Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Accrington Stanley v Swindon Town Matchday Thread  (Read 16341 times)
Bob1978

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: Wednesday, November 29, 2023, 09:13:14 »

Great game to watch but ultimately conformation, if needed, that we are not getting promoted this season.

No I think we will go up via the play offs. Flynn is a fighter + has a knock out competition reputation to uphold after the abomination of our fa cup exit! Austin to score the winner at Wembley 85th minute.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: Wednesday, November 29, 2023, 09:13:44 »

If you can’t bring a couple youngsters on at 4-0 up in the 90th minute then when can you? Theyre not blameless in the near collapse but it’s harsh to blame it all on them, Accy were creating a decent amount of chances before they came on, they just happened to freakishly take 3 of them in injury time, horrendous game management though either way.

Don't think anyone's blaming the youngsters. For me it's the fact that he took the wrong players off

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: Wednesday, November 29, 2023, 09:14:04 »

To be fair he probably thought we were home and dry, we were 4-0 up after 90 mins!
He should have known better!
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: Wednesday, November 29, 2023, 09:35:18 »

Don't think anyone's blaming the youngsters. For me it's the fact that he took the wrong players off

I think for the players coming on (Hart a CB and Brown a CM) then the right players on paper came off. FBT and UGM are the more experienced of the CB’s and should have been able to guide Hart through those final minutes, Kinsella and Khan are the more experienced and combative of the midfielders so should have been able to do the same with Brown. So I think Minturn and McEachran were the right subs on paper if you wanted to bring those two kids on, had more than enough experience on the pitch to not capitulate like we did.

Granted that CB and CM are key areas to change but at 4-0 up on 90 minutes, you’d like to have thought it wouldn’t have resulted in that collapse.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: Wednesday, November 29, 2023, 09:40:03 »

Wow - not read back yet but what should have been a controlled 4-0 away victory turned into anything but!

As for the positives - a really professional display in the first 90 minutes. We looked confident from back to front and dangerous going forward. Having Kinsella as a DM has definitely changed the dynamic of the team. Good play to earn the penalty dispatched by Kemp and then a lovely move involving UGM, Hutton and Young gave us a deserved lead. Second half we dug in a bit but weathered what Accrington threw at us. (which wasn't a huge deal, random awarded penalty aside) Khan blasted in a third, which I think looked like a bit of chocolate wrists effort by the keeper personally and then Charlie neatly tucked away what looked to be the icing on a lovely, albeit cold looking cake.

Then injury time. Yes the impressive Adedoyin netted, but the game was still effectively won, only 7 minutes of injury time to defend a 3 goal lead, surely it was time to pack up and go home. Even when the old tactic of chucking a CB up front led to a 4-2 scoreline it did seem too little too late. But then in the 10th minute of injury time we just absolutely shit our pants and I couldn't believe what I was watching. More calamity and it was 4-3. Our kick off though, surely we roll it back for someone to leather it as far forwards as possible to allow us to gather our thoughts and reshape. No, back to Mahoney, standing outside his box, dispossessed to allow Adedoyin a simple task of putting into a goal defended just by FBT. Instead of lashing it home he hit it straight at Fraser, thank christ!!! 3 points, but to give away such a lead shows the frail mentality is still there.

Of course a second consecutive win is brilliant, but the way in which it happened means we went from a really pleasant drive home on the team bus to one full of confusion and questions. Swindon Town, it's never dull!!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: Wednesday, November 29, 2023, 09:48:34 »

There is one benefit of last night’s near capitulation.

It prevents any semblance that we can carry on much as we are with what we’ve got.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: Wednesday, November 29, 2023, 09:49:33 »

Leicester at Wembley proportions.
The last minute we nearly threw it away twice.

These academy kids of ours not anywhere near ready for first team football and need National League experience first as Minturn needed.

Never home and dry with Swindon.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: Wednesday, November 29, 2023, 10:06:21 »

I think for the players coming on (Hart a CB and Brown a CM) then the right players on paper came off. FBT and UGM are the more experienced of the CB’s and should have been able to guide Hart through those final minutes, Kinsella and Khan are the more experienced and combative of the midfielders so should have been able to do the same with Brown. So I think Minturn and McEachran were the right subs on paper if you wanted to bring those two kids on, had more than enough experience on the pitch to not capitulate like we did.

Granted that CB and CM are key areas to change but at 4-0 up on 90 minutes, you’d like to have thought it wouldn’t have resulted in that collapse.
I see your logic but for me, stick Brown on further up for Kemp and regardless of his experience UGM should have made way for Hart  as for me he was our weakest defender on the night if indeed Hart needed to come on at all. But just opinions

JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: Wednesday, November 29, 2023, 10:11:59 »

Something else about last night - how was their 3rd not offside??
adje

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: Wednesday, November 29, 2023, 10:14:52 »

Something else about last night - how was their 3rd not offside??
Good point and also what was Andrew on about on our 4th. Was expecting it to be ruled out

OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: Wednesday, November 29, 2023, 10:15:47 »

Good point and also what was Andrew on about on our 4th. Was expecting it to be ruled out
Apparently the lino briefly put his flag up and put it down again...
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: Wednesday, November 29, 2023, 10:20:33 »

Flynn can be as angry as he likes but a long look in the mirror is required after his decision to bring the kids on.

We don’t have a game for 10 days! Minturn could have pushed out an extra 10 minutes.

Brilliant work nearly undone. Perhaps he’s playing 4D chess and it was a message to Clem about what happens when we use our bench… or not!

I haven't played chess for a few years  Huh?
Broadbents Tackle

TEF Historian

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: Wednesday, November 29, 2023, 10:25:50 »

Apparently the lino briefly put his flag up and put it down again...

I'm pretty sure he was waving for a foul on Kemp as he was held back after flicking the ball on. The flag went back down when it was clear that Hutton was away.

Whether your eyes are green, brown, blue, let me see a little bit of red in 'em.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #358 on: Wednesday, November 29, 2023, 10:42:16 »

These academy kids of ours not anywhere near ready for first team football and need National League experience first as Minturn needed.
This.

I cant help feeling that Flynn is bringing them on as a point to prove to Clem that our squad isnt strong enough, highlighting how we are featherlight in terms of numbers. Accrington have 32 members in their squad plus a 4 scholars/1st year pro.

We have a squad of 23 plus about 4 regular scholars that are used. That squad of 23 included Dworzak, Benn Ward and the perma-injured Devine.

They average under 2,000 attendance but can still afford 9 more professionals than us. Do they just manage wage budgets better than we do?

As for the game it did sorta feel almost like a loss after the game when obviously it was a great win in reality but the way we crumbled yet again at the end scared us all, it seems to happen week in week out and has been that way all season, look at Wrexham for instance. We must concede more late goals thats any other team in the 92.

Otherwise it was a very enjoyable game between 2 fairly well matched teams with us having the more clinical strikers and them creating way more chances and a totally inept referee.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #359 on: Wednesday, November 29, 2023, 10:49:44 »

Found this on the ref.

https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/highwycombe/23886240.referee-seb-stockbridge-slammed-wycombes-luke-leahy/

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: