Poll
Question: 24hr drinking, what do you think?  (Voting closed: Wednesday, November 23, 2005, 10:34:47)
Superb! - 21 (55.3%)
Bad Idea - 8 (21.1%)
Not bothered - 9 (23.7%)
Total Voters: 23

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 24hr drinking.  (Read 7892 times)
McLovin

« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, November 23, 2005, 14:10:09 »

I like the women in Spot...
i spend every lunchtime in Steam, so it doesnt appeal in the evening.  Bloody good pub though!

Mr Fan, i'm sure lots aren't, i live on sweeping inaccurate generalisations... Cheesy
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, November 23, 2005, 16:07:19 »

I voted no, although I could be persuaded.

Reasons for:
*I can drink for longer
*If people stayed out a bit later then I could get more pissed by the end, yet still take advantage of the beer goggle effect.
*Some clubs close at 1am which is a bit crap. 3/4am is more like it, although I think they can do this anyway if they apply for a special licence.

Reasons against:
*I don't think it will decrease violence.
*I think people will get just as pissed as before, just at different times. Won't solve the problem of binge drinking but may help police cope.
*Some places could be dead for the whole night.
*It's going to make me a lot poorer.
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, November 23, 2005, 16:39:01 »

Quote from: "fatbury"
It will mean Nightclubs will be empty ...  and everyone will stay in the bar .. end of the nightclub era maybe?

Not a chance, I go to clubs to dance/pull more than to drink and this won't change that at all, they'll still have loads of people wanting to do that, just hopefully I'll be able to stay after 3am in some of them.

I think it's about time and if the 11 o clock bollocks is eradicated once and for all then at fucking last.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, November 23, 2005, 16:44:21 »

I'm not sure what it's going to do for nightclubs. You're going to get ones open til 1am/2am/3am/4am and later which means people will leave and go to the bussiest one if nothing is happening. Might end up doing club crawls instead of pub crawls  :shock:

You can't deny that people will leave one place early to get into another that opens later
Sade

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, November 23, 2005, 16:51:26 »

We had this conversation at work today. I think its a bad idea and is just greedy.

It will increase under age drinking, violence , rape ,street crime and other issues even pissing in public and the polices job will be made a lot harder.

RED ARMY
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, November 23, 2005, 16:52:51 »

In Cardiff we already have bars open till 1, 2 or 3 am then people just leave to go to clubs that are open till about 3am.

The student's union pub the taf is open till 1 am and at the moment their club Solus is generally open till about 2 or 3am so what happens is people tend to transfer between them gradually but a lot of people go into the club at like half 11,they don't just stay in the taf just because it's open.

So I don't think it's really going to change anything except that people will be able to move when they want to in some places rather than when they stop serving and clubs should be able to make a bit more money by serving later which may be balanced by slightly less trade earlier on.

A club crawl would get quite expensive if they all charged entrance fees.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, November 23, 2005, 16:53:21 »

Quote from: "sade"
We had this conversation at work today. I think its a bad idea and is just greedy.

It will increase under age drinking, violence , rape ,street crime and other issues even pissing in public and the polices job will be made a lot harder.

I don't think it will increase it tbh. Some people are going to chill and pace themselves more because they have longer to drink. The effect of this would cancel out the people who will just carry on drinking vomit inducing levels.
Sade

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday, November 23, 2005, 17:04:04 »

Well I just took that from what I see on a staurday night out at about 2 in the morning these days! and guess it would be alot worse throughout the night. drunks every where, its bound to get a bit nasty. We will soon see I guess!

RED ARMY
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #53 on: Wednesday, November 23, 2005, 17:05:24 »

Quote from: "sade"
Well I just took that from what I see on a staurday night out at about 2 in the morning these days! and guess it would be alot worse throughout the night. drunks every where, its bound to get a bit nasty. We will soon see I guess!

Yeah but I think those people who do that now will be the ones that do it when it's 24hr. The people that go home fine will still be the same I reckon. It's hardly going to change for the majority of those sorts of people.
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday, November 23, 2005, 17:10:11 »

I regularly walk the mile home from the city centre at 3am in the morning and I've never seen much trouble even though there's loads of people about and that's in the city which is supposed to be the binge drinking capital of the world.

I don't think the amount of drink related violence will be affected much.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, November 23, 2005, 20:01:53 »

it wont stop binge drinking it will make worse. for those who said yes enjoy your liver faliure in 10 years!  Beers  Cheesy
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, November 23, 2005, 20:13:56 »

it means I can binge drink 3 or 4 times in 24 hours rather than 2 Cool

/
W56196272
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, November 23, 2005, 20:42:01 »

24 hr kebab shops are a must to accompany the 24 hr pubs surely?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, November 23, 2005, 20:55:34 »

i don't think it'll make any difference frankly. i can't see it spelling the end of the nightclubs either.

personally i'd rather sit in a pub all night drinking but i enjoy dancing like a twat as well, the choice would be nifty.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, November 23, 2005, 20:57:26 »

back in the eighties when the licensing laws changed to allow pubs to open all afternoon, doom and gloom was predicted, increase in crime alcholism, fighting etc. and guess what? that didnt happen. binge drinking is a media myth perpetrated by a lack of news. people in this country have been going out and getting cunted for over 200 years. look back at victorian times and see the amount of alchol related crime was far higher then than now.

in regards to nightclubs, yes some will suffer, the fuckin shit ones, that play shit music rip off door entrance fees and huge drink prices. any semi decent club will survive, people want to go out and dance not just drink.

the hours kept by this nation will shift over a period of time with people going out later and later, but in the long run, we are a nation of drinkers and long may that last.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: