Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New printer/scanner  (Read 646 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« on: Thursday, February 29, 2024, 10:34:56 »

Can anyone recommend a printer/scanner that fits the following criteria.....

1. Decent enough quality
2. Doesn't require a mortgage to buy fucking printer cartridges

Thanks.

Note. I have to shell out around £40 for a colour and black multi pack that only manages around 150 pages, so something that has a better economy is preferred.
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, February 29, 2024, 12:22:38 »

A Brother laser printer. Mono is under £200 but colour doubles that. Laser cartridges last for ages compared to inkjet so depending how much printing you do will determine pay back versus inkjet. 
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, February 29, 2024, 13:30:54 »

I'd echo Cookie's advice.  I have the colour laser.  It is brilliant and I use it so much more than my old inkjets because you run off good quality material in seconds and they are dry immediately etc.  2 sided copying and printing saves paper too.  Also the output quality is consistently good. Replacement cartridges are pricey but they are comparatively good value because they last for ages.

Lasers won't match a good inkjet for photos however.

mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, February 29, 2024, 14:52:20 »

I've just bought a replacement black cartridge for my colour laser. The official one was about double the price of an equally good non-branded one. Just make sure to research if others have successfully used the non-branded replacements.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, February 29, 2024, 17:01:42 »

If you go back to inkjet there are a couple of options:
  HP has a 'continuous ink' program, you pay a monthly fee for X pages and they send you a new ink cartridge when your internet enabled printer tells home it needs more. Not saying this is cheaper, depends on volume I suppose. But it takes the sting out of replacement costs in one go

Epson have big tank capacity printers. More expense up front but should be cheaper to run - not done the maths.

Just something to look into maybe.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, February 29, 2024, 17:05:25 »

If you go back to inkjet there are a couple of options:
  HP has a 'continuous ink' program, you pay a monthly fee for X pages and they send you a new ink cartridge when your internet enabled printer tells home it needs more. Not saying this is cheaper, depends on volume I suppose. But it takes the sting out of replacement costs in one go

Epson have big tank capacity printers. More expense up front but should be cheaper to run - not done the maths.

Just something to look into maybe.

We do this, have 50 pages per month for £3.99
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #6 on: Friday, March 1, 2024, 12:18:30 »

Don't know if they do it anymore by my HP instant ink subscription is zero for 10 pages a month. If I need extra it's £1 per 10 pages. Only changed the cartridges twice in 5 years so I'm not exactly a heavy user
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, March 1, 2024, 13:39:12 »

Can't recall a zero cost option, but 10 pages wouldn't be enough for me so I may have just skipped over.

But it did remind me  - usually printers come with "6 months free instant ink" or whatever. You can also get referral codes and the like that give an extra 1-3 months - sometimes people on ebay advertise them for 1p with a link in the description (or did, I've not checked today). Probably have one myself on my account somewhere.

The codes used to stack, so I got 9 months free.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: