Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: from Western Daily press  (Read 3060 times)
yeo

Ignore
« on: Thursday, December 8, 2005, 11:41:51 »

TOWN'S GROUND PLAN IS BACK ON  
Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list  
Be the first reader to comment on this story  
BY SAM GREEN

09:30 - 08 December 2005  
Plans for the redevelopment of the County Ground are back on the table after Swindon Town Football Club and Swindon Borough Council held secret peace talks earlier this week.

The proposals looked dead in the water last week when some councillors questioned their legality and the club revealed it had been approached about building a new stadium outside the borough. However, the Daily Press can reveal that the two parties met on Monday and agreed to work together to try to get the redevelopment of Town's 109-year-old home back on track. They plan to release a joint statement in the next few days.

The news follows a pledge last month by veteran Labour councillor Barrie Thompson to set up a cross-party task group to ensure the cash-strapped club finds a new, profitable home.

The fresh talks will involve discussions about who would own the new stadium. It was previously thought the club would be the owners after years of renting the County Ground from the council. However, it is now possible that the council would continue to own the site or become joint owners with the club.

That might reduce concern amongst councillors who are worried about the legality of bequeathing £25million worth of adjacent land to the club in order for the redevelopment to take place.

The proposals include the creation of a 20,000-seat stadium, a 120-room hotel and a substantial number of starter homes.

The Daily Press also understands that the out-of-borough site where the club is being encouraged to build a stadium with another sports club is west of Swindon, along the M4. That would add weight to theories that Bath Rugby is the other club.

Meanwhile, the club claims it is close to agreeing a new deal with star striker Rory Fallon.

Swindon's top scorer is out of contract at the end of the season and is likely to attract attention from other clubs when the transfer window opens in January.

A senior member of the club's hierarchy told the Daily Press: "We have not got it all signed off yet, but we are optimistic it will be done and dusted before the end of the year.

"We recognise the danger of it going into January unconcluded. We are working to get it done and we believe we are quite close."

If true then there is some good news in this.The Trust lads did mention that the club had spoken to the Council on Monday so maybe it is true?

Also speculation(im sure it is just that) that the alternative ground is Bath with the egg chasers.
 :x FUCK THAT!

and Rory to sign  Cheesy /

/
W56196272
fatbury

« Reply #1 on: Thursday, December 8, 2005, 11:44:39 »

told u about Bath didnt  i!
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, December 8, 2005, 11:45:49 »

Quality on the ground front

Nooooooo to the Bath link

and   :| to the Rory news.
red macca

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, December 8, 2005, 11:46:48 »

i believe the council have a journey to madjeski soon to see the benefits
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, December 8, 2005, 11:49:32 »

Once the council found out that they may own all or half of the stadium, they rub their hands with glee....Greedy bastards!

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, December 8, 2005, 11:52:58 »

We'll wait and see.....
Piemonte

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, December 8, 2005, 12:30:48 »

muppetts all round. Even I realised that a way round the situation is for the council to still own at least part of the ground (see stadium thrown out thread)

Why is it such hard work to make them see whats staring them in the face?
Walt flanagan's Dog

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, December 8, 2005, 12:55:07 »

I think you'll find that the suggested development outside of swindon, was between hungerford and newbury, and would be shared with Wasps rugby club.  A developement between Cirencester and Gloucester was also suggested.  Bath was never a realistic option because of development costs.

bscure Reference-man!!
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, December 8, 2005, 12:57:22 »

Quote from: "Piemonte"
muppetts all round. Even I realised that a way round the situation is for the council to still own at least part of the ground (see stadium thrown out thread)

PM that idea was so obvious I actually assumed that that was part of the old plan.
Piemonte

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, December 8, 2005, 12:57:41 »

how do you know that then walt?
Walt flanagan's Dog

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, December 8, 2005, 13:09:17 »

When your as powerful a person as I am, people tell you want ever you want to know!

Cheesy

But seriously, my dad's very good friends with one of the top enviromental agentancy people in the Glos' area, so that came from him.  And the Hungerford/Newbury one is being quite openly spoken about in the area.  I still think this is a major possibility as Wasps are planning this anyway.

bscure Reference-man!!
red macca

« Reply #11 on: Thursday, December 8, 2005, 13:20:49 »

Quote from: "Walt flanagan's Dog"
When your as powerful a person as I am, people tell you want ever you want to know!

Cheesy

But seriously, my dad's very good friends with one of the top enviromental agentancy people in the Glos' area, so that came from him.  And the Hungerford/Newbury one is being quite openly spoken about in the area.  I still think this is a major possibility as Wasps are planning this anyway.
dont believe you
STFC Village

« Reply #12 on: Thursday, December 8, 2005, 13:32:51 »

Glad the CG redevelopment is back on, kind of neutral on the M4 ground thing*, sounds good on the Rory front**.

*Would much rather CG redevelopment, glad we've got a back up plan if it all goes tits-up again.

**Notice it's "we" are optimistic, meaning the board. I seem to remember that they were optimistic about most of the contracts we offered at the end of last season......
Piemonte

« Reply #13 on: Thursday, December 8, 2005, 13:40:41 »

Quote from: "janaage"
Quote from: "Piemonte"

PM that idea was so obvious I actually assumed that that was part of the old plan.

I know, thats what I meant. just didnt word it very well
Dazzza

« Reply #14 on: Thursday, December 8, 2005, 15:50:31 »

Cracking news all round then.

When it comes down to it sounds like all of the fuss stemmed from one or two councillors prematurely grasping at the stick and promptly getting the wrong end of it.

Mind you I wouldn’t put it past the club to go for the big score of outright ownership rather than share the spoils with several parties.  Hats off to them as well, no harm in testing the water as long as you don’t piss in it in the process.

When you look at it, it’s our only hope of ever going forward again and under this board it’s the only hope that the CVA will ever get paid up in full.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: