Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Leyton Orient pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 20891 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 19:11:09 »

Yeah, I wouldn't call us a possession team this season.

Lindsey might want us to me, but he probably wants us not to have an absolute abortion of a back line either so its long list of things he wants that he isn't providing.

First half 51% to 49%

Clem, hurry up and sell up🤡
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #166 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 19:11:20 »

Gladwin clears straight to their player who cant finish in the box.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #167 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 19:12:57 »

1st decent attack by Williams but we didnt have a strike rin the middle for the cross. Good chance.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #168 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 19:13:16 »

HT 1-1

adje

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 19:14:16 »

Why didn't he lob that throw in the box? Fucking annoying

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 19:16:32 »

First half 51% to 49%

90% in our half though.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 19:17:26 »

Interesting, but not especially encouraging half.

The reason I said "possession team" is because that's what Lindsay describes us as - and he shut down suggestion of counter-attacking in the prematch presser. We do look to be happy to pass it round at the back of the pitch, but Orient seem very happy for us to do that as well, standing off until the ball is with someone with limited options and then pressing mercilessly and often winning the ball back. Our only real attacking ideas seem to be balls over the top which to be fair aren't going that badly.

Orient's attacks in the first part of the half were mostly through Archibald having FBT on toast, that stopped in the second part of the half but mostly because Orient decided just to run through the middle of the pitch instead with just as much success - Moncur having an absolute day out (how I wish we had him!) and our midfield is just... not really applying much pressure when they're in possession, leading to runs on the defence which also isn't coping well.

The midfield is the problem for me - although I think Gladwin's been the best of them. They're not really shielding the defence or advancing play for us - Gladwin and Khan are both comfortable in possession but mostly interested in running with the ball themselves rather than finding the pass. Reed is, sadly, well short of his best. It might not be as simple as an in form Reed making his team work, but we need to get that player back asap because it would absolutely help.

On the bright side, Wakeling is causing Beckles a lot of problems and Brynn continues to look solid - he's not had to make any worldies, but he's had plenty to do and has done the job. And McKirdy is off the mark and looks more involved than he has all season.

There are some good players on that pitch (and not all in gold, before some wag says it), it's just not quite working tactically. What I would say for Lindsay is that we've quite often improved after half time this season - so let's hope so.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 19:19:35 by Nemo » Logged
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 19:17:34 »

90% in our half though.

Have we got a manager who knows how to change things!

Clem, hurry up and sell up🤡
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 19:17:54 »

I’m here and think Gladwin has been one of our better players.

there is no doubt he still has some skill and a strong shot but his lack of speed in the midfield really hurts the team.  having a player there that get back on defense as well as join the attack is needed
adje

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 19:17:56 »

Nice to know last seasons McKirdy is still in there. If last seasons Williams and Reed can follow, it would go a long way to my blood pressure not rising whenever I think about football.
Can't have everything at least we seem to have "last season's Gladwin" back

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 19:18:49 »

It’s clear that this isn’t just new players bedding in now. I can’t see how it can change as things stand.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 19:20:00 »

For me,Khan and Harry Mac are the only 2 rating more than a 5/10 so far. The whole back 4 is having a collective 'mare

ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 19:20:52 »

90% in our half though.

Which was how it was last year only we had 70% a lot of the time.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 19:21:05 »

For me,Khan and Harry Mac are the only 2 rating more than a 5/10 so far. The whole back 4 is having a collective 'mare

Brynn? Wakeling?

Not really sure I understand what Khan does. I like his close control, but he's a bit of a more athletic version of Gladwin with a little less technical quality in my limited analysis.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 19:21:36 »

I’m here and think Gladwin has been one of our better players.

He has been, but only when near their box, which is his biggest problem really.  He has a great skillset on the ball and confidence around the box but no legs.  Having him in a midfield with nobody who can tackle or run around is a problem.  You have to find a way of leaving him wandering if you have him the team I think.  Him and Williams together seems like a luxury we cannot afford right now.  Williams has done nothing much to avoid criticism either.  I'd probably prefer Gladwin to Williams at the moment, but revert to last seasons rotation.

Overall it's a rinse and repeat of Carlisle.  Some flashes when we get do manage to get possession in their half, which is where all our talent is.  A midfield that has left enough space for an Airbus A380 to land and defence without a decent defender (based on performances thus far).

Reed has been poor in previous games, but today his performance looks poor because he doesn't actually seem to know what he is there for now.  We are not using him like we did last season, so when we have the ball at the back he looks pointless.  When we attack he is not an aggressive forward looking player so not much point there and he has about as much presence as a ghost when it comes to defending.  I really just think he is a spare part if we keep this going, which is a waste but you'd simply have to drop him.

Hutton cannot defend, no instincts.  The other full back looks pretty poor as well.  No real idea on Clayton yet - my hope is he could do the defensive role in midfield.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 19:25:09 by RobertT » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: