Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Boring computer assistance  (Read 1159 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« on: Monday, January 10, 2005, 18:53:08 »

I am an utter useless git when it comes to computers, so can anyone help me with this scenario. My homepage has reset itself to something random (a crappy nonsense search engine that keeps adding crap to my favourites). When I change the homepage on 'Tools' and 'internet options' to another homepage and then click 'apply', the stupid homepage goes back to the original nonsense, I have tried this a number of times and no luck.

Any ideas, the homepage is starting to piss me off!!   :evil:

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
jim

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 10, 2005, 18:59:00 »

Get Adaware - it checks for browser hijacks.

Get decent anti virus

Get zonealarm as a firewall

www.download.com
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, January 10, 2005, 18:59:25 »

This is a classic sign of having 'spyware' on your pc. Best thing to do is to do a search for spyware and download a free spyware removal programme. Of course prevention is the best form of defence against this type of thing so make sure you are using a good firewall and antivirus on your pc, Norton is very good. Also be careful what you download, most things that want to give you stuff free (like email smilies) are a classic spyware programme.
Dazzza

« Reply #3 on: Monday, January 10, 2005, 19:11:06 »

Just to add make sure you update your copy of Windows.

I spent a whole evening about a month back getting some nasty randomly self-regen next generation spyware downloader off my system.

The bastard thing wouldn't get touched by Ad-Aware or Search & Destroy and would replicate to a random file when deleted.  It also downloaded every normal piece of spy ware when it was left to run havoc until my machine was close to a coronary.

Latest Windows Security packs seem to keep the things at bay.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022-10289035.html?tag=lst-0-2

sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, January 10, 2005, 19:14:23 »

Jim's spot on.

Ad-Aware
ZoneAlarm firewall
Grisoft AVG (anti-virus)

Get all of them. I'd recommend getting a proper AntiVirus program like McAfee or Norton and paying for it, it's well worth the effort. Other stuff to do is run Windows update (Start menu, right at the top) and if you're on WinXP, get the latest service packs from www.microsoft.com but Windows update should tell you that anyhow.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #5 on: Monday, January 10, 2005, 19:19:02 »

I got all these and they work a treat (Norton anti-virus tho)

You could get the yahoo toolbar which also has a spyware removal tool built into it.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, January 10, 2005, 19:29:47 »

Thanks for all the help guys, I have downloaded all the suggested software and my problem appears to have been fixed!!

Thanks again!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: