Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 38   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: League 2 completed transfers and L2 rumours 2023/24  (Read 59098 times)
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Tuesday, June 27, 2023, 11:34:20 »

There is a real expectation management problem this season as well. Most seasons we would reasonably expect to be top 7, as the assumption is that our support would put our budget somewhere in that range.

This season i think we all know there are at least 7-8 clubs that seem to have budgets in excess of ours. That's a hard pill to swallow for a club that really should be a league one club.

That means we need to over achieve this season to hit the clubs aims, and the fans requirements.

Everything has to go well if we are going to 'over' achieve, and that for most of us would include having the squad together as soon as possible. We can't afford to still be putting the squad together when we are 4-5 games into the season etc. Every game counts more than ever next season.

Still not even July yet. No panic yet. However i do hope the first signings are players that give the club some hope. If they are squad players or young potential then i think people are going to get very worried very quickly.

On the money 👍
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #136 on: Tuesday, June 27, 2023, 11:40:34 »

There is a real expectation management problem this season as well. Most seasons we would reasonably expect to be top 7, as the assumption is that our support would put our budget somewhere in that range.

This season i think we all know there are at least 7-8 clubs that seem to have budgets in excess of ours. That's a hard pill to swallow for a club that really should be a league one club.

That means we need to over achieve this season to hit the clubs aims, and the fans requirements.

Everything has to go well if we are going to 'over' achieve, and that for most of us would include having the squad together as soon as possible. We can't afford to still be putting the squad together when we are 4-5 games into the season etc. Every game counts more than ever next season.

Still not even July yet. No panic yet. However i do hope the first signings are players that give the club some hope. If they are squad players or young potential then i think people are going to get very worried very quickly.
Absolutely agree on all that.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Tuesday, June 27, 2023, 11:59:27 »

Agreed riddick.

My worry is we've publicly stated we need to make 500k in efficiency savings too. it is what it is.

But  I can't see where much fat can be trimmed except from the obvious playing side.

Maybe more money will come in somehow instead.
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Tuesday, June 27, 2023, 12:02:06 »

Agreed riddick.

My worry is we've publicly stated we need to make 500k in efficiency savings too. it is what it is.

But  I can't see where much fat can be trimmed except from the obvious playing side.

Hopefully Flynn can take us on one of those Newport style cup runs
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Tuesday, June 27, 2023, 12:15:47 »

Agreed riddick.

500k is a huge saving. Is that per year? If so i struggle to see how the club cuts that from its cost base given its turnover.

From the outside it looks like we have cut the clubs infrastructure to the bone.

Flynn did media interviews last Friday, the first since the last day of the season, and the club didn't publish anything on the official website at all. I hope with the players back tomorrow the clubs coverage ramps up. Sure its just preseason, but its engagement with the fan base that is fundamental to a community club and club trying to appeal to fans to still buy season tickets.

I guess this is the cost of running a club to its means. The challenge has to be where and when do we grow income.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Tuesday, June 27, 2023, 12:16:15 »

They may not get paid a huge amount, but I'd suggest our squad size last season did not help budget wise.  I'd expect us to be able to trim the squad down considerably and still add talent we need within a similar budget.  Add in a potentially decent Manager and we should be better placed than last season.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Tuesday, June 27, 2023, 12:18:51 »

Also, there are only two ways to run at a profit at this level - have media darlings onboard who attract sponsorship beyond normal levels, or sell players at big profits.  No offence to someone digging into their own pockets, but you should very well expect to be covering a 500k loss a season down here if you want to own a football club.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Tuesday, June 27, 2023, 12:57:00 »

500k is a huge saving. Is that per year? If so i struggle to see how the club cuts that from its cost base given its turnover.

https://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/siteassets/2022-23/documents/advisory-board-april-2023.pdf

"Maintain current season ticket levels and work to deliver c£500k in efficiencies so that we
can become sustain"

2023-24 - "club financials are balanced and sustainable for day-to-day business"
2025  - "FC becomes fully sustainable, running on breakeven for day-to-day and next round of annual
development financed by various income routes"

Per year, but as above doesn't say it will all happen this year to be fair.

Hopefully Flynn can take us on one of those Newport style cup runs

That would help! League cup looks tricky though
DMC

« Reply #143 on: Tuesday, June 27, 2023, 18:19:53 »

100 percent this. The players need to be ready to go straight away
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Tuesday, June 27, 2023, 18:35:39 »

If only we had some!
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Tuesday, June 27, 2023, 18:39:30 »

If only we had some!
Here ya go mate. I've got you covered!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Tuesday, June 27, 2023, 18:48:48 »

Summed up perfectly and all the lads I know and travel with are thinking the same.
DMC

« Reply #147 on: Tuesday, June 27, 2023, 18:56:30 »

Big BIG season this year for the ownership. I personally think they deserve the benefit of the douby after what they inherited and do honestly think that Clem trusted the wrong people last summer and thought what he was doing was right and would work.

They have rectified that and got rid of last sueasons problems so how they support Flynn now is crucial. Go sign 5 or 6 been there done it type players who will compliment the likes of Wakeling George McEachran , Cain Laviner etc and i think we could be ok. If we sign 5 or 6 long shots then questions will rightly be asked
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #148 on: Wednesday, June 28, 2023, 09:28:59 »

Morecambe add 4 players in the last 2 days including ex Town keeper Stuart Moore.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Wednesday, June 28, 2023, 10:24:32 »

Barrow signed Mazeed Ogungbo from Arsenal, defender who spent last season on loan at Crawley, no idea if he is any good or not.

Morecambe add 4 players in the last 2 days including ex Town keeper Stuart Moore.

Illustrates the point quite well, we have fans moaning that other clubs are signing players but we aren't, but if the club announced they had signed Stuart Moore there would be uproar.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 38   Go Up
Print
Jump to: