Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town vs Tranmere Rovers Match Day Thread  (Read 25284 times)
adje

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Monday, April 10, 2023, 14:57:11 »

Let's be honest,we are the better footballing side out there of two average sides,but... nowt to show for it as usual

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Monday, April 10, 2023, 14:58:08 »

Personally I think Williams is our best player today. Kept possession,won free kicks and set up our best chance. FBT has won a fair amount of challenges but the rest pretty average. RHM came alive at the end of the half. I find it ironic that without Austin, we've put more balls in the box in that half than the previous 2 or 3 games put together.
Once again though,a piece of rank bad defending has cost us

I know you love Williams - he has had some nice touches, one good driving run and some peachy passes.  But he mixes that with 40 minutes of being absent (like when he watched a ball played out from their box bounce over his head and let the defender run free beyond him).  He's an asset when you have two central midfielders who can run for him, cover for him and generally boss the show.  We don't have that, so Williams is as much a liability as he is an asset.   In fact, we have several players exactly like him - Shade (much worse by the way) who does nothing, RHM who runs around a lot, McEachran who flits around with nice touches but tackles players shins, Khan etc.  None of them can be "trusted" to dig you out.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Monday, April 10, 2023, 14:59:27 »

Khan has been pretty meh all season, along with the rest of the midfield - we should be looking at better caliber of player if we are serious about getting out of this league.  George Mc has shown glimpses, but that is about it for me.

No he hasn’t.
He’s good enough for this league. We have plenty worse players.
It’s a competent manager we need first and foremost.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Monday, April 10, 2023, 15:00:25 »

Quote from: adje
Let's be honest,we are the better footballing side out there of two average sides,but... nowt to show for it as usual
not aimed at you specifically

I'm not even sure what 'footballing side' means any more.

we pass it around but create little.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Monday, April 10, 2023, 15:00:34 »

I know you love Williams - he has had some nice touches, one good driving run and some peachy passes.  But he mixes that with 40 minutes of being absent (like when he watched a ball played out from their box bounce over his head and let the defender run free beyond him).  He's an asset when you have two central midfielders who can run for him, cover for him and generally boss the show.  We don't have that, so Williams is as much a liability as he is an asset.   In fact, we have several players exactly like him - Shade (much worse by the way) who does nothing, RHM who runs around a lot, McEachran who flits around with nice touches but tackles players shins, Khan etc.  None of them can be "trusted" to dig you out.
Yes I get what you're saying but he is our most creative midfield player by a long way. Not disagreeing that he could do with more quality around him

OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Monday, April 10, 2023, 15:01:27 »

Williams has only ever shown what he can do in flashes in all his time at the Club. Very, very disappointing...
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Monday, April 10, 2023, 15:02:11 »

Showing what he can do in flashes comfortably puts him in the top quartile of this squad though.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Monday, April 10, 2023, 15:03:25 »

Showing what he can do in flashes comfortably puts him in the top quartile of this squad though.
Top one I'd say🙂

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Monday, April 10, 2023, 15:03:31 »

Yes I get what you're saying but he is our most creative midfield player by a long way. Not disagreeing that he could do with more quality around him

Which is why he worked well last season when rotated with Gladwin, for the most part.  Both luxury additions with experience and shared the load.  Payne did the running, Reed held the middle and controlled the ball.  That combination was good, not great, but good.  We should have been looking to improve on that for this season.

McEachran and Williams would work, if you rotated those like we did with Gladwin.  Khan is not as good as Payne, and then we have nobody where Reed would have been (so end up using a Williams mkII, asking for trouble).
Cowley38

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Monday, April 10, 2023, 15:05:12 »

No he hasn’t.

Khan has been as bad as the rest of the midfield which has been rubbish.

He is not good enough for League 2.......
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Monday, April 10, 2023, 15:05:39 »

aside: Duncan disorderly really making no impact at fgr whatsoever.

in fact he may have an even worse record than Morris..

one local game next year, though I'd happily live without going back to their shitheap ground again
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Monday, April 10, 2023, 15:06:06 »

No he hasn’t.

If you think Khan has been our stand out midfield player, then maybe that just shows how far we have fallen with regards to quality of our squad - we are now happy with mediocre players.

Flashes yes, but our most influencial midfielder this season left in January and polarised our fanbase, all of the time.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Monday, April 10, 2023, 15:06:36 »

Khan has been pretty meh all season, along with the rest of the midfield - we should be looking at better caliber of player if we are serious about getting out of this league.  George Mc has shown glimpses, but that is about it for me.

Mate, if the senior management are serious about the clubs long term future along with the stadium development then getting out of this dire league is and has to be their No.1 priority. The fans are not going to come through the turn styles and advertising is going to dwindle. Those two certainties will make going forward even more difficult.

When crashed and burnt at Vile Pork the cogs, wheels and gears should have been turning in a forward motion bring promotion this season along with debt reduction adding the ground purchase as a cherry on the top.

Someone, someone at the top has made a monumental fuck up. I have no idea what they were thinking of. It may well transpire that they knew this season was going to be a shitshow in which case with a little bit of foresight that could have been communicated to fans in a way that there wouldn’t be the backlash there is.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Monday, April 10, 2023, 15:07:01 »

not glad all over then Bernie

personally think khan is ok. But is ok good enough as a starter for a promotion aspiring team?

nope
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Monday, April 10, 2023, 15:07:23 »

Which is why he worked well last season when rotated with Gladwin, for the most part.  Both luxury additions with experience and shared the load.  Payne did the running, Reed held the middle and controlled the ball.  That combination was good, not great, but good.  We should have been looking to improve on that for this season.

McEachran and Williams would work, if you rotated those like we did with Gladwin.  Khan is not as good as Payne, and then we have nobody where Reed would have been (so end up using a Williams mkII, asking for trouble).

Yeah this is fair, lots of players in our squad want to play very similar roles - Williams, McEachran, Cain, Darcy, Aguiar are basically five diminishing returns version of the same player. McEachran can be a bit more of a wasp off the ball, he certainly was in his early games, but less so recently. A couple of those alongside a few stronger ball winning and retention types, and I reckon they'd perform a lot better.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: