Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Women’s World Cup  (Read 14667 times)
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 12:32:11 »

How much hype was there for the England U21’s that won the Euros this year.

The final was the only game shown live on TV, and that on C4 (I think).
Absolutely fuck all coverage in the mainstream media.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 12:37:48 »

The ball barely touched the hand

It did not effect the path of the ball and the attacker came through the tackle with the ball.......

Therefore no penalty

I agree that if that is given every time then defenders might as well stop going fir balls in the air in the box.

But I expected the pen to be given as the ref was the same useless ref who let Australia get away with murder in the semi

I'm in 2 minds whether I agree with what you are saying or completely disagree. Firstly whether the ball barely touches the hand I think is largely irrelevant. I looked up Law 12 about handball and it states -

"touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised"

I think the wording is extremely vague and I think is meant to cover the examples where those defenders deliberately punch the ball away from a corner when the heads go up. I think you could probably make an argument that Ciara Walsh's hand/arm movement was justifiable, in that it appeared to be a natural 'movement'

What I do agree with you is that the minor flick off the hand didn't stop the Spanish player keeping control of the ball and therefore should play on advantage not have happened? Had the ball gone away in a different direction then I can see why a penalty should have been awarded.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 13:01:44 »

How much hype was there for the England U21’s that won the Euros this year.

The final was the only game shown live on TV, and that on C4 (I think).
Absolutely fuck all coverage in the mainstream media.

Oddly, the entire thing was on over here in the USA.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 13:04:46 »

Oddly, the entire thing was on over here in the USA.

That is odd, I guess it’s probably cheap sport
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 13:05:10 »

I *think* you could watch all the games on Youtube - not sure if that was just the England games or not.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 13:06:06 »

What hype? The difference with the Mens team is they usually get hyped before a ball is kicked in a tournament and then flounder (although they too have been pretty good in recent years to be fair).
As I think were the women before this one.And I'm informed by people who watched the whole thing that England performed poorly in the first 4/5 games but seemed to be exempt from the same sort of media criticism that the men have  suffered from in recent tournaments especially in the early stages. Just my opinion of course

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 13:10:41 »

The TV audience in the UK was 15m I think, which is pretty impressive in the modern age.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 13:13:46 »

If Roger Smart had been playing in the Women's World Cup, his Wembley goal would have been screeched as "SENSATIONAL" "A STUNNER" "A THUNDERBOLT" "WORLD CLASS".
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 13:26:24 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66578604

"Fans waited in the terminal to greet the team but they left without going through the arrivals area."

Poor. Would have been an easy win for them, even if it is "protocol."

I suspect the fact that they didn't win and it was off the back of a 24 hour flight back didn't help their aspirations to have a positive return...

Considering how much hype they normally manage to drum up surprised this Paddy Power add hasn't ruffled more feathers....

https://twitter.com/Nullen80/status/1693589034323390572
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 13:32:33 »

I suspect the fact that they didn't win and it was off the back of a 24 hour flight back didn't help their aspirations to have a positive return...

Considering how much hype they normally manage to drum up surprised this Paddy Power add hasn't ruffled more feathers....

https://twitter.com/Nullen80/status/1693589034323390572

Fuck, that's good! 
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Saturday, August 26, 2023, 08:46:43 »

this is not how it should have ended for Spain. Bloody hell, what a mess

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66626410
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Saturday, August 26, 2023, 09:01:16 »

It's sort of laughable how ridiculous sports administrators seen to be, except that they have a completely unreasonable amount of power and very little accountability.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Saturday, August 26, 2023, 09:22:24 »

How can the Spanish FA prove the kiss was consensual - surely the only person who can say that is the player kissed. And she says it wasn’t.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Saturday, August 26, 2023, 10:19:00 »

and he says it was.

so what do you do?

not what they are is the only answer I've got
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Monday, August 28, 2023, 12:20:27 »

The fact that it was on live TV simplifies things somewhat. It's all getting increasingly farcical now, I mean this is just gold:

"The mother of Spain’s embattled football chief, Luis Rubiales, has reportedly shut herself in a church in southern Spain and declared herself to be on a hunger strike over what she described as the “inhumane and bloodthirsty hunt” of her son."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/aug/28/spanish-football-chiefs-mother-declares-hunger-strike-in-support-of-him
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: