Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Worst ever signing  (Read 21107 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 19:29:27 »

People (mostly younger) don't realise how they ripped the fanbase apart. I couldn't go to games during this era (and afterwards) as my dad stopped going because of them.

I'm not questioning your father thing, but the notion that people weren't at that derby because of McMahon is rubbish. we played them under Hoddle not 3 years before and only had 7000 odd, whereas there were 10,000 in 96.

Fact is we've had modest support for years...certainly since the high water mark of the 60's into pre Opec oil crisis 70's
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 19:30:52 »

I didn't even last as long as the year he won the league

Remember, he took us down to Div 2 in the first place.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 19:31:02 »

but the notion that people weren't at that derby because of McMahon is rubbish. we played them under Hoddle not 3 years before and only had 7000 odd, whereas there were 10,000 in 96.

Fact is we've had modest support for years...certainly since the high water mark of the 60's into pre Opec oil crisis 70's

That's fair enough.

Ultimately people go if the going is good and they don't when it's not.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 19:36:44 »

I know, it was the beginning of the end when the club sold Fjortoft (for half of what they had turned down earlier in the season) on transfer deadline day & didn't replace him, effectively giving up on trying to stay up.

That, and giving Shaun Taylor to the shitheads.

But the worst thing about the chuckle brothers (McMoan & Kunt) was them telling fans of 20+ years they weren't wanted at the club as they had the audacity to suggest that the team were poor & the style of football shit.

Still, it's times like those & the Diamond Mike years that make you see just how fucking lucky we are at the moment.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 19:41:53 »

That, and giving Shaun Taylor to the shitheads.

Losing Fjortoft was an inevitability (just not for the price we got for him) but selling Shaun Taylor for 2 shillings and 6 pence was an absolute joke.
Posh Red

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 19:44:37 »

Losing Fjortoft was an inevitability (just not for the price we got for him) but selling Shaun Taylor for 2 shillings and 6 pence was an absolute joke.

If they had kept Fjortoft till the end of the season we wouldn't have got much (if any) less and we would also have had a chance of staying up. However, if you were going to sell him at least sign a replacement. If the replacement turned out to be shit (ala Benyon), at least you tried.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 19:45:34 »

It should be pointed out though, that in true STFC style, we manage to finish 4th bottom, in the season when 4 go down  from the Championship as they're reducing the size of the Prem.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 19:50:30 »

Bit harsh to judge him on one appearance.

2 both of which he cost us.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 19:51:28 »

If they had kept Fjortoft till the end of the season we wouldn't have got much (if any) less and we would also have had a chance of staying up. However, if you were going to sell him at least sign a replacement. If the replacement turned out to be shit (ala Benyon), at least you tried.

There are some parallels here insofar as Mcmahon had lined up Ian Marshall, but the deal fell through, becasue he couldn't sell his house or something....at the time I thought Marshall not much cop, but he subsequently did well. in the same way we'd lined up Joe Mason as the Austin replacement, but that went tits up, so Benyon was the fall back. Glenn Hoddle got in Terry Gibson when he was forced to sell Shearer, which proves it's not easy.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 19:53:05 »

It should be pointed out though, that in true STFC style, we manage to finish 4th bottom, in the season when 4 go down  from the Championship as they're reducing the size of the Prem.

Of course, that's just our style.  However, 4th bottom seemed a long way off when McMahon took charge...

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 19:55:56 »

It should be pointed out though, that in true STFC style, we manage to finish 4th bottom, in the season when 4 go down  from the Championship as they're reducing the size of the Prem.

It wasn't all bad though.  Reading finished 2nd that year - but missed out on automatic promotion for the same reason and had to try their luck in the play offs.  They won their semi and then played Bolton in the final - and were minutes from winning when Bolton equalised...and then got turned over in extra time.  I almost felt sorry for them.
Posh Red

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 19:58:18 »

It wasn't all bad though.  Reading finished 2nd that year - but missed out on automatic promotion for the same reason and had to try their luck in the play offs.  They won their semi and then played Bolton in the final - and were minutes from winning when Bolton equalised...and then got turned over in extra time.  I almost felt sorry for them.

Is that the game where Jimmy Quinn missed a penalty for Reading?

No, just checked Quinn was the player manager & scored in ET, but is was Lovell that missed the penalty.
Should have realised, Quinn hardly ever missed penalties (the only one I remember was when he tried to place it rather than smashing it in)
« Last Edit: Friday, May 11, 2012, 20:09:08 by Posh Red » Logged
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 20:24:35 »

One player from that game that should get a mention...Gary Elkins. He went on the Ruddock diet.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 20:26:31 »

People (mostly younger) don't realise how they ripped the fanbase apart. I couldn't go to games during this era (and afterwards) as my dad stopped going because of them.

so what happened during this era?
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 20:32:24 »

Nothing, everything was super great.

The club treated its fans really well and the manager wasn't at all so far up his own backside it was freaky.

There were no problems (wait, wrong regime).
« Last Edit: Friday, May 11, 2012, 20:34:22 by Costanza » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: