Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: best midfield 4  (Read 3164 times)
adje

Ignore
« on: Thursday, February 9, 2006, 18:57:30 »

With everyone available what would you go for as a midfield 4 in a 4-4-2 situation?Personally; Shakes,CCP,Migz,Browny.Strong case for Paul Smith on current form though.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
stfc_carver

« Reply #1 on: Thursday, February 9, 2006, 18:59:16 »

Shakes-CCP-MIgz-Brown
Johno

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, February 9, 2006, 19:01:18 »

i'd probably go with carver....but gurney has played well recently and smith did alright. Its good theres competition. Also there is pook (nah) and whalley...
stfc_carver

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, February 9, 2006, 19:02:24 »

pook?  
my-velocity

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, February 9, 2006, 19:09:54 »

Shakes-P.Smith-Migz-Brown
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, February 9, 2006, 19:27:30 »

I know its nothing to do with the title....but I couldn't help of thinking of one of my all time favourite 4's......Ross MacClaren sweeping in front of the back 4 Tom Jones and Stigger Foley, doing the central midfield in a narrow way but leaving space for Kerslake and Bodin to join in, and Alan Mac at the point of the diamond scoring goals.

It was season 89/90, when they played some 20 odd games together continuously, we lost 1 or 2, when Stigger got injured Fitzroy Simpson could come in as squad player.we off course reached and won the PO for top flight.
DMR

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, February 9, 2006, 19:44:14 »

Shakes

Comyn Platt

Migs

Brown
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, February 9, 2006, 19:46:02 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
I know its nothing to do with the title....but I couldn't help of thinking of one of my all time favourite 4's......Ross MacClaren sweeping in front of the back 4 Tom Jones and Stigger Foley, doing the central midfield in a narrow way but leaving space for Kerslake and Bodin to join in, and Alan Mac at the point of the diamond scoring goals.

It was season 89/90, when they played some 20 odd games together continuously, we lost 1 or 2, when Stigger got injured Fitzroy Simpson could come in as squad player.we off course reached and won the PO for top flight.

Agree with you 100% on that Reg, still got great memories from that season apart from the end bit.
Lumps

« Reply #8 on: Thursday, February 9, 2006, 20:07:13 »

when Stigger got injured Fitzroy Simpson could come in

You know I'd forgotton how thin the squad was that year. In midfield there was only what was on the pitch, Fitz and Stumpy Barnard. Past that we  were relying on Ossie and Tony Galvin to turn out their creaking bones.

Shame we sold The Terminator the season after as we could still have used him then (but from what I remember he got on the coach for an away game still pissed as a fart, so what could you do).

In fact throughout the Ardiles and Hoddle years we rarely had much squad depth. Even if there'd been such a thing as a Web Forum back then, the sort of discussion that's in this thread would have been almost a complete irrelevance.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, February 9, 2006, 20:22:48 »

Brown      Migs      CCP     Shakes

Although there is an argument for Gurns
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, February 9, 2006, 20:32:17 »

Quote from: "Lumps"

when Stigger got injured Fitzroy Simpson could come in

You know I'd forgotton how thin the squad was that year. In midfield there was only what was on the pitch, Fitz and Stumpy Barnard. Past that we  were relying on Ossie and Tony Galvin to turn out their creaking bones.

Shame we sold The Terminator the season after as we could still have used him then (but from what I remember he got on the coach for an away game still pissed as a fart, so what could you do).

In fact throughout the Ardiles and Hoddle years we rarely had much squad depth. Even if there'd been such a thing as a Web Forum back then, the sort of discussion that's in this thread would have been almost a complete irrelevance.

We had Dave Hockaday still around and John Cornwell, both who could turn a hand to midfield I suppose
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, February 9, 2006, 21:10:58 »

Shakes Migz Smith Brown

CCP and Gurney close by. Nice to have choice.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, February 9, 2006, 21:24:03 »

shakes migs smith brown. simple. seems to be the favourite choice among others too
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, February 9, 2006, 21:33:54 »

If all fully fit  i would probably be inclined to  play a 4-3-1-2 formation

ccp, migs, whalley

Shakes

whalley i think is a class player, but due to injuries etc, we havent seen the best of him.  Him and Migs could be an awesome midfield if all fully fit (demonstated in the port vale game)
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, February 9, 2006, 21:36:29 »

whalley ok he's been added to my shit list (village take note)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: