Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 ... 135   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager thread part (96837494)  (Read 167302 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1290 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2024, 18:26:52 »

About as dull as Maurice Malpas.

Clem, hurry up and sell up🤡
TailBetweenLegs

Ignore
« Reply #1291 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2024, 18:36:11 »

Swindon would be a great opportunity under a competent and ambitious owner who is willing to give a manager a competitive budget.

We don’t have that, so at the moment, anyone half decent manager with a brain cell would be mad to go near us. It’s career suicide.
I don't think it is the career suicide that many think, it's a free hit really. Anyone in football will know the conditions a manager is working under and i would imagine they would ignore anything they did at Swindon if it was shit or if you do semi well a team like Charlton or Crawley will come in for you anyway
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #1292 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2024, 19:06:03 »

Might have been grebo DIV that mentioned that we've been down the experienced, internal appointment, PL "name"  & failed in first job route. All have failed and / or jumped ship.

Not sure where we go from here.
Might as well give Gunning the job if he can get around the 40% win rate by end of the season.

Ultimately don't care what the manager says or how they say it. It's winning football matches that counts.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
TailBetweenLegs

Ignore
« Reply #1293 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2024, 19:19:00 »

I would rather give Sean Wood the job if we are going down that route. Looks tactically aware at least
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1294 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2024, 22:08:57 »

Is Gunning the best man for the job? Probably not.
Is Gunning the worst man for the job? Again, probably not.

Will Gunning at least try to play attacking football & at least try different things. Yes - something which Sheridan, Garner, Lindsey, Morris & Flynn were hopeless at.

Obviously bigger issues going on. Don’t think I’d be jumping for joy if Gunning for the job but wouldn’t be slitting my wrists either.

I can’t think of anyone that I’d rather have than Gunning off the top of my head…
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1295 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2024, 22:11:41 »

I'm struggling to see what Gunnings tactic is other than to try and play it forward quickly and use width.

when it works it's great, just can't see it being long term sustainable.

Also no idea if he and Russell can build an actual squad.

But as someone else said, it's about winning.  So I really won't care if he does that.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1296 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2024, 23:07:02 »

What was Flynn tactic? What was Morris tactic? What was Lindsey’s tactic?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1297 on: Thursday, March 7, 2024, 07:08:21 »

I'm not sure using failures as like comparison helps ease the worry tbh
joeydubya

Ignore
« Reply #1298 on: Thursday, March 7, 2024, 08:46:36 »

Make something work from a squad built by the recruitment of whoever pulls the strings
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1299 on: Thursday, March 7, 2024, 09:01:48 »

I'd argue most of them had tactics, they just weren't *good at them*.

Flynn had exactly one tactic and stuck to it rigidly to the point of it becoming a problem, three at the back with overlapping centre backs and a number 10 who most of the play goes through.

Lindsay was slow tempo, possession football, very much continuing Garnerball just with less success.

Morris didn't seem to have a consistent approach.

Gunning has shown a few different things tactically - generally it's been much more diagonal balls, quick breaks and attacking down the wings and bypassing midfield, but he's done some interesting stuff with inverted full backs in the last few weeks.

Broadly I agree with DV here - Gunning has a bit about him, he's not my ideal choice of manager but he's doing better than I'd have expected considering his complete lack of any experience.

Garner wasn't hopeless though.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1300 on: Thursday, March 7, 2024, 09:06:38 »

Go through that list of managers from Sheridactyl to Gunning and we’ve got progressively worse as far as results go.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #1301 on: Thursday, March 7, 2024, 09:20:41 »

I don’t think we’ll get much better than Gunning given our current plight. He’s shown that he can beat teams with crap defences and we’ve become a bit better defensively. For me the new manager is irrelevant until the owners go and we get in a bunch of players good enough for L2 promotion.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #1302 on: Thursday, March 7, 2024, 09:24:39 »

I don’t think we’ll get much better than Gunning
That has to be the most depressing thing anyone has written on here in a longtime.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1303 on: Thursday, March 7, 2024, 09:30:48 »

I'd argue most of them had tactics, they just weren't *good at them*.

Flynn had exactly one tactic and stuck to it rigidly to the point of it becoming a problem, three at the back with overlapping centre backs and a number 10 who most of the play goes through.

Lindsay was slow tempo, possession football, very much continuing Garnerball just with less success.

Morris didn't seem to have a consistent approach.

Gunning has shown a few different things tactically - generally it's been much more diagonal balls, quick breaks and attacking down the wings and bypassing midfield, but he's done some interesting stuff with inverted full backs in the last few weeks.

Broadly I agree with DV here - Gunning has a bit about him, he's not my ideal choice of manager but he's doing better than I'd have expected considering his complete lack of any experience.

Garner wasn't hopeless though.

Garner wasn’t hopeless but we still couldn’t see a game out properly under him.
Also to my memory he was very rigid with tactics and it was only an injury to Rob Hunt that saw him change and our form pick up during the run in.

I also thought some of the football was incredibly sideways, slow and dull under Garner.
I’m sure everyone’s aware I really don’t give a flying fuck about style as it’s a results business but sometimes it felt like we were a boxer trying to go the distance despite having the ability to knock our opponent out (or at the very least, try to)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1304 on: Thursday, March 7, 2024, 09:40:21 »

I don't disagree that the football was slow under Garner, but I think it kinda had to be with the squad we had - we just had no cover for any forward position. Davison literally played every minute from the start of March or so from memory, and our attacking options off the bench were JML, Aguiar, Parsons and Gladwin most weeks (we had a bit more squad depth defensively).

If you'd have played any sort of high tempo football with that squad they'd all have been broken in a week.

Now, whether Garner *would* have played any differently with a bigger squad I don't know (and doubt from his wider career) but it was the right way to play in those particularly circumstances. That was a huge overachievement of a season, which is why Garner got the Charlton job. It's just been shit ever since.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 ... 135   Go Up
Print
Jump to: