Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: O'Brien  (Read 15372 times)
Bodins left foot

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Monday, August 30, 2010, 17:22:10 »

O'Brien has only played a handful of games for us, less than Pericard and unlike him he's shown he has a trick or two.

What other player do we have with any pace?
Ball, JPM and Charlie are quick but not fast; Douglas, Prutton, Ferry are pedestrian and Pericard OMG ... we might as well hammer a 6'1" fence post into the pitch and write Pericard 9 on it..!!!

You might gob off over O'Brien's weaknesses but you can't deny the lads got a firework up his arse when he runs. There is a glimmer of some quality and he'll scare the crap out of opposing right backs with his pace.

O'Brien needs time and an opportunity to build up an understanding with the midfield and our left back, who IMO is also a problem - he's a bit 'too average'..!!
« Last Edit: Monday, August 30, 2010, 17:25:20 by Bodins left foot » Logged

Bahamas Dave
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Monday, August 30, 2010, 18:01:22 »

What other player do we have with any pace?

Exactly, defenders hate pace and AOB is pretty much the only one who gives us that threat.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #47 on: Monday, August 30, 2010, 18:05:05 »

I fear that it's too late for Alan O'Brien now. I think regardless of form he'll struggle to win over those who are so keen to shout abuse at him.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Monday, August 30, 2010, 18:52:53 »

Am i the only person  who thought danny ward was just ok?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Monday, August 30, 2010, 18:54:59 »

Owen Coyle....?
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #50 on: Monday, August 30, 2010, 18:55:17 »

He is getting no more shit than jpm or paynter got when they didn't perform. That changed with good performances. Most people i know are desperate for him to perform.
Arch Stanton

Wallowing in negativity

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Monday, August 30, 2010, 19:04:36 »

He was a good player and is still young and learning, so he could turn into a fantastic player given time,  but I think theres a lot of rose tinted glasses being worn now he's gone.

I'm bound to be shouted down about this but there were plenty of games last season that he didnt contribute at all, just my opinion and all that. The Adver comments section writers are just using the whole Ward issue as a stick to continue beating Wilson with.
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Monday, August 30, 2010, 19:08:21 »

Am I the only one who misses McNamee runs down the wing??
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Monday, August 30, 2010, 19:13:18 »

For me, O'Brien is a very frustrating player.

With the ball at his feet or played in front of him he can be very dangerous. He has pace, seems quite determined and his crossing is getting better.

But for me his positional play is poor. Whether it's just the way he thinks or whether he's been told to do it I don't know, but he hardly ever offered an option to Rose on Saturday.  I'll admit to having a moan about him a few times against MK. When your left back has the ball at his feet, you want your left winger hugging the touch line giving an option. O'Brien just kept drifting infield where he gets picked up easily and therefore Rose was left with no option but to punt it long.

If O'Brien can adapt his game and play as an out and out winger then I've no doubt he could prove a real asset.
Dozno9

« Reply #54 on: Monday, August 30, 2010, 19:21:09 »

Am I the only one who misses McNamee runs down the wing??

I like it when McGovern does it, although it is normally towards his own goal in the trail of the winger he was meant to be marking.
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Monday, August 30, 2010, 19:24:54 »

At his best Macca excited me in a way none of our current players do.

I'll accept he wasn't like that towards the end of his time with us tho.
Spencer_White

« Reply #56 on: Monday, August 30, 2010, 19:29:18 »

mcnamee was fucking rubbish most of the time and it was excellent business to get rid.

END OF STORY.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Monday, August 30, 2010, 19:31:12 »

Macca took the piss out of Pompey in that pre-season friendly. Granted it was only a friendly but the skill shown that day was still phenomenal. Unfortunately he wasn't always like that and what we lost when he left in terms of individual flair was more than made up for by Ward's work rate.

I thought Ward was excellent last season in the main. A 100%'er that chipped in with a fair few goals as well. When you take into account his age he looks a top prospect.
jb

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Monday, August 30, 2010, 19:38:01 »

I thought he was decent. Just needed to work on his tracking back and crossing..

Although bit of a tit wanting to play in front of a bigger crowd..

Loves the fame does our Tone..
« Last Edit: Monday, August 30, 2010, 19:41:08 by jb » Logged
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Monday, August 30, 2010, 19:46:15 »

O'brien spent 90% of the time on Saturday out of position. I agree he's fast as fuck and scares opposition defenders, but you could count the number on runs down the wing he had on one hand.

I'm not saying he's shit, but he is definitely worse than what we had in that position last season. I haven't heard anyone boo him at games, but for me he's not yet delivered much to cheer about.

It's All Good..............
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: