Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Football Supporting Crossroads  (Read 4740 times)
mattboyslim

« Reply #30 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 14:35:17 »

I've always been swindon, my dad's gone for well over 40 years and my grandad watched Harry Morris.  I started going when I was 7 in 1990 and before that my dad would ensure I was interested, I remember the whole financial fiasco of 1990.  I had a friend with a passing interest in Liverpool but to be honest i was never more than passingly interested in them, as people have said they were very much du jour at that time.
fatbury

« Reply #31 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 15:41:19 »

My first interest in footy was in 1978 when I saw Paul Mariner on MOTD - FA Cup semi Final Ipswich v WBA and he cut his head and still scored a winner ... so for 2 matches I was an Ipswich fan - Mariner still is and always will be one of my heros.

My first game of footy was when I was 8 and still living in London - I went to Highbury to see Arsenal play Swindon in the League cup - 1979 ... it was a 1-1 draw .. My mum was an Arsenal fan and my dad a Swindon fan.

My 2nd game was the replay and my first at the County Ground .. 4-3 to Swindon!!

Since then Ive always supported both (was thrilled to see Mariner appear in the Swindon v Ipswich centenary match at the County Ground in 1980).. but when my mum and dad went to the replay they spent the day in Swindon and found a house to move to .. hence 2 months after it I was here ...

The following season I was going with my dad to a number of games in John Trollopes final season as manager - we ended up relegated .. so naturally I fell in love with STFC and have been going ever since.

Of course I still supported Arsenal and eventually got a silver membership in 1998 - so i started going to home games of both Arsenal and Swindon for about 5 years on and off .. the Arsenal stuff really was expensive tho so I tend to not go so much these days - tho ive been to a couple of games this year to see the new stadium ... I do however have a STFC season ticket again ...

So i guess like most of you who i supported was down to my parents - but its been a brilliant ride and a top couple of sides to support .. never a dull moment. I always find it funny that Swindons finest hour was one of Arsenal's worst tho!!  
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 16:14:10 »

1985 - (and this is a true story)

My grandad is in hospital, we go to visit him on a saturday afternoon, "whilst your mum stays with grandad we can go and watch the football" says my old man

Me and my brother are well happy, we get to the hospital around 1.30 and for whatever reason dad decides against taking us, not sure why just didn't happen.

What hosptial was my old grandad in?  The John Ratcliffe in Oxford, thank fuck that we didn't go, I could have been a scummer.  A Hibs/Scotland/Oxford fan.  I'd have been Mr Popular living in Swindon.
spacey

« Reply #33 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 19:13:19 »

Quote from: "fatbury"
My first interest in footy was in 1978 when I saw Paul Mariner on MOTD,  the sight of his flowing locks and short shorts awakened something inside me. Once I'd cleaned myself up with my trusty sock I knew that footy was for me... so for 2 matches I was an Ipswich fan - Mariner still is and always will be one of my heros.

My first game of footy was when I was 8 and still living in London - I went to Highbury to see Arsenal play Swindon in the League cup - 1979 ... it was a 1-1 draw .. My dad was an orangutan and my mum was the lingerie section of a littlewoods catalogue

My 2nd game was the replay and my first at the County Ground .. 4-3 to Swindon!!

Since then Ive always supported both (was wanking like a chimp on speed to see Mariner appear in the Swindon v Ipswich centenary match at the County Ground in 1980).. but when my mum and dad went to the replay they spent the day in Swindon and found a house to move to .. hence 2 months after it I was here ...

The following season I was going with my dad to a number of games in John Trollopes final season as manager - we ended up relegated .. so naturally I fell in love with anything with a pulse and have been going ever since.

Of course I still supported Arsenal and eventually got a silver membership in 1998 - so i started going to home games of both Arsenal and Swindon for about 5 years on and off .. the Arsenal stuff really was tedious and shite  tho so I tend to not go so much these days - tho ive been to a couple of games this year to see the new stadium ... I do however have a STFC season ticket again ...

So i guess like most of you who i supported was down to my parents - but its been a brilliant ride and a top couple of sides to support .. never a dull moment. I always find it funny when the Chuckle brothers are on telly, My hero is brilliant as well!! especially now that gay fella is in it.  
McLovin

« Reply #34 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 11:44:03 »

Arf!
flammableBen

« Reply #35 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 12:46:25 »

aceness, fatbury just got served.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 16:46:40 »

my great grandad is qpr my grandad is qpr my dad is qpr and at the mexico reds family do last year i got made to stand up in front of 40-50 family members and explain why i dont support qpr.

cunts, my family the lot of them.

being brought up in mexico city it was very hard to watch english football, but due to a strange satellite placing areas of the city stretching from polanco to chauptepec park and right down to xochimilco we could pick up a small signal run by a company called swindon cable, that is why swindon has a fanbase of 32 million in mexico.
SwindonTartanArmy
Go Team GB!

London Scottish - More History than Franchise!

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 16:57:05 »

Quote from: "mexico red"
my great grandad is qpr my grandad is qpr my dad is qpr and at the mexico reds family do last year i got made to stand up in front of 40-50 family members and explain why i dont support qpr.

cunts, my family the lot of them.

being brought up in mexico city it was very hard to watch english football, but due to a strange satellite placing areas of the city stretching from polanco to chauptepec park and right down to xochimilco we could pick up a small signal run by a company called swindon cable, that is why swindon has a fanbase of 32 million in mexico.
Soapy Tit Wank

Vi er best i verden! Vi er best i verden! Vi har slått England 2-1 i fotball!! Det er aldeles utrolig! Vi har slått England! England, kjempers fødeland. Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana--vi har slått dem alle sammen. Vi har slått dem alle sammen. Maggie Thatcher can you hear me?
Your boys took a hell of a beating!"
fatbury

« Reply #38 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 19:02:19 »

to Spaceys take on my history ...

TO Mex - What appeared on Swindon Cable footy wise? The footy highlights from STFC? I never had it so ive no idea
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 19:38:43 »

well stfc are quite the latino americano english team of choice now that Gus is here.  And with Ossie in the early 90's, so that's Mexico, Argentina and Uruguay covered.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 23:34:53 »

Samba Swindon!
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Saturday, September 30, 2006, 01:24:52 »

Neither of my parents have never really been interested in football, so I guess my interest in the game in general was very much self-generated through playing the game at school. My formative years were spent in the 70's with Liverpool the dominant force in England and Europe, but somehow I remember watching MOTD sometime around 1978 and seeing Spurs thump Bristol Rovers 9-0 - I started to become interested in Spurs - I had a couple of Spurs mugs that I used to wash out paint brushes Oops

I started pestering my old man to take me to a Spurs game. Sadly at the time, he was more interested in Swindon Speedway rather than football, but I remember him taking me to the CG to watch the Town play Sheffield Utd some time in the early 80's. I think we won 3-2, but Reg will put me straight. And from then on, I have been a dedicated and passionate Swindon Town fan. I don't know what might have happened if my old man had taken me to Trashton Grate - a lucky escape me thinks Wink

I still keep an eye out for Spurs results, and I enjoy playing with them on FM, but I'm a STFC fan through and through.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #42 on: Saturday, September 30, 2006, 10:00:44 »

My dad fucking hates football but i've always loved it. I first started going to the Town games when kids could go for £1 but then i grew up and couldn't afford it anymore. :-(

Then this year my lovely wife bought me a season ticket for my birthday and I'm back on the swindon train! get in
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: