Poll
Question: Are you going to Gillingham?  (Voting closed: Monday, December 12, 2005, 19:08:18)
Yes - 13 (52%)
No - 7 (28%)
Maybe - 5 (20%)
Total Voters: 13

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Who is going to Gillingham then?  (Read 5648 times)
Spud

« Reply #15 on: Monday, December 12, 2005, 20:46:17 »

We'll be Training it there.  Beers  Wink
DMR

« Reply #16 on: Monday, December 12, 2005, 21:24:07 »

Sonic, you're training it with me and Whits. It's not an option.
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Monday, December 12, 2005, 21:28:11 »

trains to games are always funny as fuck. the slightly scared looks on peoples faces as the boys jump onboard, preceless.

walrus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Monday, December 12, 2005, 21:50:09 »

SCROTum's - how far is this place from Crawley?  I'm tempted to train it and get cunted....  When is this game anyway?
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Monday, December 12, 2005, 21:52:38 »

Hopefully.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, December 12, 2005, 21:56:57 »

Possibly depends on work.

There has been talk of a mini bus for this one though personally I fancy the train.

/
W56196272
BrightonRed

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Monday, December 12, 2005, 22:02:49 »

Quote from: "Walrus"
SCROTum's - how far is this place from Crawley?  I'm tempted to train it and get cunted....  When is this game anyway?

50 miles but the train journey's a real fucker from crawley.

nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy and alcohol...
BrightonRed

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Monday, December 12, 2005, 22:03:21 »

I'll be fucking there though.. can't wait.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, December 12, 2005, 22:18:46 »

Quote from: "BrightonRed"

I sense you take a perverse pleasure in discovering the shitholes of our sceptred isle....otherwise can't really think why anyone would show much enthusiasm for a trip to Pikeyland.

From last years appraisal of crap grounds.

1. Priestfield, Gillingham

Capacity 10,952, Built 1892, Prices £15-30

New research shows that Gillingham is the biggest dump in English football. Priestfield topped an Observer poll, and this fan's view is typical of many: 'Never fails to live down to expectations. Used to be nothing more than a couple of cowsheds knocked together but after redevelopment it resembles a 1970s garage forecourt. The away end has two Portakabins for toilets and the worst catering outside Selhurst Park. The walk from the train station is like walking through the Shangri-La Caravan Park just after closing time.'

Another contributor offered the view that Gillingham 'is the place that makes Middlesbrough look like Monte Carlo'. The Observer sent reporter Jamie Jackson to investigate further. Here's his view:

'I'm going to smash you in the mouth and run off!' Gillingham High Street, Tuesday 28 September. An angry teenage lad with a crewcut is threatening a girl outside the railway station before the match. As a welcome to a town described by a football club spokesman as 'a dump', it is about right. The 'town centre' is a street of kebab houses, cheque cashers, branches of Iceland and Woolworth's, dilapidated buildings, and at least seven charity shops and discount stores. The street is book-ended by the derelict Prince Albert pub and the still-open Southern Belle. If you want to make a night of it, there's the bingo hall around corner.

The route to the stadium passes Costcutter and along a winding street of terrace houses. Apart from a newsagent, and Hair Sandra at number 189, the only sign of prosperous retail life is a branch of the drain cleaners,Dyno Rod. If the houses are not boarded up or run-down, they have rubbish and bin liners spilling on to the pavement. Along Priestfield Road there are more deserted businesses, and children fighting over bits of cardboard and swearing at each other.

An unalluring alleyway takes you on to Linden Road and the main entrance into the stadium. There is the ticket office, the club shop and the Blues Rock Café, which offers 'Karaoke at the bar for £1.50'.

In the stadium the food is poor and £26 is a bit steep for a seat. It's not the football club's fault that their town is so grotty. Chairman Paul Scally is keen to move them four miles out of town. Given what happened with Wimbledon we shouldn't be in favour of any such move, but in this case

I first went there in 66....it seems to have improved since my last visit in 87.
DMR

« Reply #24 on: Monday, December 12, 2005, 22:23:04 »

Proper old school away game, Reg.

Love it. I'd take that over somewhere like Hull or Huddersfield any day.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, December 12, 2005, 22:27:09 »

Quote from: "dave_m_russell"
Proper old school away game, Reg.

Love it. I'd take that over somewhere like Hull or Huddersfield any day.

Respect....you going tooled up and mob handed then?

A warning though... a conviction for football related trouble may jeopardise your university prospects.
DMR

« Reply #26 on: Monday, December 12, 2005, 22:29:05 »

I'm going to wear tight jeans that hang around my ankles and a dodgy leather jacket too  Cool

80's styleeeeee
Asher

« Reply #27 on: Monday, December 12, 2005, 22:30:02 »

It will be interesting down there, proper shit hole by the sounds of it.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, December 12, 2005, 22:37:17 »

Like a home game for me-its gonna be a "quality of life" defining game for me

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
BrightonRed

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, December 12, 2005, 22:39:35 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
Quote from: "BrightonRed"

I sense you take a perverse pleasure in discovering the shitholes of our sceptred isle....otherwise can't really think why anyone would show much enthusiasm for a trip to Pikeyland.

From last years appraisal of crap grounds.

1. Priestfield, Gillingham

Capacity 10,952, Built 1892, Prices £15-30

New research shows that Gillingham is the biggest dump in English football. Priestfield topped an Observer poll, and this fan's view is typical of many: 'Never fails to live down to expectations. Used to be nothing more than a couple of cowsheds knocked together but after redevelopment it resembles a 1970s garage forecourt. The away end has two Portakabins for toilets and the worst catering outside Selhurst Park. The walk from the train station is like walking through the Shangri-La Caravan Park just after closing time.'

Another contributor offered the view that Gillingham 'is the place that makes Middlesbrough look like Monte Carlo'. The Observer sent reporter Jamie Jackson to investigate further. Here's his view:

'I'm going to smash you in the mouth and run off!' Gillingham High Street, Tuesday 28 September. An angry teenage lad with a crewcut is threatening a girl outside the railway station before the match. As a welcome to a town described by a football club spokesman as 'a dump', it is about right. The 'town centre' is a street of kebab houses, cheque cashers, branches of Iceland and Woolworth's, dilapidated buildings, and at least seven charity shops and discount stores. The street is book-ended by the derelict Prince Albert pub and the still-open Southern Belle. If you want to make a night of it, there's the bingo hall around corner.

The route to the stadium passes Costcutter and along a winding street of terrace houses. Apart from a newsagent, and Hair Sandra at number 189, the only sign of prosperous retail life is a branch of the drain cleaners,Dyno Rod. If the houses are not boarded up or run-down, they have rubbish and bin liners spilling on to the pavement. Along Priestfield Road there are more deserted businesses, and children fighting over bits of cardboard and swearing at each other.

An unalluring alleyway takes you on to Linden Road and the main entrance into the stadium. There is the ticket office, the club shop and the Blues Rock Café, which offers 'Karaoke at the bar for £1.50'.

In the stadium the food is poor and £26 is a bit steep for a seat. It's not the football club's fault that their town is so grotty. Chairman Paul Scally is keen to move them four miles out of town. Given what happened with Wimbledon we shouldn't be in favour of any such move, but in this case

I first went there in 66....it seems to have improved since my last visit in 87.

Well.. as it happens I'll be staying in Canterbury.
My enthusiasm is directed towards the supposed hatred Gills fans have for us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: