad or Robinson? As Tongue has done enough to stay in for me.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #910 on: Sunday, July 2, 2023, 16:32:40 »

Easiest thing in the world is to pick the right team for the last test. Wait and see what the pitch is. If Wood and Ali are fit it certainly leaves us with options.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #911 on: Sunday, July 2, 2023, 16:37:49 »

Jimmy Anderson will be 41 at the end of the month, sadly age catching up with him and not the player he once was.

So, give no fucks
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #912 on: Sunday, July 2, 2023, 17:47:16 »

As much as it pains me, Jimmy hasn't been good enough and needs dropping. Give him a rest and bring him back for Old Trafford.

Broad is always good for a few wickets so I'd keep him in. Wood needs to play if he's fit enough.

And after today's shennanigans, Foakes must be eagerly waiting by the phone, surely?!
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #913 on: Sunday, July 2, 2023, 18:12:03 »

So, give no fucks
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #914 on: Sunday, July 2, 2023, 19:17:32 »

Watching that, I think he knows he’s done the wrong thing.

Bairstow was a mug but it was absolutely shabby captaincy.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 ... 93   Go Up
Print
Jump to: