Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Colchester v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 22987 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Saturday, January 29, 2022, 16:53:01 »

I know people have been on Garners case for months saying we don’t have a plan B, but since we’ve started to mix it up a bit we’ve looked a much worse team.
We don’t look half as good as we did when we were playing good football.

I'd argue very little has changed, just we have been pressed and had to play into the channels a little more as a result.  Today we looked quite good at times - the bit where we threw that away was when we reverted to trying to play keep ball.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Saturday, January 29, 2022, 16:55:07 »

What a fucking mess of 20 minutes that was.  Didn't, as far as I can remember, have a shot on target after they went down to 10 men.  Terrible game management by all concerned.  At least we had 80% of the possession in that period though, eh?

Prior to that we had played quite well, not brilliant, but controlled.  Iandolo put three or four blinders into the box.  Davison is going to frustrate me, I can see it.  The issue was that we looked very likely to gift them a chance, so getting the second when up a man was surely the priority.  Nope, clear message sent on to just see it out - Gladwin coming on is not a problem if you are asking him to drive on the right.  Instead, he was clearly sent on to pass to O'Brien at every opportunity.  It looked scripted, so you have to assume his instructions were to get out there and just get on the ball and keep possession, not worry about attacking.
Gladwin is a luxury flair player! He's not a destructive midfielder, which is what we needed to close things out.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Saturday, January 29, 2022, 16:55:56 »

we reverted to trying to play keep ball.

The thing is that is what we are supposed to be good at, and you’d think against 9 men we should be able to do it, but no we still manage to concede an injury time goal.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: Saturday, January 29, 2022, 16:57:12 »

Gladwin is a luxury flair player! He's not a destructive midfielder, which is what we needed to close things out.

He is, and against nine men he'd have tons of space to operate in. He's on paper a perfect player to bring on to put nine men under pressure, but not to attempt to see out a game. Player and tactical approach just didn't match, which is strange.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Saturday, January 29, 2022, 16:58:08 »

There wasn't a need to "see it out" though.  It was that mentality that undone us.  They were there for the taking - for starters, they didn't bother to drop a player back in, they just kept trying to press.  The spaces were huge, so there is some logic in adding Gladwin (plus Lyden had been booked and had managed a couple of fouls just before coming off).  putting Gladwin in to do nothing other than stand still and pass back was criminal (OK, over reaction, but bad game management).
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Saturday, January 29, 2022, 16:59:16 »

Switch out Gladwin. Announce Doughty. HMS Piss the League*

*Betting without FVR

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Saturday, January 29, 2022, 16:59:21 »

Embleton:
- Talking about 9 players
- Swindon seemed a little flat when Colchester went down to 9
- Needed to manage the game with intensity.
- Really, really disappointed and can see why fans would be upset
- One of the things that is important is to keep perspective
- This was incredibly disappointing.
- Refreshing that people keep the perspective that its good we still have a club
- There was only one team in it, who looked like they could win

Crackity Jones

« Reply #322 on: Saturday, January 29, 2022, 17:05:30 »

For the first time, Garner is pissing me off going on and on about not getting penalties. Just manage the game and see it out - you were 1-0 up against ,9 players FFS..
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Saturday, January 29, 2022, 17:06:47 »

Surprised that Garner has revealed that we have signed Brandon Cooper on loan

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #324 on: Saturday, January 29, 2022, 17:06:58 »

I am not angry at that I am just very disappointed, we could and should have got 3 points against a very poor Colchester side.

We had the possession and chances but didn't score enough, McKirdy and Davison guilt edged chances and Iandolo with another as well when he poorly passed clean through as well as the FK from Reed near the end.

Every point is important but we should have come away with all of them against 9 men.

No real bad performers today despite us not winning so not all bad even if if feels like a defeat at the moment.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Saturday, January 29, 2022, 17:07:23 »

the ref got the second sending off right, first offence denied goalscoring opportunity.

don't agree with whoever said we played plan B and looked worse. Second half was perfectly decent apart from not scoring more and cocking up defending the corner.

agree the subs made us worse but I think with 10 men (then 9) opposition and a game Tuesday I can see why we did it.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Saturday, January 29, 2022, 17:07:39 »

Garner:
- Huge frustration from us
- Gave away set piece
- Should have been out of sight
- We were completely dominant
- There were 3 penalties in the game
- Shouldnt have been in that situation
- McKirdy pulled down
- Williams should have been a penalty
- Goalkeeper wipes out O'Brien
- Regardless of that we should have put it out of sight
- Apart from not take chances it was very very good
- Switched off for one corner
- There was nothing coming, no threat
- Switching off from a corner cost us 2 points
- Everything else from that was positive
- Referee terrible and should get an apology
- Terrible tackle on the touchline in front of him. Two footed
- Every thing else, everything else was a brilliant performance and positive
- Not taking enough of our chances
- Davison is a bit bruised
- McKirdy disappointed
- Davison. Really good. Apart from scoring did everything else. Really good debut
- Goalkeeper kicked out when O'Brien was on the floor
- Had great control 11 v 11
- Dont know what its a red card for foul on JML and not a penalty for challenge on Williams
- Brandon Cooper: Think that's done. Awaiting official confirmation. Really strong signing
- Good defender. Good communicator. Good on the ball.
- One more loan to play with. Wont go above 5.
- Simpson & KKH: No more movement on either.
- Huge disappointment. If you draw and lose and deserve to.
- Outstanding performance

singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: Saturday, January 29, 2022, 17:08:06 »

perspective is needed. it was the perfect controlled away performance for all but one corner kick. defence looked really good, midfield buzzed around everywhere and i though davison and mckirdy worked really well and deserved a better goal return. davison won so many headers and flick ons- really involved and worked well.

extremely disappointing result at the end but it was undeserved and really should have scored more/ had some penalities.  
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: Saturday, January 29, 2022, 17:09:59 »

Garner:s
- Brandon Cooper: Think that's done. Awaiting official confirmation. Really strong signing
- Good defender. Good communicator. Good on the ball.
Sounds just what we need and must be the writing on the wall for Conroy then!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Saturday, January 29, 2022, 17:11:54 »

I think odimayo will suffer from the signing

can't see the captain being dropped, and O'Brien and cooper will be here to get minutes.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: