Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Bradford City Matchday Thread & chitchat  (Read 17589 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2023, 10:40:38 »

I wouldn't mind seeing Brewitt as a DM, he looks like he could do that nasty role to break up play.

it's funny how when you get a nasty CB it's often suggested they move into the DM role. I don't think it's the most ridiculous suggestion ever.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
BoA Vagabond

Tufty club

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2023, 10:41:25 »

Glad I made the effort to get there last night. Enjoyable for the most part and at times we looked cohesive and a team. Haven't thought that for months so it was a pleasant surprise and I thought a sparse crowd were pretty vocal. The best bit, goal aside, was not being bored by continual ineffective sideways passing. There was some of that still but we were a bit faster to move the ball on and a little more direct. Onwards and upwards.

Parasitic freeloading season ticket holder scum
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2023, 10:45:16 »

I do worry how high up the pitch he sometimes attempts to win the ball, he's like a puppy chasing a stick at times, trying to win headers high up the pitch. If the opponent beats him to it, or brings it down, he's then miles out of position. At least he seems to like to head and tackle though, we've missed that really.

I think this would be mitigated by having a midfield who could win a defensive header. Jonny did manfully last night but for every other game of the season it has been non existent. Perhaps that is why Brewitt pushes forward for those as he knows no one in front of him will/can. It does leave him out of position although there was a belting one early in the second half when he came crashing through Cook (I think) to win one. Would also be mitigated by him being that defensive midfielder himself, although I think that is one for next season.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2023, 10:48:56 »

I think this would be mitigated by having a midfield who could win a defensive header. Jonny did manfully last night but for every other game of the season it has been non existent. Perhaps that is why Brewitt pushes forward for those as he knows no one in front of him will/can. It does leave him out of position although there was a belting one early in the second half when he came crashing through Cook (I think) to win one. Would also be mitigated by him being that defensive midfielder himself, although I think that is one for next season.

Agreed. Midfield is pretty powderpuff and your almost certainly right about Brewitt trying to take control of carnage in that position of the park.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2023, 11:56:17 »

I think the Bradford fans description is pretty fair, apart from the Ref who I thought was spot on all game.

The first half had the chance to go very Gillingham - they had three or four really good chances vs one for us.  In the second half we nullified them better, especially when Kadji was off.  Cain did nothing of note, but he did stay in the middle.  Kadji, Khan and Williams were so far apart at times, and even when they were close together they were miles away from Bradford players.  You are really taking a risk if you have to be chasing a player all the time.

Before the game,  Batch put up a first XI, which looked terrible as a team but had eleven players worthy of keeping around as being beneficial for the squad.  We've then had mention of no need for a nuking and more a need for a spine.  I've said it before - that entire spine is needed plus a couple of others, all of whom are been there and done it players.   The eleven we keep create a squad of around 20 or so plus some young prospects like Minturn.  We have put together a squad of 30+ players right now, and lack the key ingredients for a successful first team, but have 25+ who are the infill players/development players.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2023, 12:09:32 »

Williams way too good for this level - the slander towards him is unfair. 10 goals now.

I know I bang on about Williams and I wouldn't call it "slander" but it is in my opinion a chronic under appreciation of a player who as you say is above tier 4. I think we should give him what he wants(within reason or affordability!) and build a team around him because I honestly believe you couldn't get a better player at this level

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2023, 12:11:51 »

I think the Bradford fans description is pretty fair, apart from the Ref who I thought was spot on all game.

The first half had the chance to go very Gillingham - they had three or four really good chances vs one for us.  In the second half we nullified them better, especially when Kadji was off.  Cain did nothing of note, but he did stay in the middle.  Kadji, Khan and Williams were so far apart at times, and even when they were close together they were miles away from Bradford players.  You are really taking a risk if you have to be chasing a player all the time.

Before the game,  Batch put up a first XI, which looked terrible as a team but had eleven players worthy of keeping around as being beneficial for the squad.  We've then had mention of no need for a nuking and more a need for a spine.  I've said it before - that entire spine is needed plus a couple of others, all of whom are been there and done it players.   The eleven we keep create a squad of around 20 or so plus some young prospects like Minturn.  We have put together a squad of 30+ players right now, and lack the key ingredients for a successful first team, but have 25+ who are the infill players/development players.

Agree with this. A spine is definitely needed but a spine isn’t going to make players like Shade and Darcy good enough for a promotion challenging team. Good squad options for depth but we still need to recruit better in the surrounding areas of the “spine”. To an extent (although possibly being harsh) I’d also add RHM and Wakeling (at least when out wide) to that too, players who run around a lot, cause a bit of chaos but aren’t the level of threatening they need to be in the right areas and the right moments. That’s what most of our squad feels like this season, a lot of players who are good squad depth options thrown together.
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2023, 12:14:53 »

I know I bang on about Williams and I wouldn't call it "slander" but it is in my opinion a chronic under appreciation of a player who as you say is above tier 4. I think we should give him what he wants(within reason or affordability!) and build a team around him because I honestly believe you couldn't get a better player at this level

I'd hinge the entire season ticket strategy on Williams. Get him signed up and then get him, Morris and Aberdeen to do a slick tugging the heartstrings video about how this year we fucked up and next year is going to be one long love-in, accompanied by soaring music, toothless grandads cheering, babes in arms in STFC bobble hats etc etc
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2023, 12:18:04 »

I'd hinge the entire season ticket strategy on Williams. Get him signed up and then get him, Morris and Aberdeen to do a slick tugging the heartstrings video about how this year we fucked up and next year is going to be one long love-in, accompanied by soaring music, toothless grandads cheering, babes in arms in STFC bobble hats etc etc
You should get a job in our marketing dept  Cheesy
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #279 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2023, 12:20:50 »

it's funny how when you get a nasty CB it's often suggested they move into the DM role. I don't think it's the most ridiculous suggestion ever.
This got me thinking about players who successfully moved position during their time ith Swindon, these are the ones I remember off the top of my head since I have been watching us.

Ross MacLaren from CB to DMC
Kenny Stroud from CB to MF
Alan MacCormack from MF to CB
Andy Rowland from CF to CB
Jimmy Quinn from CB to CF
Charlie Henry from RB to AMC/CF
Brian Williams LB to CM
Adi Viveash CF to CB
Kevin Horlock LB to CM
Lee Peacock CF to CM
Michael Timlin MF to LB
Christian Roberts CF to MF
Mildenhall I think played for the youth team as a CF before moving to GK as well.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2023, 12:21:30 »

I've been pretty critical of Williams in the past and probably as recently as a month ago have said I don't think the club should bother offering him a new contract. (I generally dislike the sitting down on the pitch waving arms around antics which probably clouds my judgement) But I think I've now changed my mind. 10 goals from midfield in what has been a very un-cohesive season for the club is a superb return and as you say at this level he could be worth his weight in gold. If we can get him extended and recruit the proper calibre of player for a L2 promotion campaign we should see much better individual and team performances next season.

adje

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2023, 13:12:00 »

This got me thinking about players who successfully moved position during their time ith Swindon, these are the ones I remember off the top of my head since I have been watching us.

Brian Williams LB to CM
Adi Viveash CF to CB
Kevin Horlock LB to CM
Lee Peacock CF to CM
Michael Timlin MF to LB
Mildenhall I think played for the youth team as a CF before moving to GK as well.
As opposed to Antoine Van Der Linden! Unsuccessfully switched from defence to attack by Andy King

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2023, 13:12:37 »

Tom Broadbent. CB to CF!

Nathan Byrne went from full back to winger.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2023, 13:14:43 »

Quote from: molepar
should get a job in our marketing dept  Cheesy

can probably have one, obviously voluntary Smiley
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2023, 13:19:33 »

Brian Williams LB to CM
Adi Viveash CF to CB
Kevin Horlock LB to CM
Lee Peacock CF to CM
Michael Timlin MF to LB

Jimmy Glass GK to CF. Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: