Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Almunia 4 England?  (Read 9391 times)
jonny72

Ignore
« on: Friday, May 1, 2009, 16:47:04 »

Almunia qualifies for English citizenship this summer, which in turn means he could play for England. Pretty certain no one has ever played for England before under these circumstances, would we do it or not?

I reckon Capello should be on the phone to Almunia and offering to help him fill the forms out. James is getting old and won't last much longer and we haven't got a decent 2nd choice keeper so we need Almunia and we need him now. I'd probably make him 1st choice on the spot.
santasdead

« Reply #1 on: Friday, May 1, 2009, 16:56:21 »

He's 31 though- too old for the long run. probably OK for the next world cup,but thats all.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, May 1, 2009, 16:58:16 »

I read somewhere that Capello had already asked about Almunia and Arteta, and was told by the FA that although qualified he shouldn't use them.

nochee

« Reply #3 on: Friday, May 1, 2009, 16:59:33 »

How much effort would he put in if we were to meet Spain. He would get ruined from the press if we lost to them in an important match. Not that that would stop him, im sure.

But would you fancy him in goal against them?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, May 1, 2009, 17:04:44 »

It may be legally correct, but it doesn't feel right that somebody could play for a country just because they've lived there a while.

It was dubious enough with the grand parent ruling (I could have played for Rep of Ireland, England or German if I hadn't been shit. But this is a step to far.

I wouldn't go mental if it happened, but it wouldn't feel right.
flammableBen

« Reply #5 on: Friday, May 1, 2009, 17:07:57 »

Who's the last player to represent England who wasn't born here or elsewhere in the UK? John Barnes is the obvious one I guess, have there been any since.
flammableBen

« Reply #6 on: Friday, May 1, 2009, 17:08:42 »

I forgot Owen Hargreaves didn't I?
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, May 1, 2009, 17:09:59 »

I forgot Owen Hargreaves didn't I?

Had he even been to England before he got picked?
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, May 1, 2009, 17:12:06 »

Most of our Cricket team arent from England. Why not the Football.

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, May 1, 2009, 17:16:01 »

Most of our Cricket team arent from England. Why not the Football.

Cricket is only played in a handful of countries, all of which were former colonies, thus making citizenship slightly ambiguous in certain cases.  Despite Gibraltar and the best efforts of El Draco, Spain missed out on the chance of being part of the Brittas Empire.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #10 on: Friday, May 1, 2009, 17:43:57 »

Almunia is no better than James. No thanks.
JPC82

« Reply #11 on: Friday, May 1, 2009, 18:18:26 »

It annoys me that almunia is being mentioned so much because of 1 good performance on Wednesday, he is a very average keeper
Rich Pullen

« Reply #12 on: Friday, May 1, 2009, 18:39:48 »

It annoys me that almunia is being mentioned so much because of 1 good performance on Wednesday, he is a very average keeper

I'm pretty sure I've read Alumnia being linked to England many times over the last year.

But yes, he's average - like most goalkeepers in the top flight.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, May 1, 2009, 19:34:51 »

Interesting that Bob Wilson says he shouldn't be picked for England, given his history.

Wilson was born in England, lived his entire life in England and played his entire career in England. But he had Scottish parents and was happy playing for Scotland when given the chance (only twice as it happens) as England weren't interested in him. Almunia has lived and played in England for 5 years - I'd say that makes Almunia more English than Wilson was Scottish, same applies to Hargreaves.

The real problem is people getting their heads shoved up their arses about having to "be English" to play for England and to "be English" you have to have "English blood". What the fuck is "English blood"? Is it a different colour? Does it have in built qualities that other more inferior types of blood don't?

If he qualifies for England and Capello wants to pick him, then let him pick him. Every other country would (and does) so why shouldn't we?

Rich Pullen

« Reply #14 on: Friday, May 1, 2009, 19:36:24 »

My opinion is 'meh'.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: