Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Football Supporting Crossroads  (Read 4791 times)
Amir

« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, September 27, 2006, 22:29:58 »

My dad supports Fulham but hasn't been since the 70's so I was taken to see Bristol City at Wembley in '87 or '88 as my mum's side mostly support them.  Thought they were shit, and when I was older started jumping on a train with some mates to go and watch Swindon.  Never looked back.

Just think what a huge club I could be supporting now.
mr ian

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, September 27, 2006, 22:30:19 »

Quote from: "Tails"
My dad took me to Swindon as soon as I was old enough. Funnily enough there was actually a lot of Swindon fans in my school anyway so I always had a mate to take with me.

i was about the only swindon fan in school

thats why i was bullied
STFCDude

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, September 27, 2006, 22:36:59 »

Quote from: "Amir"
My dad supports Fulham but hasn't been since the 70's so I was taken to see Bristol City at Wembley in '87 or '88 as my mum's side mostly support them.  Thought they were shit, and when I was older started jumping on a train with some mates to go and watch Swindon.  Never looked back.

Just think what a huge club I could be supporting now.

You are supporting a huge club Wink
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 08:25:09 »

My cousin from Gloucester, a Spurs and Swindon fan, took me to Gloucester City v Swindon friendly in '88 when i was 9. This was my first experience of live football.

My Dad hates football but luckily a neighbour went regularly and took me along to the County Ground, been hooked ever since. I remember getting my knee stuck in the railings at the front of Shrivvy road stand the first time I went.
Bushey Boy

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 08:37:39 »

My old man is a workaholic and isnt into any sport. He wasnt about as a kid so my mum arranged for a friends dad to take me when my mate was away.  First game was swindon vs newcastle and there were 3 penalties, 2 being saved, that was it I was hooked for life.  In fact my mrs keeps seeing the bloke who used to take me and keeps saying he has alot to answer for.

The bloke was sound, took me to every game even had a season ticket for about 5 years with him and his son.  I remember once all three of us were walking along Queens Drive to the game, he said ..lads walk on the inside so im closest to the cars...I asked why, he said if a car comes off the road it will hit me and not you...I asked where our season tickets were, he said in my left pocket why? I replied If a car hits you we dont want to miss the game.

A truely great man who I will always respect.

SwindonTartanArmy
Go Team GB!

London Scottish - More History than Franchise!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 09:42:24 »

Got free tickets from Dave Mitchell and my dad started taking me along in the early 90s. Would probably have taken me to Ibrox if we hadnt lived 360 miles away from there! Soapy Tit Wank

Vi er best i verden! Vi er best i verden! Vi har slått England 2-1 i fotball!! Det er aldeles utrolig! Vi har slått England! England, kjempers fødeland. Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana--vi har slått dem alle sammen. Vi har slått dem alle sammen. Maggie Thatcher can you hear me?
Your boys took a hell of a beating!"
Piemonte

« Reply #21 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 10:01:03 »

I supported Liverpool as a boy, mainly because my dad did although it did help that they were the all conquering side at the time Smiley

The 1st game my dad took me too was The play off final in 1990, after that he started taking me fairly regually.  Thanks to this he pretty much supports STFC and liverpool equally now. I've never seen him look so confused as when we played LFC at anfield in the premiership(we were sat in the STFC end) , when Barnes equalised late on he didnt really know weather to be happy or pissed off! Secretly I think he was pleased it was a draw and Swindon did themselves proud.
spacey

« Reply #22 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 10:26:31 »

Up until the age of about 6 my dad used to take me to go and see Bolton.It was at this time that my Grandad took me and my brother to one side and said " look lads, I think you should know neither of you were born in Bolton, and in my opinion you should be supporting the club from the Town you were born."

the following conversation with my mum is exactly how it happened Wink

Me: Mum, where was I born? Grandad reckons I should support the club from where I was born.

My lovely mum: Did he now, your dad's not gonna be pleased about that.

Me: well where was I born then?

My lovely mum: Swindon

Me: No seriously, where was I born?

My lovely mum: I told you, Swindon.

Me: I'm not laughing here, just tell me honestly.

My lovely mum: You were born in Swindon

(sound of my Grandad pissing himself laughing in background)

Me: oh for fuc......

My lovely mum: Get to your room!

My father has never recovered from me turning my back on his team, and can now be found festering in his own filth in a maximum security home for the hard done by.
Bushey Boy

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 10:32:20 »

Devon Red

« Reply #24 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 11:55:21 »

My dad is a rochdale supporter but due to us living in swindon, he used to take me to swindon games as it was too far to travel to rochdale. Even though we moved away from swindon when I was 5 i've kept supporting them due to these early games I don't have huge memories of.
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 12:12:16 »

with any luck, saturday i shall be sat in the family enclosure (no swearing for james then) with my brother-in-law, and my 4 1/2yr old nephew, for his first game!

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 12:23:47 »

swindon, its in my blood...

my dad took me, just like his dad took him, just like his dad took him, just like his dad took him x4
SwindonTartanArmy
Go Team GB!

London Scottish - More History than Franchise!

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 12:57:39 »

Quote from: "mr ian"
Quote from: "Tails"
My dad took me to Swindon as soon as I was old enough. Funnily enough there was actually a lot of Swindon fans in my school anyway so I always had a mate to take with me.

i was about the only swindon fan in school

thats why i was bullied

explains alot!

Vi er best i verden! Vi er best i verden! Vi har slått England 2-1 i fotball!! Det er aldeles utrolig! Vi har slått England! England, kjempers fødeland. Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana--vi har slått dem alle sammen. Vi har slått dem alle sammen. Maggie Thatcher can you hear me?
Your boys took a hell of a beating!"
quinnismyhero

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 14:08:38 »

First game -v- Port Vale in 1977 on the Bodmans coach from 'Vizes been hooked ever since although born a scouser and am still a fervent follower of the Reds.
McLovin

« Reply #29 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 14:20:09 »

Italia 90 was my first real footballing interest when i was 6. Gazza was a hero, and he played for Spurs.  As a large section of my family came to the westcountry from London, they had a penchant for the Yids too, so i supported them. A year later, they won the 1991 FA Cup final and that was it. They were my team.

That was until 1993, when my Swindon-born Gramp decided i should start watching 'proper football' and took me along to the County G. I loved the buzz of the live game, and at the end of that season, he treated me to the playoff final.

Ever since then, i've only missed a handful of home games, and try to make 6 or 7 away games a year, finances and effort permitting. I still look out for the Spurs results, and maybe go to the Lane once a season, but over the last couple of years, i've become less and less bothered with them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: