Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Worst ever signing  (Read 21392 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 15:18:20 »

Has Moses Ashikodi been mentioned at all?  If so, he was also complete shite.  I can remember a game, cannot remember the opposition, but it was a midweek game at the County Ground.  He came on around the 75th minute mark and was substitued off around the 85th minute mark for Malpas' tactical re-shuffle.  Genius.

1 goals up and down to 9 men. That sub being subbed was never about Ashikodi and how he was playing. All about wasting time obviously.

He was shit though.

Andy Lonergan was terrible for us.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 15:22:18 »

Some of the suggestions on here are now getting ridiculous....it's almost like lets look at a list of Town players...we never sold him for a mill, so he must be shit.

Quality control is important on the TEF...bad signings, firstly must have cost a substantial transfer fee, or a long term contarct, and singularly failed to produce, thereby using up scarce resources and stinking out the place by hanging around.

A fella who signed on a free, in the dog days of 80's Div 4....played 200 odd games in a rise up to Div 2, under class managers....cannot seriously be considered.

In the same way as Alberto Comazzi can't, as it was soon realised he was out of his depth, so he fucked off.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 15:50:16 »

Quality control is important on the TEF...bad signings, firstly must have cost a substantial transfer fee, or a long term contarct, and singularly failed to produce, thereby using up scarce resources and stinking out the place by hanging around.

Hmmm

Cheesy
kerry red

« Reply #123 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 15:52:18 »

As I said before, it's really morphed into a remembrance of town players from days gone by who just happened not to be very good
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 16:18:15 »

As I said before, it's really morphed into a remembrance of town players from days gone by who just happened not to be very good

The majority of players then....it's something you learn quickly as Town fan. I'd say most accept this inevitable fact, and that as long as they run round a bit and show some humility it's about as much as can be expected.  More surprisingly occasionally we get a decent player, and in this day and age if they hang about for the duration of 2 year contract then it makes them a legend.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 16:25:01 »

The 'worst XI/player' discussion is a common trait amongst all football fans of all clubs. The Washbag has it's 'Hall of Shame' on its homepage but have to go in to the sitemap to find anything positive.

It's as if the supporters realise that football clubs are unable acknowledge it's lesser adored players (and why would they) so, damn it, the fanbases will.
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 16:28:41 »

Some of the suggestions on here are now getting ridiculous....it's almost like lets look at a list of Town players...we never sold him for a mill, so he must be shit.

A fella who signed on a free, in the dog days of 80's Div 4....played 200 odd games in a rise up to Div 2, under class managers....cannot seriously be considered.

In the same way as Alberto Comazzi can't, as it was soon realised he was out of his depth, so he fucked off.

Your criteria is quite correct.Therefore i'd make the following suggestions.

1.David Peach.(Ridiculous signing and McMenemy warned us that we would be wasting our Cup money).

2.Joey Beauchamp.(Enough said)

3.Andy Rollings.(Signed in exchange for kingpin McHale and totally destabilised the spine of the side).

Two of these signings cost the manager his job.

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 16:29:32 »

Beauchamp had some good games for Town.

Why-oh-why-oh-why Gorman signed him is beyond me though.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 16:37:44 »

Beauchamp had some good games for Town.

Why-oh-why-oh-why Gorman signed him is beyond me though.

Well simply, because, after Arry paid a mill for him, he could be got at something of a cut price, because he had to go somewhere near Oxford. We had Whitbread, who Arry thought a Prem defender, and was so prepared to do swap, with a small cash adjustment from us.

Arry obviously thought Beauchamp was a decent player....but then again he thought the same about Marco Boogers.

Anyway it's churlish to slag of John Gorman...when he's just set for retirement after 44 years in the game.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 16:39:38 »

Can I question a John Gorman signing next year then?  Roll Eyes
kerry red

« Reply #130 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 16:43:41 »

I don't think any manager, hopefully, signs a dud knowing he's a dud - blind optimism sure.

I think the time and money spent by supporters over a period of time almost obliges them to vent their spleen at the dross that has represented their clubs over the years.

Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 16:48:14 »

Beauchamp would never have signed if Twitter was around back then Huh?

I've said it many times, Beauchamp's goal against Wolves was amazing and he was in no way our 'worst ever signing' but I'll always question why we went in for him in the first place given his legendary status at Oxford (which was very much in place back then).
« Last Edit: Friday, May 11, 2012, 16:50:53 by Costanza » Logged
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 16:50:19 »

I dunno, the waste of money, wages, the fact he was for the most part shite and an Oxford legend then went back and there scored past us - makes him a pretty shit signing.

Maybe not the worst - but easily the most hated ex-STFC player.
kerry red

« Reply #133 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 16:54:11 »

I'll always fondly remember Mark Walters 'doing' Beauchamp in the centre circle when the ball was nowhere around.

Real hatchet man him  Clap
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 16:56:58 »

I'll always fondly remember Mark Walters 'doing' Beauchamp in the centre circle when the ball was nowhere around.

Real hatchet man him  Clap

The game we kicked him all over the place probably would not happen nowadays. Brilliant stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: