Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Austin & Paynter  (Read 18605 times)
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Thursday, April 8, 2010, 11:56:57 »

I think that if we lose Paynter we'll have Cox on loan next season. I know i said that earlier in the thread, but that would be seriously sweet. I also think Austin and Cox would be seriously prolific as they'd compliment each other so well.
I know I've just said it's to early to speculate until we know what division we're going to be in next season......BUT what the hell here goes.....who is to say we couldn't get Cox back permanently if we went up? I don't know how much we've received from WBA to date but it's probably not that much. Say for argument's sake we've received 500k cash for him. We could 'buy' him back for £1.4 million. It's the same principle as when Chopra went from Cardiff to Sunderland for £5 million and Cardiff eventually 'bought' him back for £4 million.

Having said all that, I'm not sure how they would work as a partnership. I suppose it would be like the old 'Deadly Dunc' and Stevie White partnership (which was not really a partnership, just two great goal scorers)..which would not be a bad thing.

Stranger things have happened Hmmm
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Thursday, April 8, 2010, 12:54:44 »

Sadly I doubt Cox sees his next step as coming back to us, even if we get promoted.

I hope I'm wrong.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #92 on: Thursday, April 8, 2010, 12:58:46 »

Sadly I doubt Cox sees his next step as coming back to us, even if we get promoted.

I hope I'm wrong.

I think Cox's period at Swindon has finished and hes moved on, it will be a backward step for him to return to us.

Personally I woul dlove him back but I can't see it.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Thursday, April 8, 2010, 13:01:05 »

I know I've just said it's to early to speculate until we know what division we're going to be in next season......BUT what the hell here goes.....who is to say we couldn't get Cox back permanently if we went up? I don't know how much we've received from WBA to date but it's probably not that much. Say for argument's sake we've received 500k cash for him. We could 'buy' him back for £1.4 million. It's the same principle as when Chopra went from Cardiff to Sunderland for £5 million and Cardiff eventually 'bought' him back for £4 million.

Having said all that, I'm not sure how they would work as a partnership. I suppose it would be like the old 'Deadly Dunc' and Stevie White partnership (which was not really a partnership, just two great goal scorers)..which would not be a bad thing.

Stranger things have happened Hmmm

please let this happen.
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Thursday, April 8, 2010, 13:10:01 »

I think Cox's period at Swindon has finished and hes moved on, it will be a backward step for him to return to us.

Yeah. Altho we all know playing for Swindon is the peak of any players career, they don't necessarily see it that way.

He openly said that his dream was to play for Liverpool. He has gone from Swindon to West Brom. I don't think his next step towards that dream would be to come back to Swindon.
Barry Scott

« Reply #95 on: Thursday, April 8, 2010, 13:20:51 »

Yeah good point. We'd be lying to ourselves if we thought Cox would be clamouring for a move back here. It's not like he's short of confidence or ambition.
Phil_S

Who changed my Avatar ?!

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Thursday, April 8, 2010, 13:57:44 »

I would be amazed if he left us for anyone in Div 1 if we go up. We would likely offer him wages more in line with championship football, & he would have the benefit of playing in the championship without taking the risk of having to bed in to another club. Another season with Charlie in the championship & scoring goals will do him a lot more good career wise than moving to Leeds & tryting to establish himself again at a Div 1 club. A risk that Coxy took & seems to have backfired on him. Of course it may be that we don't go up, & Leeds do, or that we both go up, in which case he may move, but I think we are a better bet at present than Leeds

From the Dark Side
pride_of_wilts

« Reply #97 on: Thursday, April 8, 2010, 13:59:26 »

It would be a total disaster if we didn't go up and we lost Paynter & Austin in the summer, I hope they both stay but i think Paynter will leave either way.

Pericard could be our only striker in the summer, Cox is history now, No point going on about him anymore!
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Thursday, April 8, 2010, 14:09:37 »

Cox has not exactly done a lot this season though has he? Who exactly would be clamouring for his services? He's not much more than a bench warmer at WBA and that's hardly likely to change in the Prem. It will be basically the same situation he was in at Reading:

Competition    Apps (as sub)    Goals    

League               13  (11)        8       
FA Cup                 3  (0)       0        
League Cup         3  (0)            1

Don't think Liverpool will be in for him just yet do you? (not a bad goal ratio though)

Having said all of that, at the end of the day, the best possible scenario for me would be for us to get promoted and hold on to Billy and for him and Charlie to be our starting strikers for the first game of next season in the Championship (that sounds sooooooo good Cool)

I think I am just saying that with the current Board, you should never rule anything out.

Spy

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Thursday, April 8, 2010, 14:10:51 »

It would be a total disaster if we didn't go up and we lost Paynter & Austin in the summer, I hope they both stay but i think Paynter will leave either way.

Pericard could be our only striker in the summer, Cox is history now, No point going on about him anymore!

They won't both leave. Paynter might go but Austin will be a Town player next year.
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Thursday, April 8, 2010, 14:11:10 »

the whole discussion is pointless, really. The reason Paynter hasn't extended his contract is partly him wanting to wait and see what division we're in – as anyone would – and partly because - and quite rightly - players and management are busy and focused trying to sort out promotion. if we stay down, then yeah - he may go. If we go up, I don't really think there's a discussion to be had. Without question, he would stay. He'd be playing footie at a highler level, would be on more money and wouldn't have to move.

For now it's all bollocks and pointless speculation.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Thursday, April 8, 2010, 14:22:06 »

For now it's all bollocks and pointless speculation.
Of course it is. But that's never stopped us in the past has it?

We do have to keep up the '80% bollocks' quota don't we? Cool
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Thursday, April 8, 2010, 14:25:41 »

bollocks to me involves talking about facebook, elections - this discussion really is just pointless until we know what league we're in.
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Thursday, April 8, 2010, 14:37:43 »

As west brom look dert certs for promotion it wouldnt surprise me at all to see Coxy move to another championship club to get regular football again and try to prove himself.  His record at WBA isnt too bad when he's actually played but they have a lot of good players.

suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Thursday, April 8, 2010, 14:51:47 »

Cox has not exactly done a lot this season though has he? Who exactly would be clamouring for his services? He's not much more than a bench warmer at WBA and that's hardly likely to change in the Prem. It will be basically the same situation he was in at Reading:

Competition    Apps (as sub)    Goals    

League               13  (11)        8       
FA Cup                 3  (0)       0        
League Cup         3  (0)            1

Don't think Liverpool will be in for him just yet do you? (not a bad goal ratio though)

Having said all of that, at the end of the day, the best possible scenario for me would be for us to get promoted and hold on to Billy and for him and Charlie to be our starting strikers for the first game of next season in the Championship (that sounds sooooooo good Cool)

I think I am just saying that with the current Board, you should never rule anything out.

I might be being cynical here, but any chance there maybe a payment trigger if he plays 20 full games?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: