Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What the fuck is this........  (Read 1164 times)
Compo

Ignore
« on: Friday, December 9, 2005, 14:49:00 »

hope its not a repost

Mystery over rugby club Town might share with
SWINDON Town could soon be ground-sharing with a major premier rugby club, according to a report into the bid for a new stadium.

But initial investigations by the Adver have revealed that the rugby club is not Bath, Bristol, nor Gloucester ­ the only Zurich premiership clubs in the region.

This comes only a day after the revelation that plans for the redevelopment of the stadium are back on track, with the council and the club currently in talks ­ as reported in late edition of yesterday's Advertiser.

Last week it looked like the planned £50m revamp would never happen after councillors raised objections ­ but now both parties are in frank and earnest discussions.

In Swindon Town's redevelopment proposal put before Swindon Council it states: "Negotiations are already taking place with two premier rugby union clubs' one of which could bring rugby to the old stadium as early as next season."

This would see the club ground-sharing with a rugby club much like Reading Football Club does with London Irish at the Madejski Stadium.

But the club has not revealed which rugby club will be coming to Swindon.

Bob Calleja, at Bath Rugby Club, said: "It's not us. I haven`t spoken to anybody at Swindon for over two years.

"Currently we have our own plans to redevelop the Recreation Ground.

"Our first priority is to stay in Bath."

Bristol Rugby Club currently ground-shares with Bristol Rovers at the Memorial Stadium.

Duncan Wood, of the club, said: "We have not been approached by Swindon.

"Last year we signed a new 15-year contract to stay at the Memorial Stadium which rules us out."

Gloucester Rugby Club plays at Kingsholm Road in the city.

The club's Alaistair Downey said: "As far as I am aware we have not been in any talks with Swindon Town.

"We have currently got plans in with the council to redevelop our own stadium."

The fresh round of talks between the council and Swindon Town seem likely to include discussions about who would own the new stadium as the legality of handing over everything to the club had been brought into question.
Dazzza

« Reply #1 on: Friday, December 9, 2005, 14:59:36 »

Lifted from the WDP story Yeovil spotted the other day here...

http://thetownend.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8218

janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, December 9, 2005, 16:24:31 »

Can't understand why the adver have ruled out Gloucester when their man said

"As far as I am aware we have not been in any talks with Swindon Town.

"We have currently got plans in with the council to redevelop our own stadium."

So as far as that particular bloke knows there are no plans however he then goes on to say they have plans to redevelop Kingsholm.  Surely therefore they'll need at least a temporary home, whilst that is being  done.  All the other rugby clubs seem fairly settled.
mattboyslim

« Reply #3 on: Friday, December 9, 2005, 16:29:34 »

At kingsholm from memory and what I have seen they have permission to re do at least 1 stand, it could b ehte main stand, but other than the reduced capactiy I can't see them being unable to play there, I think the shed has already been done or plans are in place to do it.

Rugby might be a good thing, but if they pay a couple of hundred grand a year in rent and destroy the pitch we've not gained anything, as from what I've heard a pitch cost nearly a quart of million to re-lay, plus the consequences to the already low quality football we watch.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, December 10, 2005, 17:36:56 »

As long as we still play at 3PM on Saturdays I don't mind.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, December 11, 2005, 17:18:01 »

me neither! id much rather have a rugby club ruin our pitch than not play inside the borough
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: