Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 ... 109   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trust look to buy the CG  (Read 396038 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1395 on: Monday, July 17, 2023, 19:24:38 »

Well, that was sort of my point, we were not really trying to do a "Brentford" or anyone like that.  Yes we tried to use data to get some sort of immediate advantage, but we didn't even invest enough for that to work, we let some PR chap have a bash.  Looks like fingers were burned and we've reverted back to a sort of holding pattern of sensibleness while the ground development gets off the ground.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1396 on: Thursday, August 17, 2023, 13:04:58 »

A little bit of background reading for Clem if he still believes Axis is going to make its fortunes building stadia... https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/northwest/news/2119584-contractor-building-lfcs-anfield-road-stand-extension-ceases-trading
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1397 on: Thursday, August 17, 2023, 13:26:30 »

I've often baulked at the costs that USA stadia rise to, maybe the UK industry is just not pricing this correctly.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1398 on: Thursday, August 17, 2023, 13:29:38 »

UK stadia are weird, some of them (Millenium, Amex, Brentford) seem to be delivered at a really reasonable price, and then you get a Wembley or Tottenham Stadium that get crazy pricy. Not sure if it's just luck, or having unusual requirements?
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #1399 on: Thursday, August 17, 2023, 13:38:46 »

UK stadia are weird, some of them (Millenium, Amex, Brentford) seem to be delivered at a really reasonable price, and then you get a Wembley or Tottenham Stadium that get crazy pricy. Not sure if it's just luck, or having unusual requirements?

Quite a difference between those stadia, particularly Amex/Brentford.

I'm 100% sure its also cheaper to build a new stadium elsewhere than slowly redevelop what you have.

I know a lot of people have an emotional attachment to the CG and its current location, but given the JV now owns the land, i'm pretty sure it would be easier to raise the funds by selling the current site for residential purposes and using the money to build a purpose built ground with hotel (or whatever elsewhere).
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1400 on: Thursday, August 17, 2023, 13:41:22 »

As an example, Inter Miami have approval to build a 25k seater stadium to keep Messi happy and it's going to cost $1bn.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #1401 on: Thursday, August 17, 2023, 13:43:03 »

I'm 100% sure its also cheaper to build a new stadium elsewhere than slowly redevelop what you have.

I know a lot of people have an emotional attachment to the CG and its current location, but given the JV now owns the land, i'm pretty sure it would be easier to raise the funds by selling the current site for residential purposes and using the money to build a purpose built ground with hotel (or whatever elsewhere).

Goddard covenant prevents that from happening.

Complete knock and rebuild of three sides all in one go could be an option but you'd likely have to ground share elsewhere for a season.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1402 on: Thursday, August 17, 2023, 13:43:13 »

Sure, but the price of the Amex/Brentford stadia was in the £75-100m range, the Tottenham Stadium cost £1.2bn. The capacity difference isn't 15x!

The Millenium holds more, has a retractable room and cost £120m, which looks like the deal of the century now, even if it was 20 years back.

Not a patch on the price of some of these American Stadia mind - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_stadiums
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1403 on: Thursday, August 17, 2023, 13:44:33 »

I've often baulked at the costs that USA stadia rise to, maybe the UK industry is just not pricing this correctly.

TBH I'm not sure its that much to do with Stadia, more than the large scale contracting business is on its arse in the UK at the moment.

Worth bearing in mind that depressingly Amex and Millennium were actually built quite a long time ago and construction cost inflation has gone through the roof since then, plus there was all manner of things within the Brentford scheme which made the overall cost cheaper.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #1404 on: Thursday, August 17, 2023, 13:45:09 »

Goddard covenant prevents that from happening.

Complete knock and rebuild of three sides all in one go could be an option but you'd likely have to ground share elsewhere for a season.

Who says the covenant can't be overcome. Presumably thats just held by the council, and given they get a kick back on increas of value of the land they have sold the JV, then i very much doubt there can't be some agreement reached that works for everyone.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1405 on: Thursday, August 17, 2023, 13:48:59 »

As an example, Inter Miami have approval to build a 25k seater stadium to keep Messi happy and it's going to cost $1bn.

That is mental, I assume they are building a lot more than just 4 stands for that?

the Tottenham Stadium cost £1.2bn. The capacity difference isn't 15x!

I suspect a huge part of the extra cost of the Spurs one was the way that they built it around the existing WHL, as noted above re the CG, costs of bare site building are so much cheaper!
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #1406 on: Thursday, August 17, 2023, 13:49:09 »

Who says the covenant can't be overcome. Presumably thats just held by the council, and given they get a kick back on increas of value of the land they have sold the JV, then i very much doubt there can't be some agreement reached that works for everyone.

There is also the issue of where in the hell would it be built? Every bit of land in Swindon large enough to fit a football stadium on has had houses built on it.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1407 on: Thursday, August 17, 2023, 13:56:38 »

Any covenant can be overcome if the person who is the beneficiary agrees or that the legality of the covenant later fails in law. In terms of who is able to enforce cannot comment really without knowing the wording but in this case its likley that the Goddard Estate still hold the benefit?
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #1408 on: Thursday, August 17, 2023, 14:05:36 »

The Amex took two years to build.

Could we do a knock and rebuild job of three stands in a year? Who could we even share with for a season?

All seems pie in the sky at the moment with everything going on anyway.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #1409 on: Thursday, August 17, 2023, 14:21:26 »

The Amex took two years to build.

Could we do a knock and rebuild job of three stands in a year? Who could we even share with for a season?

All seems pie in the sky at the moment with everything going on anyway.

They built the DRS in 10 weeks!
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 ... 109   Go Up
Print
Jump to: