Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Aims for the remaining games  (Read 7532 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 08:39:26 »

Have any other football clubs ever openly come out & attribute blame for the seasons failings?

Firstly, it doesn’t matter what the club says. People have already made their minds up where the blame lays

Secondly, surely it’s a bit unprofessional to start dissecting the season publicly and naming names.

If - the clubs internal decision is that Sandro has failed to meet his KPIs and he is indeed relieved of his duties - all the club will issue is a short statement about how he’s moving on, the club thank him for all his hard work and wish him well in his future endeavours.

…this need for blood from the fans is getting borderline obsessive now.

I think a lot are hoping for and will expect something like this....

Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 08:56:20 »

I don't know about anyone else but as far as STFC goes I just want to wake up and it be preseason and feel that blind sense of excitement and optimism again. I can't face two whole months of zombie football.

Many have said this, and I know the club won't do or say anything until it is mathematically impossible to reach the playoffs, but there has to be a rapid and meaningful official statement of intent for next year/mea culpa for this season at that point. As it stands we will probably get news of what our coaches are getting up to in Karachi or an announcement of the official sponsor of the Town End puddle.

Can't see where I've asked for either blame or blood here!

It is not uncommon for clubs to say a season has been a disappointment.

At the end of the day, they need to sell season tickets, so this is just a way of bringing people back on board.

Something along the lines of "The use of data and the signing of young players will continue to be a part of the strategy going forward but we appreciate that we got the balance wrong this season and will be adopting a more pragmatic approach, led by Jody Morris, next year with a view to achieving the short term goal of promotion from L2."

No one needs to go under the bus. But I think they could do worse than rebrand Sandro a consultant (if they have to keep him) and put Morris in charge.

Another thought, given you mention Sandro's KPIs. I wonder if he has a set target of transfer income per season, and that contributed to the January sales...?
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 09:20:59 »

Come on, guys. Isn’t it obvious that this season’s recruitment was solely a ‘suck it and see’ approach.

Some winners, some losers - just like every recruitment process.

If I’m pointing the finger it’s directed at Lindsey and the terrible injury rate/suspensions - 10 red cards, wow!

The thing that worries me is the number points we’ve lost due to late goals - Sutton, Carlisle, Rochdale and Stockport to name but a few. That’s got to be a mental thing and needs to be addressed in readiness for next season.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 09:25:07 »

It can't be a coincidence that we have zero physicality. That has to have been a conscious decision.

Our current midfield makes a pairing of Sammy Igoe and Alan Young look like Makelele and Vieira.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 09:47:02 »

It was. It was Lindsey’s preference for small, technical players.

Seems to have changed his tune at Crawley, mind.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 09:52:27 »

Come on, guys. Isn’t it obvious that this season’s recruitment was solely a ‘suck it and see’ approach.

Some winners, some losers - just like every recruitment process.

If I’m pointing the finger it’s directed at Lindsey and the terrible injury rate/suspensions - 10 red cards, wow!

The thing that worries me is the number points we’ve lost due to late goals - Sutton, Carlisle, Rochdale and Stockport to name but a few. That’s got to be a mental thing and needs to be addressed in readiness for next season.

Yet Lindsey had a win rate of 33.3% whilst Morris has one of 20%, with potentially a better squad with the additions of Austin, McEchran and Brewitt?

The cards thing is bloody odd as we seem to be continuing to rack them up at a fair old rate under Morris, whilst also noting that we seem to be a team of lightweights...

As for the late goals its either metal or they aren't fit enough...
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 09:53:36 »

It was. It was Lindsey’s preference for small, technical players.

Seems to have changed his tune at Crawley, mind.
You would have to after realising it doesn’t work, you’ve not got a good enough squad and you’re up to your neck in shit.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 10:17:55 »

Yet Lindsey had a win rate of 33.3% whilst Morris has one of 20%, with potentially a better squad with the additions of Austin, McEchran and Brewitt?
But Lindsey also had Gladwin, Reed and McKirdy (for 5 games) Baudry (12 games) add to that the sometimes decent Iandolo as a squad player who has been injured since Morris arrived, the suspension of RHM for 3 games, the suspension of Khan for 5 games, FBT for 5 games with injury, Lavinier injured for 4 of those games, the season ending injury to Brennan.

Slightly mitigating circumstances I would suggest to a poor run.

With a fully fit squad I would think we would have had better results as the defence has been a piecemeal for several games forcing us to play Minturn on a few occassions, a player who had never played a full game above Conference South level previously in defence for a few games.

Its far too early to judge Morris IMO and for me if Lindsey was still with us then results would have been even worse, just my opinion though.

But at the end of the season we can all say that recruitment fell short this season, some seasons it does but you regroup and move on and Morris will get players in who will play the roles in his prefered formation in the Summer and I think we will be hopefully up there next season if we can indeed add some good players and get rid of the chaff in the Summer.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 10:24:16 »

Whilst I don’t disagree with what you’ve said - I don’t think we can put the mass amount of injuries we are getting all of a sudden down as an ‘act of God’
That many injuries in that short space of time - to me indicates that one (…or more) of the training / rest / recovery is wrong.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 10:28:09 »

But Lindsey also had Gladwin, Reed and McKirdy (for 5 games) Baudry (12 games) add to that the sometimes decent Iandolo as a squad player who has been injured since Morris arrived, the suspension of RHM for 3 games, the suspension of Khan for 5 games, FBT for 5 games with injury, Lavinier injured for 4 of those games, the season ending injury to Brennan.

With a fully fit squad I would think we would have had better results as the defence has been a piecemeal for several games forcing us to play Minturn on a few occassions, a player who had never played a full game above Conference South level previously in defence for a few games.

Its far too early to judge Morris IMO and for me if Lindsey was still with us then results would have been even worse, just my opinion though.

But at the end of the season we can all say that recruitment fell short this season, some seasons it does but you regroup and move on and Morris will get players in who will play the roles in his prefered formation in the Summer and I think we will be hopefully up there next season if we can indeed add some good players and get rid of the chaff in the Summer.
Exactly this, agree with you 100% especially your last paragraph. Gotta get it sorted this summer and hit the ground running.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 10:28:31 »

Oh I don't disagree with you, including with that Morris will need time, just playing devils advocate and being a bit naughty.

Although this mischievous part of me wonders what sort of reception someone like Bircham, after all the wailing when it looked like he was favourite, would be getting in the same position with 2 wins in their first 10 games under the same circumstances.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 10:39:03 »

Oh I don't disagree with you, including with that Morris will need time, just playing devils advocate and being a bit naughty.

Although this mischievous part of me wonders what sort of reception someone like Bircham, after all the wailing when it looked like he was favourite, would be getting in the same position with 2 wins in their first 10 games under the same circumstances.
Yes I know what you are saying, we are giving Morris a little more leeway I think that some newly appointed managers may have got, but I do think that whoever was manager could well be suffering the same fate on the pitch.

Whilst I don’t disagree with what you’ve said - I don’t think we can put the mass amount of injuries we are getting all of a sudden down as an ‘act of God’
That many injuries in that short space of time - to me indicates that one (…or more) of the training / rest / recovery is wrong.
I agree, I think training must be at fault if not fully then partly so, I dont know if thats down to the current manager or the club training system which has not changed since Morris arrived?

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 10:47:47 »

Yes I know what you are saying, we are giving Morris a little more leeway I think that some newly appointed managers may have got, but I do think that whoever was manager could well be suffering the same fate on the pitch.
I agree, I think training must be at fault if not fully then partly so, I dont know if thats down to the current manager or the club training system which has not changed since Morris arrived?

It’s a huge assumption on my part based on nothing but Morris’ background but I do wonder if he’s trying to train L2 players on a field in Calne the same way he would train some of the worlds best teenagers in state of the art facilities with an U18s specific back room set up that dwarfs our whole clubs set up…

Again - must stress it’s purely speculation on my part.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 10:51:30 »

It’s a huge assumption on my part based on nothing but Morris’ background but I do wonder if he’s trying to train L2 players on a field in Calne the same way he would trainsome of the worlds best teenagers in state of the art facilities with an U18s specific back room set up that dwarfs our whole clubs set up…

Again - must say stress it’s purely speculation on my part.
We have been told by many that Morris is a top coach when it comes to youngsters and Brand too, what you are suggesting is not out of the realms of possibility at all.

I wouldnt know the difference between great, good or bad coaches/facilities and what is needed to satisfy the needs off the pitch but it could be that we do not have the facilities to fulfill his needs.

That would come down onto Clems shoulders to sort out and would probably need investment beyond his current finances as even if we did start building improvements now we may see no results for the next 2 or 3 years at least.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, March 28, 2023, 10:54:49 »

We have been told by many that Morris is a top coach when it comes to youngsters and Brand too, what you are suggesting is not out of the realms of possibility at all.

I wouldnt know the difference between great, good or bad coaches/facilities and what is needed to satisfy the needs off the pitch but it could be that we do not have the facilities to fulfill his needs.

That would come down onto Clems shoulders to sort out and would probably need investment beyond his current finances as even if we did start building improvements now we may see no results for the next 2 or 3 years at least.

Yeah, exactly that.
It could all be hypothetical thoughts on our part but not ‘out there’ or ‘over the top’ enough that it’s outside the realms of possibility
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: